New "SDL" version

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

New "SDL" version

Post by CaptainValor »

According to some recent announcements on PearPC.net, there's a new version of PPC called "0.3 SDL". It claims to give a speed boost, as well as offer some video-related enhancements. Currently it's only available as source, however.

Does anyone know of or want to make a binary of this new release? I can't wait to try it. :)
Llama
Student Driver

Post by Llama »

Why do you think that it exist? Maybe it's kind of release plan, but now I check web cvs and see no brances except common. If you have any information, please let us know ;)
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

llama, its on the front page of pearpc.net...though the developer just said that most windows users are out of luck for now as windows doesn't support the same setup that linux does

hopefully we'll see a build of this soon. I hope! 8O
Llama
Student Driver

Post by Llama »

Damn! I gonna build it. But why out of CVS???
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Darn, you're right about the developer saying that. :x

This sucks, all the better versions of PPC are gonna start being linux-exclusive. :(
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Yeah, I just hope that a scism doesn't develop and gets so bad that the most usable versions are only on Linux. It could just turn into another sheephaver :(
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

That's a good way to kill interest in the program; exclude 80% of your audience.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

From a developer's pov, it would make sense to use any avenue you could to make it run better, especially since it is not comercial.
vaag
Space Cadet

Post by vaag »

i compiled the SDL version on Mandrake 10 and (ofcourse) ran it. Unfortunately I only know the speed on win32 (1.9 Gig), never tried it on linux, which is also on my other machine. One thing I know for sure: the mouse is SMOOTH! (@ 40 refresh)... Emulation is slow though (AMD 800).
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

correct me if I"m wrong, but weren't the fullscreen and network patches both developed on windows computers? eliminating 80% of the audience may limit projected development in other areas as well, as people have already started to branch out and develop "plug-ins" for pearpc...eliminate windows and we may not be networked right now. I think this is something we should keep in mind, by killing 80% of the audience, you essentially are killing projected creativity too.

hopefully something comparable to windows will come out soon. a polished and professional website works well and validates correctly on many major web-browsers (at least...this is smart development), the same goes with programming. I'm not hinting that pearpc is not professional or smartly developed, however it would add to the already robust image pearpc has if it performed equally quickly on both windows and linux.

just my 2 cents...(don't flame me)
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Didn't Linux have networking before Windows?

Really though, I would trade fullscreen mode for enhanced graphics utilisation and performance. I really would
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

oh I totally agree. even though I'm on 16*12 I could use 1024*768 if grapics was better

I was under the assumption that the screenshot in the first networking post was of windows. perhaps I'm wrong.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Right now I don't run in Fullscreen. The only thing I wouldn't sacrifice at this point is networking.

Apparently nilss tracked down a Windows binary of the latest SDL here:

http://www2.wonderwallfriends.de/ppc-sdl.exe

I'm about to try it.
jhkl
Tinkerer

Post by jhkl »

I just tried the SDL version. It's not bad, but it needs a lot of refinement. OS X seems a little less laggy, but the problems with the mouse take away any joy one could possibly have with this version. If the developers could fix the mouse problems then this would probably be the version that I would run (especially if they could implement full screen mode).

My 2 cents. :)
alfa_dude
Space Cadet

Post by alfa_dude »

just tried that binary, doesn't do anything! absolutly nothing! :(
I'd kill for a little more speed!
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

captain: I posted the sdl dll for you to use on pearpc.net

in case you didn't get it, here is the link here

put in your pearpc install directory

the mouse problems are apparent...but its a step in the right direction at least. whatever you do, don't press f12! I had to end the process b/c my mouse got stuck inside the pearpc window
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Yes I figured that out the hard way as well. ;)

Overall I agree, this IS a step in the right direction. But the lack of the Option and Command keys being mapped, as well as network support, will keep me from using this on a regular basis.

If only all these great improvements could be integrated into one master build. That would be the ideal situation. :)
litghost
Tinkerer

Post by litghost »

Wait a minute, why is there no networking? The windows R2 patch has been commited. Thats just weird.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Sorry my bad. Apparently there is networking support in the SDL version.

Well, I'm still miffed about not having my Option and Command keys. ;)
litghost
Tinkerer

Post by litghost »

*heart beat returns to normal*
Did they fix/commit the right-click patch, because I'll be quite ticked off if there is no way to right click.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

How the hell do I use the SDL version. I have the SDL.dll file in my ppc folder and the ppc-sdl.exe file also. from the command prompt I get NOTHING when I try to start it except a text file telling me the correct usage generated (which by the way doesn't work)
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Well here's another reason not to use the SDL version currently: the keyboard mapping is totally wacked-out. As in everything is not in the right place. Typing "apple" gives you something like "u7704".

Freaky. 8O
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

Marc wrote:How the hell do I use the SDL version. I have the SDL.dll file in my ppc folder and the ppc-sdl.exe file also. from the command prompt I get NOTHING when I try to start it except a text file telling me the correct usage generated (which by the way doesn't work)
Just create a shortcut then right click on the shortcut choose property and in the target box type:
F:\ppc\ppc-sdl.exe "ppccfg.ini2"
its mostly the red quoted comment that is important as this is what will point your exe to the config file, the name of your config may vary,
but i doubt it will work mine started all the way up to where i choose the bootable partition and there it froze and was actualy quite hard to stop even with the task manager.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

still crashes with absolutly no text on the console. hmm

OK. Got it. It was taking exception to a line in my config

I too am stuck at the screen to choose the partition and it is wrecking havock on my system. Hehe
Last edited by Marc on Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
ataxy
Master Emulator

Post by ataxy »

yeah me to the conssole is pitch black