linux distro

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

varsis
Space Cadet

Length

Post by varsis »

How long do you guys expect for this to be done? I would really like being able to run mac on pc without having to run windows!
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Re: Length

Post by PPC_Digger »

varsis wrote:How long do you guys expect for this to be done? I would really like being able to run mac on pc without having to run windows!
Well, I guess we'll have to:
1) Revive this thread (it's been dead for 2 monthes or so)
2) Start to build a bootable CD with a customized linux on it.
3) Begin beta testing.
Then you can try it.
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

I've been trying to develop my own full-blown distro...but my lack of hardware is hindering me at the moment

I don't have the patience to compile an os on a 650mhz Celeron...it's about 3 days just to compile everything once...thing is theres a lot of trial and error...so who knows how many times i'll have to recompile...we could be talking weeks of compiling before i get something remotely usable

But your in luck i just ordered a new computer...hopefully it will accelerate my development (it better!)

I'll have a webpage set up for it soon explaining my goals and showing my current progress

I'll try my best to help produce a pearpc distro...which once i've got the base of my distro done it won't be too hard
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

So you're learning how to create a distro.
I am learning it as well... making an LFS system for my pentium-75 (don't worry I am compiling on a 1.3GHz machine).
Once we both learn how to make a linux system, we can easily make one for PearPC).
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

PPC_Digger wrote:So you're learning how to create a distro.
I am learning it as well... making an LFS system for my pentium-75 (don't worry I am compiling on a 1.3GHz machine).
Once we both learn how to make a linux system, we can easily make one for PearPC).
I've compiled my own distro multiple times....i'm more in the process of optimizing it, customizing it, and adding the features people want

Right now i'm just copying off another distro...i'm working on getting some originality

I need to brush up on my C programming :D
lord_muad_dib
Student Driver

Post by lord_muad_dib »

just do a minimal stage 3 gentoo installation

and use only packets you need

fast and clear
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

The folks at pearpc.net seem to have gotten quite far on this one... http://forums.pearpc.net/viewtopic.php?t=442. Pretty dead at the moment, though.
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

Me = COMPILE! :wink: If you make some code for this I will be glad to compile w/ some instructions (I can make Pear) and I have a 3.0 GHZ waiting to be used.

>Neospy 8)