SPTI CD Support 19th July

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

That is part of the Gen2 patching.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Yup , newer PearPC bulids are getting better n better
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

16 July 04 Updated
Cyman
Tinkerer

Post by Cyman »

The latest P4 SDL+CD version (16/07/) gives me an error. It tells me that SDL.dll has to be reinstalled.
Why does this happen? The SDL.dll is still there, with the July 15 build it works fine!
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

that is weird...what version sdl bulid aare u using
Cyman
Tinkerer

Post by Cyman »

SDL? I think 1.2.7., which should be the latest version.
brannoch
Tinkerer

Post by brannoch »

Legal ASPI layers! Adaptec has been nice enough to relax the usage restrictions of their ASPI layer drivers in the last few years.

Here is the page from which you can get the latest (Nov 2002): http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/suppor ... _471a2.exe

Here is the direct download link: http://download.adaptec.com/software_pc ... _471a2.exe

Here is a version that may work better for you non-XP users, and is required by 95: http://web2.iadfw.net/jlundy/zip/CompelWinAspi460.zip

Despite the weird site of CompelWinAspi460.zip it is not warez - the file is widely available legally and I just picked the first listing off of Google.

These both include an ASPI checker, though one that doesn't detect Nero ASPI. Nero ASPI can only legally be used if you have Nero installed, afaik.
brannoch
Tinkerer

Post by brannoch »

While we're on the subject, why not SPTI?

ASPI was Adaptec's attempt to create a standard interface to CD drives and burners - SPTI (SCSI Pass Through Interface) was Microsoft's attempt to do the same thing, but better. SPTI works on Windows 2000/XP only, but is faster and has better locking characteristics in the face of multiple running programs, and so is safer to use, particularly for burners.

A simple Googling turned up this site http://www.ste-home.de/cdrtools-spti/index-en.html that says that cdrtools has supported SPTI since 2.0a24. The (GPL) source for cdrtools is at ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/ or ftp://ftp.berlios.de/pub/cdrecord/alpha/. Windows binaries are at http://www.sbox.tugraz.at/home/t/tplank/ (German page, but the link descriptions are in English).

I've found VCDEasy (a commercial GUI around cdrtools and more) to work a lot better after they added SPTI support. Before then they just let you choose between Adaptec and Nero ASPI.
Last edited by brannoch on Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

brannoch wrote:Legal ASPI layers! Adaptec has been nice enough to relax the usage restrictions of their ASPI layer drivers in the last few years.
Cool, thanks...Yeah we can post links here I prefer

http://www.google.com

But as long as it isn't hosted I don't mind....That is why I haven't hosted the wnaspi32.dll file myself....
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Also I am requesting feeback for my website I put a link on the front page. I am thinking of doing the graphics differently...not sure thought...If anyone has any questions or comments PLEASE submit feedback I'll do my best to take it into consideration.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Re: CD Rom support 16 July 04

Post by Cybermagellan »

Cybermagellan wrote:Ok, well it is finally here....thanks to dajudge a ASPI patch has been implemented to allow you to use the CD drive natively on the host computer with Windows....These are the following stipulations (you knew there were).

1. New config lines have had to been added to allow PearPC to do this. Please read the config file...it needs your attention. (included)

2. The .exe from my site is already patched don't worry about that HOWEVER you do need to download the wnaspi32.dll (google it) and copy that into your %windir%\system32 folder....yes overwrite it.

3. Default in the config file states the drive is "1/0/0"...don't worry you'll see this. If PearPC doesn't pick this up you may have to detect what type of adapter you have. You may need to use another program to detect this....don't worry it's on my site too!

Any questions....feel free to E-mail me...

By the way my site: http://pearpcexe.sytes.net
brannoch
Tinkerer

Post by brannoch »

If you didn't know to specifically Google for "Compel WinASPI" you might get the original Adaptec version. The Compel distribution of Adaptec ASPI has a better installer, one that leaves your system in a somewhat more stable state. Also, older Adaptec distributions of 4.60 checked for Adaptec hardware or EasyCD Creator, before they loosened up that restriction. Adaptec no longer hosts a version 4.60 on their site except specifically for Windows 95 - 4.60 for other Windows versions is abandonware, only available through third-party sites.
But as long as it isn't hosted I don't mind....That is why I haven't hosted the wnaspi32.dll file myself....
I don't quite understand what you mean - isn't everything on the web hosted somewhere?
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

yeah well if you read the previous post anyone who was hosting the wnaspi32.dll file had their posted edited because of Adaptec'g guidelines....I didn't read too much about the .dll you posted however if it isn't specifically limited then I don't have a problem with you making the link.
asapreta
Tinkerer

Post by asapreta »

Same problems of some others from here.

I'm using the last CVS (16/07/04) and got this:

Code: Select all

2 GenuineIntel
 CMOV MMX SSE SSE2
[IO/IDE] <Error> key 'pci_ide0_slave_type' must be set to 'hd' or 'cdrom'
and my config file is this:

Code: Select all

## PearPC Configuration File

ppc_start_resolution = "800x600x15"

redraw_interval_msec = 100

key_compose_dialog = "F11"
key_change_cd_0 = "none"
key_toggle_mouse_grab = "F12"
key_toggle_full_screen = "Alt+Return"

prom_bootmethod = "select"

prom_env_machargs = "-v"

prom_driver_graphic = "video.x"

memory_size=0x10000000

pci_ide0_master_installed = 1
pci_ide0_master_image = "g:\_ppc\panther.img"
#pci_ide0_master_type = "hd"

pci_ide0_slave_installed = 1
pci_ide0_slave_type = "aspi"
pci_ide0_slave_image = "0,1,0"

pci_rtl8139_installed = 1
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"

pci_usb_installed = 1

nvram_file = "nvram"
Any help?!
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

What build...standard/P4/SDL....with CD or without?
asapreta
Tinkerer

Post by asapreta »

Cybermagellan wrote:What build...standard/P4/SDL....with CD or without?
The Last Nightly (16/07) P4, with no cd in drive.
I´ve tested now with a Cd in drive and no changes.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Ok, then please wait till tonight
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

17 July has been updated. Also

I will NOT be compiling for non CD builds unless it is requested of me OR they prove to break the build.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Well ,17th Bulid reads DVDs Well , Its Great..On ealier builds , it causes PearPC to hang
Minsky
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Minsky »

Just in case - 16th bld reads DVDs as well as 17th :-)

My emy hang only once - when I tried to close opened cd-Rom tray from OS X (by pressing F12).
Cyman
Tinkerer

Post by Cyman »

Now the latest build works fine (17/07/SDL/P4/CD) but when changing to fullscreen (Alt+Enter) it crashes. Anyone got the same problem?
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

A new CD patch has been submitted which I will include in the builds tonight. The new feautre allows you to specify the drive letter in NT based systems. The configuration creator shows this as of right now however the patch will not be implemented till tonight. Please keep this in mind when posting.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Unfortunately there is a bad storm in my area. I will not be posting builds tonight I do apologize.
asapreta
Tinkerer

Post by asapreta »

Networking is not working in 17/07 builds for SDL+CD+P4. 3com and Realtek tested.
willvg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by willvg »

Hey my computer does have a dvd burner, but I am not finding the wnaspi32.dll on my computer. When I download it off the net and place it in my system32 folder will it mess up anything, like my dvd burning? And also I have been looking on google to find the .dll file and I keep comming across pages that you have to buy the .dll file. I need a link or something with the file.