Sound

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mwevi
Student Driver

Sound

Post by mwevi »

Has anyone Managed to use sound in pearpc if you have how did you do it.
kybernaut
Apple Corer

Post by kybernaut »

Sound is not implemented yet... For progress see http://www.kelley.ca/pearpc/wiki/index.php/SoundDriver

--kybernaut
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

they are working on...new things will keep on improving
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

May be, on the time being, we can use some sort of a virtual mac os x audio driver that will broadcast the mac audio to the host machine via http radio or something like that...
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

PPC_Digger wrote:May be, on the time being, we can use some sort of a virtual mac os x audio driver that will broadcast the mac audio to the host machine via http radio or something like that...
You have to be able to process the sound before you can broadcast it, so it's probably best to just keep an eye on how the existing development of sound implementation is going.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

I for one would really love to see fast, quality sound implementation. Where it's good enough that you can use iTunes in its native environment. I use iTunes for Windows and I love it, but it just seems sluggish sometimes. Whereas on the Mac, it's lightning fast.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

what about implementing the airtunes(airport express' network sound support), and then we can transmit to it using itunes.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

LOL @ PPC_Digger...It will be hard to do that , because the networking emulation is not that good and there is no USB/Sound Support
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

prasys wrote:LOL @ PPC_Digger...It will be hard to do that , because the networking emulation is not that good and there is no USB/Sound Support
that's what i am saying - implementing airtunes as a temoprary replacement. (or even using some existing virtual sound card driver for osx and broadcasting it)
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

You don't understand, in order for there to be any sound output from OS X whatsoever, there has to be something telling the system that it has a sound card. A driver alone is only half the equation.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

It's a bit like trying to listen to a radio broadcast without a radio - it's all very well setting up a radio station, but unless someone has a radio there's no way they can tell that the radio station even exists.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

no, you don't understand what i am saying...
do you know the microsoft loopback network adapter in windows nt/2k?
i say take something like that but for sound and redirect its output to the host pc through the network.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

I don't think that would be a good idea. Would the time it would take to implement that not be better spent getting real sound emulation?
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

I understand what you are saying, but whatever method is used, you still need an interface between OSX and PPC. It's not going to magically appear because of the existence of any particular piece of technology - it still has to be coded!
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

robojam wrote:I understand what you are saying, but whatever method is used, you still need an interface between OSX and PPC. It's not going to magically appear because of the existence of any particular piece of technology - it still has to be coded!
no it doesn't!!! you still don't understand.
do you know the microsoft windows media encoder on windows? it draws sound directly from the system's sound output, so i say use a virtual sound driver (which runs on MAC OS X without any connection to pearpc), redirect its output with an app like the ms windows media encoder, and boradcast it through the network to a media client on the windows/linux side.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Yes but there IS NO SOUND OUTPUT because there is no sound CARD. I fail to see why you are pressing this point. :roll:
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Me too. I don't think you understand the role of the operating system here.

No piece of software simply "draws sound directly from the system's sound output", it needs the operating system to do some of the work. As OSX doesn't have direct access to the hardware, it needs an interface with the host OS. If the interface doesn't implement a sound component, then you cannot get sound out!

As far as the comment about redirecting the output to the network connection is concerned, I don't think that is very practical. Firstly the network implementation isn't very good, and secondly as there is no idle process implemented, it is going to be very difficult to get any sort of quality of sound out of the host system when PPC is running.

If you are serious about this and you have enough technical knowledge to give the developers something to work with, then get it to them. Otherwise, I agree with Captain Valor - why are you pressing this point?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

because you don't understand what i am saying!!!
here is the thing:
the microsoft loopback adapter is emulating a nic, but still, you could use it to communicate with microsoft's virtual pc.
i'd say take something like that but for sound, and then OSX will generate sound, and we will draw that sound through a streaming server to the host pc.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

If you really know what you're talking about, please attempt to implement this yourself. At the moment, I have no idea how it would work without something being added to PPC.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Well rather than just keep saying it, put together a proposal for the developers and send it to them. Run your reasoning by them and get some feedback.

Let us know what they say - I'd love to hear...
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

CaptainValor wrote:If you really know what you're talking about, please attempt to implement this yourself. At the moment, I have no idea how it would work without something being added to PPC.
nothing has to be added too ppc, instead i will have to find an open-source loopback audio driver for OSX, and a streaming server, again for OSX.
i will start searching.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

There are many free streaming servers for Darwin easily available.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

but i need also a virtual sound driver.
lord_muad_dib
Student Driver

Post by lord_muad_dib »

i understood what he saying...

all you need is a sound server... like esound for linux ....
the process is:
1) the app send a sound request to the cpu
2) all is managed by the cpu
3) the sound output is sent thru tcpip to the sound client instead the local one

all is quite simple but atm will not work due the slowlyness of network.. and the cpu emulation is slow too
causing a crash or a huge lag

anyway you can try to compile the esound sources on macos x and then find an esd client for windows... or linux :)
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

lord_muad_dib wrote:i understood what he saying...

all you need is a sound server... like esound for linux ....
the process is:
1) the app send a sound request to the cpu
2) all is managed by the cpu
3) the sound output is sent thru tcpip to the sound client instead the local one

all is quite simple but atm will not work due the slowlyness of network.. and the cpu emulation is slow too
causing a crash or a huge lag

anyway you can try to compile the esound sources on macos x and then find an esd client for windows... or linux :)
finnally... :D