Expediated Web Browsing in OS X

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Expediated Web Browsing in OS X

Post by CaptainValor »

Shortly after getting networking running in OS X 10.3, I started using Safari to browse around for new icon files to download onto the Mac system. What I noticed right away was that Safari seemed rather sluggish in rendering pages. So I dropped by Mozilla.org and downloaded Firefox 0.8 Mac, Camino, and Mozilla 1.6 Mac. Mozilla was about the same speed as Safari, but Camino and Firefox render pages noticeably faster. I now use Firefox for my Mac web browsing and it's a lot more satisfying.

Just thought I'd pass this along. :)
JAWheat411
Space Cadet

Post by JAWheat411 »

LOL
I immediately downloaded and installed Firefox after I got it all up and running.
/me is a Firefox addict.
TheUN

Post by TheUN »

Sweet!

I just installed opera 7.50; works like a cham :D
Image [/img]
TheUN
Space Cadet

Post by TheUN »

I wasn't registered so I can't fix the typo I just made. Won't happen again :wink: !
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Opera! Why didn't I think of that...

Gonna try that out now. :lol:
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

captain: do let us know how opera turned out compared to the others

personally I loaded firefox last night and tried it...so far so good
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Well, the configuration of Opera is a bit more lengthly than that of Firefox or Camino, and you do have to deal with the ad banner (whether generic or customized Google ads). Overall though, I did notice it rendered the pages slightly faster than Firefox. Also, Opera seems to start up faster than Firefox and Safari, but still not faster than Camino.

So in conclusion, I would recommend either Opera or Camino for web browsing under OS X in PPC. :)