network frustration...please help

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MDZ61384
Tinkerer

network frustration...please help

Post by MDZ61384 »

hey guys...

well nothing seems to be working for me. I upgraded to 10.3.4 hoping it would fix my problems. so far hasn't worked. heres the deal

yesterday was trying to get network working with my wireless network...here are my specs

dns/dhcp server/my router ip = 192.168.1.1
my computer IP = 192.168.1.2

anyway, I'm not even THERE anymore. I configured my router with all sorts of funky settings...I also configured my TAP device with manual settings. someone suggested to me to try to upgrade to 10.3.2 or later to see if that would work, apparently thats supposed to be better as far as wireless connections go. so I did that...but I didn't wait patiently enough for the installer and x'ed out pearpc because I was impatient. completely messed up my installation. all I would get is the rotating circle...and then a plain blue screen. mac osx wouldn't boot up.

so...I say ok. reinstalled osx with previous settings. took the good part of 2/3 hours. me thinking previous settings would help. they didn't. network cards were configured as they still were, and my settings were now different for my TAP card. it now wasn't recognizing tap at all. so I go in and removed all the realtec pci connections from network manager. I just upgraded to 10.3.4...and all I have is built in ethernet under network port configuration (2nd drop down box). nothing is left in network status...it is blank.

I try to enable the drivers in my config file but then pearpc won't boot up at all. It just flashes and quits. I get this error if I go commandline and try to start pearpc myself:

[TAP-WIN32]: Enumerating TAP devices...
main() caught exception: Could not locate any installed TAP Win32 devices

The thing is, tap IS installed...I've installed it and uninstalled it countless number of times with no sucess. I have ICS connected to the TAP connection through my wireless connection so that works no problem. I've installed, rebooted, uninstalled, rebooted...all with no sucess. I'm out of ideas and would appreciate any help you guys could give me. I can't seem to connect to the pearpc irc channel through the java chat or through trillian.

thank you
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

hhhmm, at least I have the impression that you're wasting energy with installing updates in OSX
which certainly has nothing to do with your problems. Also the fact that you have a wireless router should not be of any significance because OSX never will get aware of the exact way you're are connected to the internet.

I also had the flashing and quitting, until I downloaded the build from http://www.kelley.ca/pearpc and configured everything as it is described there.

So, for you the order of getting things done is...

- get the tap device seen by PearPC (try different builts and configs)
- Set up the new ethernet connection under OSX
- assign IP numbers and subnet masks

post again, if you have still questions after that!
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

I took the suggestion from another forum member...at that point nothing was working so it was worth a shot. I downloaded the build from that site and I got it to recognize itself. thank you so much! hopefully it will be smoother from here...

I will have to work with the IP numbers...sadly I only know basic networking, but I"m doing what I can to learn! you seem to be quite knowledgeable...hopefully I will get it running soon. again, thank you for your help...doesn't really make sense to me why it doesn't work under the newer builds, but I"m not asking any more questions than I need to. thanks again :)
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Because of the fact that you already use the 192.168.1.x type IP numbers, you have to modify the numbers on the kelley site to setup a working network.

Let all the IP numbers you use begin with 192.168.1 and only alter the last digit. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.
okt
Student Driver

Post by okt »

MDZ61384, I too am using a wireless router with its ip as 192.168.1.1, and my computer at 192.168.1.2, and haven't been able to get it to work, I am able to ping inside the netowrk but not outside.

Information: (maybe this will help)

Configure IPv4: Manually
IP Address: 192.168.1.20
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.1.21
DNS Servers: 192.168.1.21
Search Domains:
IPv6 Address: fe80:0000:0000:0000:dcad:caff:fefe:1235
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

okt, your TAP-32 device is 192.168.1.21, right? Did you configure ICS already?
okt
Student Driver

Post by okt »

I configured my TAP-Win32 to 192.168.1.21, and enabled ICS
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Try the bridging instead of the ICS... Someone in the main Windows network thread (page 6 and 7 I think) says that all router users could run into trouble because of 2 NATs in the same subnet...

Good luck...
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

bridging the connections worked...thanks so much for your help :) :D
okt
Student Driver

Post by okt »

Ok after bridging then what do I do?
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

start up pearpc, let it find the network, and connect using the automatic settings. it should work...did for me! :)
okt
Student Driver

Post by okt »

It worked, I will be writing yet another guide so others can enjoy in the networking. I had to put the DNS servers from ipconfig /all into the box in OS X.
Pat
Space Cadet

Post by Pat »

Hey okt, have you updated OSX to 10.3.4?
All i get after doing that is that the cable isn't plugged in.
Alot of others get that too after what i've read here.
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

pat: try bridging the connectiosn and see what happens

Post by Guest »

Got it up now, after alot of brainstorming.
Read on someones post that they had uninstalled and reinstalled openvpn.
Did that, but not sure if it was that that fixed it but it's running now.
Using bridging, something i haven't looked at before. Took some time before i realised that the hosts IP is to be set as router in OSX.
Thinking about it now it all makes sense.

Thanks for alot of great posts everyone.
Pat
Space Cadet

Post by Pat »

That's my post above here, forgot to log in :)