I'm looking for C# Developers

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

chelios
Inquisitive Elf

I'm looking for C# Developers

Post by chelios »

I need some good C# developers to help me port PearPC. The reason being is that i believe PearPC may gain serious performance boosts in both the host and client area using C# and the .NET Framework. Also this may be a viable way to turn PearPC into a proper GUI version, instead of a quick workaround. I'm assuming you all know VMWare. Well i'd be going for the same kind of thing.

Anybody who thinks they can help in any way possible, please let me know here or e-mail at : rainbow-zwan@tiscali.co.uk.

Thanks,
Chelios
HDC
Student Driver

Post by HDC »

Performance boost from using .NET Framework? That's rich.
mrastudent
Student Driver

Post by mrastudent »

You'll be lucky to get the same speed. Managed C++ might be a better option. Just redo the GUI related stuff in WinForms and leave the backend stuff in unmanaged C++ like it is now.
chelios
Inquisitive Elf

Post by chelios »

Hmm, valid point indeed. I thought over redoing it in managed as it'd be alot easier than converting everything over to C#. The reason i say you may get a performance boost is because of the way the framework handles data types and threads and more, compared to old unmanaged code. I wrote a program in old unmanaged C++ that needed alot of system work for some parts, and even after serious debugging it still choked up RAM and CPU, so when i moved to .NET i ported it to managed C#/.NET and the performance boost was huge. I can't really say though for ppc as i've never delved too far into machine coding. I guesss you can only find out by trying!

Thanks for the points.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

You might want to drop the devs an email just to check if they've considered this already. Couldn't hurt. :?
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

I agree - going to higher level languages, especially the .NET framework is only going to slow things down.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
Tekmaven
Student Driver

Post by Tekmaven »

I'm a C# Coder... in fact, I've written PearPCFront, which is 1/2 of what you want ;-).
chelios
Inquisitive Elf

Post by chelios »

I asked you before Tek :P

And i was just looking over some of the VMware source stuffs, and i was just wondering...Wouldn't it be possible for the devs to use some of that stuff in the actual program? I mean, it's all open source...

It's got stuff like proper memory allocation, sparse disk creation, mac drivers for USB, Sound etc. (? for some reason)...i wonder if they've taken a look at that yet.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Yes but VMware is built entirely for x86 virtualization, NOT PowerPC emulation. Big difference, there.