10.3, latest 0.2, Athlon 64 3200 - fast!!!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

10.3, latest 0.2, Athlon 64 3200 - fast!!!

Post by Guest »

Running the latest 0.2 prebuilt by the kinda person on this forum, and on my Acer Aspire 1501 Athlon 64 3200 it's very quick!

The question is, would an Athlon 64 optimised build yield significant improvements?

Where can I get one, or how do I build one?

Thanks!

P

Post by Guest »

Are you my fucking twin from another dimension? Read:

http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1260

Post by Guest »

Hehe...

So how would one go about compiling for A64? Can't be that hard? Would we see improvements?

The 100% CPU usage fan-buster is a bit annoying atm...

P
Jackalo
Granny Smith

Post by Jackalo »

No, because the Athlon64 is a pile of crap. If you want a real 64bit processor, buy an Intel Itanium.

If you want a speedy processor, buy a Pentium 4 Northwood 3.4GHz and overclock it to 4GHz on standard fan cooling.
Avalant
Space Cadet

Post by Avalant »

Hmm, great idea calling one processor crap, without backing it up with any sort of factual information. Then tell people to buy an overpriced server processor that makes people in the IT industry weep. (The 'Itanic' as it has been nicknamed.) And guess what? You can't generally reach 4GHz on a P4 Northwood on standard air cooling. (especially if you meant the HSF that comes with the processor.) It's hard enough to hit 4 or 4.1GHz with phase change cooling solutions that cost $500. If you look around at a lot of hardware websites, you'd notice that in many tests (such as gaming and standard app tests) that an A64 3200+ (and in some cases an A64 3000+) can outperform a P4 3.4C and 3.4E. The 3400+ and FX-53 do even better. Multithreaded and heavily optimized applications prefer the P4, but that's not all software and sometimes the performance difference is very neglible. So really, processor choice comes down to what applications you're going to use most often, and whether you care about multithreading or not. Neither processor is "better" for everything, but there are pros and cons. We're talking about Pear PC performance here. The P4 seems to be at a disadvantage when it comes to PPC. Probably because IPCs and cache seem to determine the performance rather than massive clock rates.
Jackalo
Granny Smith

Post by Jackalo »

Actually, quite the contrary, the Intel HSF that comes with it's processors are just about the best HSF that money can buy. You can put a 3.4GHz Northwood to 4GHz on standard fan cooling with it. You really should read ProCooling and HardOCP more.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Well , anyway Windows is not in 64-bit code , so it should not be that fast..Unless you are running on a 64-Bit Linux , which might be fast...

Post by Guest »

Jackalo -

Why don't you go see the new A64 3800 reviews :)
Avalant
Space Cadet

Post by Avalant »

Yes, you can hit 4GHz on air, but it's pretty much a crapshoot. People seem to hit 3.7-3.8 more consistantly, and with cheaper processors. Luck of the draw is a huge factor (how close to the center of the wafer your chip came from), as well as the quality of the motherboard and RAM you're running the processor with. For a 3.4GHz P4, the chipset/RAM would have to be able to hit 235mhz, and be stable (unless of course you decided to run asynchronously which would kill your memory bandwidth). In most cases, this requires expensive RAM (or getting really lucky with some PC3200 or PC3500) and perhaps extra cooling on the northbridge. Although, you could get lucky and just hit 4GHz at random.

P.S. Ironically enough I was browsing the news on Hard|OCP when I read your post...
Frostbite
Space Cadet

Post by Frostbite »

Alright, I have both proc's. an OC'd 2.8c running at 3.8, and an Athlon64 3400+ Now after playing with both ALOT, I have to givemy props to the Athlon64... First, You can run 64bit windows, microsoft released a public beta... Second 64bit windows is fucking fast... On the reviews of the 64bit they use they 1184 build of Windows64, but that is not a good build, it was designed for internal MS usage only. If the reviews would use the 1069 build they would see much more performance. I get a 10-30% gain in BattleField Vietnam, and a 30-50% gain in Unreal 2004, and these are only 32 bit programs! For me all I need to do ic OC the proc in my Athlon rig by 100mhz for it to hold up to my Intel rig like nothing... That is not including 64bit mode, which I don't even need to overclock. So don't go dissin a processor you don't have, this thing is awesome, and AMD is back in a good position. And on reference to ITANIC, my Athlon64 beat the itanic 1.4ghz in single processor performace, so shut the hell up and go back up your information....
ollebolle
Student Driver

Post by ollebolle »

AND HE' S AN ADMIN??? 8O 8O :evil: