Windows Networking, It's finally here!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

bolero

Post by bolero »

i got the web to work in Mac os X with that analogyX proxy, but when i tried to downlaod stuff all of a sudden he proxy starts to use 100% of my cpu which makes pearpc run at a stopped rate

any other recommended free proxies?

-bolero
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Trif wrote:ICS works in 2120. I can't comment on RC1 as I didn't try it then. Hopefully a new build soon. I still maintain however if you are running XP, ICS is not the best way to do this. Using a Network bridge between your actual NIC and the Tap32 one in Windows is the real deal.
maybe yes, but I for one have a pci DSL modem that appears as a Dial up network in Xp. I tried to make a bridge but XP only does it for ethernet adapters...

bolero: look for freeproxy 3.7. Very mighty but a lot more copmplex to setup. But frankly, I never had problems with Analogx...
Chewyfood
Space Cadet

Post by Chewyfood »

I can't run ICS on this computer...

Im already using this computer as an ICS client. Windows (XP and anything previous) doesn't allow one to double-down on ICS.

My only other option is bridging the TAP connection and my adapter connect to my inhouse ICS network. But my OSX 10.2 install doesn't give me any evidence of it recognizing the RealTEK adapter.

My config file is fine. I using this PearPC distribution: http://www.kelley.ca/pearpc/pearpc_noar ... net-R2.rar
I had to change around the booting behavior...made it "select"...made the master the Hard Drive and the slave the CDROM. I also set prom_env_machargs = "" to avoid darwin. Do i need to have that on for the adapter to work?
Trif
Space Cadet

Post by Trif »

[quote]
maybe yes, but I for one have a pci DSL modem that appears as a Dial up network in Xp. I tried to make a bridge but XP only does it for ethernet adapters...

bolero: look for freeproxy 3.7. Very mighty but a lot more copmplex to setup. But frankly, I never had problems with Analogx...[/quote]

Interesting, I take it you are not on a Lan then, in that case then you do not have the Dueling NAT issue, so ICS will not cause any problems. I should have prefaced my comment with something to the effect of when a router is involved...
Kensuke
Student Driver

I love networking for Windows

Post by Kensuke »

A Hi to you guys from Safari. It took me almost two days to get this to work. If you are havong trouble, input a actual DNS server. That's how I got mine to work!
Mr.Gibs

HELP

Post by Mr.Gibs »

yo dudes, i got the networking to work but how to change the page search time...im running the redraws at 30ms and everytime i go to a site it says this page cannot be openened blah blah blah after searching for 60secs...actually it only searches for 2secs....should i change my redraw time or can i change the time safari takes to search for a site!
ghw9132

Post by ghw9132 »

Has anybody using os 10.1 had success with recognizing the realtek adapter?
gionni

10.1.8 to 10.2

Post by gionni »

I can't make this damn networking thing work on 10.1, like the user that posted before me i'm beginning to think that people qho did it were using panther.
Anyway at this present time i'm upgrading to 10.2...
Don't do it, start from scratch, it's taking an endless time to upgrade!
If anybody else got network working with 10.2 please post, so at least we'll know we are not wasting our (precious ;) ) time....

cheers

Post by Guest »

when using a proxy like analogX is there a way to get downloading stuff off the net like say msn messenger to work, because safari tells me decoding of file failed.

-bolero
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

ghw9132 wrote:Has anybody using os 10.1 had success with recognizing the realtek adapter?
I don't think so. I couldn't even get a confirmation of it working in 10.2. I guess you need Panther.
vma

Post by vma »

Hi,

I managed to get Networking up und running.

I had the following difficulties, which may help others:

- wrong Build: make sure that you get the right PPC.EXE!
- setup de config file properly: the new build uses a different network entry, than the original build -> instead of 3com it is a realtek adapter!
- setting up ICS: I had ICS already setup for my home network (which includes an Xbox - I forgot that ICS connects to just ONE adapter! I had to disable ICS, select the virtual adapter and turn ICS on again

Then it worked using DHCP!

I am using an AMD XP 2000+ (a little slow) with Mac OS X 10.3, installed on top of Darwin.

Cheers,
vma
iceboi

networking issues under windows

Post by iceboi »

Hi everyone I fixed last issue by downloading R2 but next issue I have is I'm running mac os X 10.2.8 and it can't finded the realtek nic card. I have try to install the drivers and it did not work. I install 3com drivers and change the config to 3com and it pick it up but the emulator shutdown if I apply the settings. I'm running windows XP PRO with SP1 and openvnc with 2 beta 2. I can network under linux using 3com nic.

I think there may be bug in it. I also try install it on secound pc and it does same thing. Has any one got it to network under windows xp under macos X 10.2 if so what does your config and network panel like. how did you install your mac os X 10.2.8
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Re: networking issues under windows

Post by Ph0eniX »

iceboi wrote:Hi everyone I fixed last issue by downloading R2 but next issue I have is I'm running mac os X 10.2.8 and it can't finded the realtek nic card. I have try to install the drivers and it did not work. I install 3com drivers and change the config to 3com and it pick it up but the emulator shutdown if I apply the settings. I'm running windows XP PRO with SP1 and openvnc with 2 beta 2. I can network under linux using 3com nic.

