Windows Networking, It's finally here!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Post by Guest »

to truth > the patch is not neccesary , you can delete it.
hmm i guess you could try re downloadng it , net framework is not requierd.
Anakin Skywalker
Space Cadet

Post by Anakin Skywalker »

Tried to alter the router/gateway address from the TAP adapter but when I run ipconfig to see what address the TAP has when running, instead of something like 192.168.0.200 it gives me something like 168.245.0.1 ...

What gives?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Anakin Skywalker wrote:Tried to alter the router/gateway address from the TAP adapter but when I run ipconfig to see what address the TAP has when running, instead of something like 192.168.0.200 it gives me something like 168.245.0.1 ...

What gives?
Give the TAP device a manual address in Windows.
Anakin Skywalker
Space Cadet

Post by Anakin Skywalker »

I have done that several times and even restarted the PC to check if it would be ok. Apparently, the adapter properties say that it is ok, but when i riun ipconfig, it either gives 168 something or 0.0.0.0 which is more suspicious

EDIT: I finally managed to see the correct ip in ipconfig but still when I set the ip manually in MacOS it gives me a warning that this ip is already in use, how could that be?
truth
Student Driver

Post by truth »

Hi,

I can not see your name because your posts appear as Guest, but thank you for your replies. As you mentioned the problem was my download. I downloaded OpenVPN again and I could install this time.

But now I have this problem "The appication System Preferences has unexpectedly quit"

My seetings for the network in my config file are

pci_rtl8139_installed = 1
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:35"

and the network connections look like

I am connected to internet through a router.

Any idea what can I do to solve this problem?

Thank you.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Any idea what can I do to solve this problem?
LAN adapter 2 should be 192.168.1.64...
Inferno
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Inferno »

now i made myself an account. well i would suggest a reinstall to fix the crashing. and the LAN2 should have the same gateway adress as the default LAN.

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your replies.

I understood a few mistake I made, like I had not set the Internet Connection Share for tha Lan Card which connects to the router. And the IP of TAP-Win32 Adapter must be in the Lan card IP Range. Now I corrected them. And the configuration looks like this.

But I still have this error.

I have one question here. The MAC address in the Config file (pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34") and the Physical Address of Local Area Connection 2 are different (in the window above as you can see it is 00-FF-34-12-7B-B3 for me) . Doesn't it cause any problem?

And Inferno, you say you wold suggest a reinstall to fix the crash, do you mean whole MacOS X?

Thank you.
Regards
Inferno
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Inferno »

yes , i think its the easyest way :?

The difference between mac and psyhical adress should not produce any problems.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Before you re-install, try the following:

- comment-out networking in your config file
- delete the file NVRAM
- in OS X delete the file com.apple.systempreferences.plist
- shut down and restart OS X with Realtek card commented-in

truth
Student Driver

Post by truth »

kybernaut wrote:Before you re-install, try the following:

- comment-out networking in your config file
- delete the file NVRAM
- shut down and restart OS X with Realtek card commented-in

I am afraid I was a bit late to read your suggestion. I started to reinstall the whole system and it will thake more 2 hours to finish. I just hope it solves the problem. But thank you anyway.
truth
Student Driver

Post by truth »

Ok, after installing the whole system from the beginning, I am at the same place with the same error message. It is really sad...

kybernaut, I would like to follow the things you suggested earlier which I missed, but I could not understand how to do exactly the line below;
and what will happen if I delete the file NVRAM? Won't it cause problem when PearPC won't be able to find it?

Also I am not sure if it may be causing the problem, but I had 10.1 and 10.3 upgrade CDs, so I installed 10.1 first, then upgraded with 10.3 images.

Thank you.
Regards
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

hello truth,

since you just have reinstalled, I fear that my tips won't help you. I would rather think the upgrade process 10.1 --> 10.3 is messing something up.

In OS X, try this:

- set your system file permissions back to defaults (this is done from Harddisk utility in the dir applications/utilities) -->repair permissions

- then create a new user account in OSX, this way you can start over with default system preferences. maybe that cures your problem.

(btw. the NVRAM is a parameter "RAM" that can be deleted (pearpc creates a fresh one)

good luck :wink:
JJ

Unknown Identifier Error\Can't find image

Post by JJ »

When i add the lines about the network card to the config file, it won't start pearpc, a command prompt just appears for a second and then disseapears. If i start it from the command prompt (not with the windows file association), it either gives me an unknown identifier error and provides the line number of the network card code or it says that it can't find the hd image, which works fine with the normal config file.
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Re: Unknown Identifier Error\Can't find image

Post by Ph0eniX »

JJ wrote:When i add the lines about the network card to the config file, it won't start pearpc, a command prompt just appears for a second and then disseapears. If i start it from the command prompt (not with the windows file association), it either gives me an unknown identifier error and provides the line number of the network card code or it says that it can't find the hd image, which works fine with the normal config file.
Most likely you're using a version of PearPC that does not have networking support.
JJ

Safari Time-out

Post by JJ »

I got networking working in Windows XP with 10.3 (Panther), but can only load quick pages (like my router's config) beacause of the safari time-out. The time-out occurs after three seconds and says sixty seconds have passed. Is there any option in safari to change the time-out? OSX? Or does it have something to do with the redraw interval (i am running a 10ms refresh rate)?

Post by Guest »

kybernaut wrote:- set your system file permissions back to defaults (this is done from Harddisk utility in the dir applications/utilities) -->repair permissions

- then create a new user account in OSX, this way you can start over with default system preferences. maybe that cures your problem.
I have followed your suggestions but unfortunately I still have the same error. I am afraid it is because of the upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3.

Thank you all for your replies.

Regards
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Anonymous wrote:
kybernaut wrote:- set your system file permissions back to defaults (this is done from Harddisk utility in the dir applications/utilities) -->repair permissions

I have followed your suggestions but unfortunately I still have the same error. I am afraid it is because of the upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3.

Thank you all for your replies.

Regards
I'm sorry to hear that. During upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3, there should be an an option called "Archive and install"... This is the preferred way to do an system upgrade.
truth
Student Driver

Post by truth »

kybernaut wrote:I'm sorry to hear that. During upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3, there should be an an option called "Archive and install"... This is the preferred way to do an system upgrade.

Thank you for your reply kybernaut. I will resintall the whole system once more to be sure. :?

Regards.
truth
Student Driver

Post by truth »

During upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3, there should be an an option called "Archive and install"
Unfortunately there was not "Archive and install" during the installation... :(

But thank you anyway.
Regards
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

truth wrote:
During upgrading from 10.1 to 10.3, there should be an an option called "Archive and install"
Unfortunately there was not "Archive and install" during the installation... :(
It is well hidden in a sub menu very early in the setup process...
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Is it in the Installer menu? Or the Installer Preferences?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

CaptainValor wrote:Is it in the Installer menu? Or the Installer Preferences?
It is an "option" or advanced" button that appears during clicking through the installation wizard... I once performed such an upgrade from 10.2 to 10.3. The advantage is that you essentially do a clean install, all existing files are backed up before.

kybernaut
Cindy
Space Cadet

Post by Cindy »

No matter what I do netwroking won't work, I'm totaly lost as to what the ip adress should be set as , nor what the other value should be I've tried different combinations and got as far as getting a green light but still can;t get on the net with safari, what am I doing wrong.

Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Hi everyone.
I have just deleted most of the irrelavent posts from this thread as it is quite long.
I have shortened it from nine pages to seven pages.

Apologies go to MDZ726 or whatever your name is, your post count is now a bit lower than it was before i cleared this thread out. Sorry about that :D