Windows Networking, It's finally here!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

litghost
Tinkerer

Post by litghost »

I could start it with the same config, but im still installing OS X. (os x did detect the card though). Also has anyone tried bridging connections? This is what I have done, but haven't tested it out yet.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

MDZ61384 wrote:captain, does the mac address in your config end with 34 or 35?
mine was finishing with 35 and i changed it to 34
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

Chr1z wrote:hi ! for some reason my "IPv6 Address" its not showing in the Network panel on OSX 10.3, it could be a problem ? thanks in advance..
no the thing you have to set is not the IPv6 but IP4 wich is on the same window but on top
iceboi

Issue 2.0 Beta 2 Working?

Post by iceboi »

Hi everyone after trying 2.0 I install 1.6 and it pick it up. But in MAC OS X there no Network card port? I also try 20.0 beta 1 and it would not start up. Is there same I need to do to it?

Thanx
Lupochen

Complete Configuration that works!

Post by Lupochen »

I was confused, when people throwed parts of their configuration into the discussion. For a long time it didn't work for me. So by now, I got it all working and want to tell others, what I did:

At first: My network consists of a router (IP: 192.168.1.1) and the win-client (IP given by DHCP: 192.168.1.12).

I enabled the ICS (InternetConnectionSharing) for the normal Network-Device (the one with IP: 192.168.1.12).
I installed the TAP-Driver and as Jackalo said, I set up the ip-adress of the TAP-Device as follows:

IP: 192.168.2.1
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1

DNS-Server: 194.25.2.129 (free DNS Server for everyone)
alternative DNS-Server: 192.168.1.1

Then, after booting into Mac OS X, I found the new Network-Device (the TAP-Device) and configured it like this:

IP: 192.168.2.200
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Router/Gateway: 192.168.2.1 (TAP-Device-IP in Windows)

DNS-Server: 192.168.1.1 (Router-IP)

Now, as I said, got it all working.

Greetings
Lupochen
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Iceboi:

Does your ppcfg_hd file have this included?

pci_rtl8139_installed = 1
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"

for the network?
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

VERY IMPORTANT

For those of you who upgraded to the new R2 version, this is why you might be getting a fully-functional network setup in OS X but still no networking...

You need to make sure the ICS for your main internet connection points to the NEW TAP-WIN32 connection. That's what my dilemma was. :)
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

CaptainValor wrote: You need to make sure the ICS for your main internet connection points to the NEW TAP-WIN32 connection. That's what my dilemma was. :)
How do you set that up? ...I couldn't find any options for that in my ICS settings - there are just two checkboxes - one for enabling the ICS and another one for allowing users to control the ICS.

Bottom line: has anyone gotten it to work with Jaguar? My NIC doesn't get detected in OS-X, even though the TAP adapter gets enabled every time I start up PPC. It would seem as if Jaguar doesn't have a driver for the emulated Realtek card.
ghw9132

Post by ghw9132 »

Using OS 10.1 on boot it states that the TAP adapter is enabled, but no NIC is recognized by mac os.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Again,

Do you have this in your ppcfg_hd file under the network part?

pci_rtl8139_installed = 1
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"
Xanthracus
Inquisitive Elf

Re: Networking problems on 10.2

Post by Xanthracus »

jlancaster wrote:I have installed the driver from Realtek for OS X 10.2 but this does not resolve the problem of the card not appearing in system preferences.
Nor me. The lines:

pci_rtl8139_installed=1
pci_rtl8139_mac="de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"

are added in the configuration file.
Excuse my screenshot (dimension limits) and take a look on the console
Amaranth
Student Driver

Post by Amaranth »

For those of you having trouble, prehaps http://dev.realistanew.com/win32net/ would help. Look at all the pretty pictures.
t0ys0lider

Post by t0ys0lider »

i have the same problem as Xanthracus and i've been at this for several hours. i've reinstalled the tap drivers a few times, i've let windows assign the tap nic an ip, i've manualy set the ip. but in all cases, OS X does not see the nic. now i have to raise the question, has anyone running 10.1 been able to get this too work and if you have, please tell us how. the only reason i ask this is because so far, the people that seem to be having this issue (pearpc loads nic, but OS X doesnt) seem to be people with 10.1. someone, please prove me wrong.