I think there may be bug in it. I also try install it on secound pc and it does same thing. Has any one got it to network under windows xp under macos X 10.2 if so what does your config and network panel like. how did you install your mac os X 10.2.8
I may be wrong but I don't think anyone running Jaguar- has been able to get it to work. I know I couldn't so I upgraded to Panther and it's working like a charm using the ICS solution now.
kiran_tsp
Inquisitive Elf

MAC OS X 10.2

Post by kiran_tsp »

As Iceboi told nobody could setup the network card in MAC OS X 10.2...
We Hope the guys at sorceforge notice this and comeup with a solution. 8)
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

As Iceboi told nobody could setup the network card in MAC OS X 10.2...
Networking is possible in 10.2 HOWEVER I don't belive with SP2 for WindowsXP...if you look he said he downloaded and installed RC2...prehaps I am wrong....let me know
kiran_tsp
Inquisitive Elf

Netwrok..

Post by kiran_tsp »

well cybermagellan...I am using HD-OS-X-Panther-PREP.img & MAC OS X 10.2 on my PC with Window XP SP1...will this configuration work out in identifying the network card on clicking sytem preferences->Network in Pear PC...or do i need to update my PC to XP SP2...i think SP2 is not available for download...can u please let the group know about your combination of MAC OSX image name, OS version & windows PC configuration....

Re: cable not connected

Post by Guest »

goranche wrote:can't connect after update to 10.3.4
rebooted pearPc/Mac and no network

Goran

I had the same problem!

Try this:
go to network panel in osx 10.3.4
select Show->Network port configuration
uncheck your realtek
Apply
recheck your realtek adapter
Apply

The red dot should become green!

At least it worked for me!

Ciao!
Paolo.
iceboi

Realtek bug

Post by iceboi »

The realtek card does not work with MACOS X 10.2, but I found out that if you load on CVS night build thats made after the 28th of May, I found that if you use the 3com NIC in pearpc, its possible to get the 3com NIC to network fully under Windows XP. Also the build made after the 28th of May has a lot of bugs fixed in the networking area.
I was able to bridge the network links together so the fake 3com card can link directly in to my real network card to make it possible to use all the network serivces without an issue. Like for eg. if you have ADSL/LAN internet you can use it like you would if using a normal network card without running it under two seperate networks. So you can setup one ip address or you can use the DHCP from your standard network setup, in both Windows and MACOS X.
Another issue this fixes is your gateway and your DNS are the same as your network, so if you have a router it will work like it was a real MAC, so the issue of routers is fixed. Also you can use different subnet masks like for eg. My work uses multiple IP masks 192.168.0.X 192.168.1.X etc.
Good luck, I'll be in touch as things progress.
P.S I'll also start writing up a guide.
Anakin Skywalker
Space Cadet

Post by Anakin Skywalker »

I've read all of the forum's replies, but did not find anything case similar to mine, to solve my problem.

Even though MacOS finds the TAP adapter, I am not able to connect to the internet...

Here goes: MacOS X 10.3, WinXP SP1

I am connected to the internet through an ICS connection over LAN. So it is not really possible to enable ICS on the TAP connection. Although my thoughts would be that it would work without ICS, it is not really.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS. Connection is ntl:home cable
truth
Student Driver

I can not even install openvpn-2.0_beta2-install.exe on XP

Post by truth »

Hi all,

I even could not install openvpn on Windows XP SP2. Is there anybody experienced same problem? I receive the error below.

I think becaue I could not isntall it, PearPC shutdowns itself immediately saying it could not find TAP-WIN32 drive.

I also could not undestand where and how am I suppose to use win32netR2.patch which we are asked to download from http://www.kelley.ca/pearpc/

I will be glad if somebody can explain it with screenshots.

Thank you.
Regards

Post by Guest »

to Anakin Skywalker:

you cant enable ics on the tap connection , only on your primary connection. try this guide i wrote http://pearpc.net/guides.php#networkingwin

Post by Guest »

and truth: you need this http://www.kelley.ca/pearpc/pearpc_noar ... net-R2.rar not the patch
truth
Student Driver

Post by truth »

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

I already downloaded the file you mentioned ( http://www.kelley.ca/pearpc/pearpc_noar ... net-R2.rar ) and running PearPc from that one. In that case the patch I mentioned (win32netR2.patch) is not necessary?

Also what might be the problem of OpenVPN? Do we have to install something before, like .NET?

Thank you.
Regards
Last edited by truth on Sat May 29, 2004 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anakin Skywalker
Space Cadet

Post by Anakin Skywalker »

My connection to the internet is through another pc on the lan. When I try to enable ICS on the LAN connection, it says that ICS is already running.

Perhaps this could be an ip configuration problem

Post by Guest »

Anakin Skywalker wrote:I've read all of the forum's replies, but did not find anything case similar to mine, to solve my problem.

Even though MacOS finds the TAP adapter, I am not able to connect to the internet...

Here goes: MacOS X 10.3, WinXP SP1

I am connected to the internet through an ICS connection over LAN. So it is not really possible to enable ICS on the TAP connection. Although my thoughts would be that it would work without ICS, it is not really.

Any help would be appreciated.

PS. Connection is ntl:home cable
Try setting the gateway/router address on the TAP adapter to your Internet gateway's IP.