New "SDL" version

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

trexplorer
Tinkerer

Re: SDL 0.3

Post by trexplorer »

ngoyal wrote:There's a new SDL out, with the windows binary posted on the pearpc.net site

However, it won't load at all and keeps terminating and says

"Application failed to initialize correctly (0xc0000005)"

Has anyone else tried using the SDL 0.3 binary that's posted on the PearPC site?

Is there another compiled 0.3 version out there?
I tried 0.3 binary, but had problems w screen res and instability; no real speed improvement - going back to 0.2 ...
Cyman
Tinkerer

Post by Cyman »

Nope, the sdl_app wasn't running (I made sure, before you posted that).
And yeah, I'll try it with the new build!!!

EDIT:
This very last build gives me the same thing. I'll retry it with the old settings (select).

EDIT#2:
This time it reacts on my keyboard strokes, anyway, as soon as I choose my OS X partition, the window disappears from new.
Maybe, it's because my networking part doesn't work?!
I give myself the answer:
No, it isn't. So, why doesn't it boot as it should?!
Last edited by Cyman on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Re: SDL 0.3

Post by CaptainValor »

trexplorer wrote:no real speed improvement
I find that hard to believe. :roll:
ngoyal
Space Cadet

Post by ngoyal »

Found build at

www2.wonderwallfriends.de/ppc-sdl.0003.exe

I noticed 0.3 didn't react to the resolution set in the config

on my comp it always showed up as 1024x768 (the resolution of my monitor) and slowed everything else down

Dont know if its speed improvement or not, but it slowed down windows, so i went back to 0.2 also
jhkl
Tinkerer

Post by jhkl »

I find the this SDL version to be faster than 0.2pre. The problem is that the timing issue hasn't been fixed yet, so as these builds get faster, so does the clock. The clock's spinning out of control and the IE icon's jumping up and down like a manic!!!

Other than that, it's not bad. :D
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

well with .0002 i get a bit further now i can now boot the partition by setting it to auto but it freeze at the screen where i should have the grey apple instead i get this
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

ataxy wrote:well with .0002 i get a bit further now i can now boot the partition by setting it to auto but it freeze at the screen where i should have the grey apple instead i get this
You can fix this by going to another res in the config file ... try 4 or 5. Some screen resolutions have been removed in these builds throwing out the number sequences ... Generally this version doesn't seem to work so well (unstable and not any faster than the 0.2 SDL build) ... Cheers.
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

jhkl wrote:I find the this SDL version to be faster than 0.2pre. The problem is that the timing issue hasn't been fixed yet, so as these builds get faster, so does the clock. The clock's spinning out of control and the IE icon's jumping up and down like a manic!!!

Other than that, it's not bad. :D
Now that the SDL GUI is faster you could try increasing the timing in the config file allocating less resource to screen redraw and more to cpu intensive tasks ... My setting is 50 on a P4 3.2Ghz and I get very good animation as compared to a real Mac.
ibanezcollector
Student Driver

Post by ibanezcollector »

sdl 3 works fine for me

and hell resolution 5 is 1280x1024 woo hoo
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

Ok changing the res to 5 did the thing for the boot screen but it still freeze at the grey apple and afterward i am force into reebooting my comp to be able to stop it as all sing of it disappear from the task manager but my comp becomes slow as hell.
So i think ill try ver .0003 to see what it does
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

well no luck with ver .0003 but atleast this one shuts down properly
litghost
Tinkerer

Post by litghost »

WTF, resolution 5 is 1280x1024, thats just messed. They need to release documention on what they have done on the config files, its abismal. Also there are no arrow keys, no right mouse button. This version is coming along, and hopeful will be brough into the trunk, because speed wise it takes the cake by leaps and bounds, but all these bugs are extremely irritating. Also I think SDL would be the perfect lead-in for any graphics card emulation(ie using hardware). We shall see what happens.

:edit: finally found console output, it goes to files named stderr and stdout(because they dont exist in windows). Now I wish they would simply get rid of the console window all togther, if they are going to pipe to a file.
willvg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by willvg »

could someone just post a compiled version with fullscreen/net/and 2 button mouse

i am real bad a compiling so i have had no luck,
rob2687
Space Cadet

Post by rob2687 »

willvg wrote:could someone just post a compiled version with fullscreen/net/and 2 button mouse

i am real bad a compiling so i have had no luck,
ditto..too noob to do it i guess :oops:
willvg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by willvg »

ill do it if i have to but there are ppl in this forum that have much more experience and could prolly get it compiled with patches in 1/4 th the time that it would take me
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

ataxy wrote:well no luck with ver .0003 but atleast this one shuts down properly
If your config file still has refresh rate, comment out (the # symbol) that line.
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

ibanezcollector wrote:sdl 3 works fine for me

and hell resolution 5 is 1280x1024 woo hoo
Is it any faster than the 0.2 SDL version and is windows running slower for you ...?
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Amazing! The new SDL 0003 version is the best yet! You can finally change your resolution on-the-fly in OS X, where there are more resolution options.

Only downside now: Option key not mapped.

Other than that, it rocks. :)
willvg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by willvg »

could someone please post a compiled 0.3
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

trexplorer wrote:
ataxy wrote:well no luck with ver .0003 but atleast this one shuts down properly
If your config file still has refresh rate, comment out (the # symbol) that line.
yeah it is i have even set the things they say on there webpage but no luck yet
litghost
Tinkerer

Post by litghost »

No it isn't implimented. Works w/o refresh flag, doesn't work with
stdout.txt =
"C:\pearpc\ppccfg.pearpc: unknown identifier 'fs_refresh_rate' in line 20.
usage: ppc configfile"
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

litghost wrote:No it isn't implimented. Works w/o refresh flag, doesn't work with
stdout.txt =
"C:\pearpc\ppccfg.pearpc: unknown identifier 'fs_refresh_rate' in line 20.
usage: ppc configfile"
if this is an answer to my post it was commented out
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

heh...i've grown to live with a 4 year pc that can't play games....i doubt pearpc will ever be that fast on it

my goal would be, being able to run OS X on my PIII as fast as a 233mhz G3...i think that would be good enough for me

I'm looking at a new laptop though...even though my current Dell is a complete POS...the new Inspiron XPS looks awful nice...so that being said...by the time pearpc does get real fast i'll have a P4 anyways
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

ataxy wrote:
trexplorer wrote:
yeah it is i have even set the things they say on there webpage but no luck yet
Mostly comon sense, but you might try the following:

1) restart your pc if you haven't already
2) delete nvram file
3) comment out screen res (SDL version doesn't need it)

Good Luck ....
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

SDL version 0.3 seems working ok for me now but don't notice any speed improvement over 0.2. Things like changing screen res on the fly worked for me in the 0.2 version, but are supposedly fixed in the 0.3 versions for those people that had problems ... not much difference for me. Overall pretty fast and smooth (Safari launches in 20 seconds - running P4 @ 3.2 Ghz). Chess app no longer crashes. Networking still drops connections, particularly during software updates or LAN file tansfers. Comments appreciated from others ...