TS

Post by Guest »

Ph0eniX wrote:
CaptainValor wrote: You need to make sure the ICS for your main internet connection points to the NEW TAP-WIN32 connection. That's what my dilemma was. :)
How do you set that up? ...I couldn't find any options for that in my ICS settings - there are just two checkboxes - one for enabling the ICS and another one for allowing users to control the ICS.
This depends on the number of network connections you have installed: if there are more than one, you can choose which one to use.
panoz

Post by panoz »

Got networking running, downloaded the 10.3.4 update, installed it, rebooted.. and no networking! cable not attached.. wtf! installed the new tap32 driver and downloaded the new networking build but no luck at all.. same error message! damn it.. hope someone has a fix for it.. :/
panoz

Post by panoz »

nevermind.. followed the http://dev.realistanew.com/win32net/ instructions and that did the trick! =)

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:
Ph0eniX wrote:
This depends on the number of network connections you have installed: if there are more than one, you can choose which one to use.
I have 3 including the TAP one - still no options.
Grzegorz

Post by Grzegorz »

I also had networking working until I upgraded to 10.3.4, now Port 4 is not plugged in. WTF :(
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

I think I can see a problem for those of us who do not directly connect to the Internet using the same host machine that runs Pear PC.

My setup is as follows:

Internet Gateway Sony Vaio, 256MB, adsl via broadband modem to web.

Dell Inspiron, 512MB connected via 100 mps NIC to Vaio, Vaio is DHCP server 192.168.0.1, Dell has dynamic IP address

PearPC emulator, 256MB connected via 10 mps NIC to Dell, using a Network Bridge. That means the PearPC would also have a dynamic Ip Address, and adapter shows connected when Pear PC is running. But the OS does not detect the new adapter.

So, in summary, all the network bits are working, it's just that the OS on the emulator doesnt recognise the NIC.
Powerbook Pismo G3/400 256mb (on order)
Powerbook G3 192mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 128mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 32mb (Kanga)
Powerbook 280c 12mb (Duo)
PearPC P4 256mb (networking not working)
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

XP SP2 RC1 Users,

don't wonder too much if you dont get ICS to work on you machine. This appears to be an issue with the RC1 and is discussed in several forums.

In my case, I didn't get ICS to work neither with PearPC nor with any other computers on my local network (which worked fine before SP2).

What I did as a workaround to get Internet access working on PearPC (and others) was installing a proxy server on XP. There are several free ones available. I used AnalogX proxy which is very light weight and easy to configure.

kybernaut
Xanthracus
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Xanthracus »

Amaranth wrote:For those of you having trouble, prehaps http://dev.realistanew.com/win32net/ would help. Look at all the pretty pictures.
Thanks Amaranth for your comprehensive guide, but I not solved the problem. I think is not on PearPC, this recognises the "card". I think is on MacOSX 10.2x.

Is anybody resolving the Network problem in Jaguar??????????
Khorne

Post by Khorne »

I've try as you with Analog HTTP proxy.

It seems that Mac OS X through Pearpc succeed to connect to proxy, but immediately it disconnect:

Code: Select all

05/27/2004 12:02:41.000: 3958428   - HTTP Client connection accepted from 192.168.0.52
05/27/2004 12:02:41.010: 3958428   - HTTP Closing socket (1)
That's Analog's log. 192.168.0.52 is my ip under Mac OS X.

Got anyone an idee what happen?
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Khorne wrote:I've try as you with Analog HTTP proxy.

It seems that Mac OS X through Pearpc succeed to connect to proxy, but immediately it disconnect:

Code: Select all

05/27/2004 12:02:41.000: 3958428   - HTTP Client connection accepted from 192.168.0.52
05/27/2004 12:02:41.010: 3958428   - HTTP Closing socket (1)
That's Analog's log. 192.168.0.52 is my ip under Mac OS X.

Got anyone an idee what happen?
I suppose you already set up OSX for proxy use? In network preferences, you have to enter your proxy adress (your TAP NIC IP) and the port (default is 6588 for HTTP)...

Post by Guest »

I already do that!
Ph0eniX
Mac Mechanic

Post by Ph0eniX »

Any of you guys who got it working run OS X.1 or OS X.2?