Zone Alarm and PearPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Zone Alarm and PearPC

Post by Yukon Kid »

I have discovered that you can run ppc networking with zone alarm turned on.

I am running ppc OSX 3.4 with the 3com driver and tap-32 bridged and I am typing this with zone alarm active.

All that is needed for this to work is to launch ppc with zone alarm turned off, wait til osx is running and then turn zone alarm back on.

I am not sure if this will work for every configuration out there.

For everyone that has Zone Alarm give this method a try.
One thing to remember is that Zone Alarm must be set to let your osx ip to be allowed.

I think Zone Alarm looks for active connections when it starts so the tap-32 must be running for zone alarm to know it is there.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

hhhm, what is the purpose of letting Zone Alarm filter the TAP NIC in the first place? I would just set it to ignore it.

--kybernaut
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

Zone Alarm is there to act as a firewall for xp.
if you boot ppc with zone alarm active than osx does not connect to the network.

I do not like to leave xp open to the net so I restarted zone alarm and found that it does indeed work.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Just put a hole in zonealarm and put your NIC Card is trusted it will fix the problem
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

are you running Zone Alarm?
MDZ61384
Tinkerer

Post by MDZ61384 »

I'm running ZoneAlarm...networking has always worked for me through ZA except with this new build. I am also bridging connections, though I was using realtecs driver instead of the 3com drivers
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

well since I started trying to run networking I have never been successful until I followed this method, I just thought I would share it for those that are still struggling.
I have not had any luck doing it any other way.

and I have the "hole" set for my virtual nic from the start.
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

prasys wrote:Just put a hole in zonealarm and put your NIC Card is trusted it will fix the problem

How does one do that?
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Go to the advance tab..The Free version do not allow to do this...Anyway , just punch a hole on Port 80 , 112 ....It will be fine for web-surfing...I presonally recommend you getting a Proxy software because ZoneAlarm will not block it...:D
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

well the whole point was to run ppc without the need of a proxy, there is no advantage to using a proxy, just more configuring to the system.
I would rather keep the cpu from running programs for no reason, and let it spend the time running pearpc.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Well I used my Old PC as a serevr , so its easier..and i use my other computer to emulate it...
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

prasys wrote:Go to the advance tab..The Free version do not allow to do this...Anyway , just punch a hole on Port 80 , 112 ....It will be fine for web-surfing...I presonally recommend you getting a Proxy software because ZoneAlarm will not block it...:D

Nevermind then, I don't use ZA Pro.
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

now for the interesting bit.
since i followed these steps the other day I can now network from pearpc without having to turn off Zone Alarm.