Sound

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

oKAY , I tried it was lagging , guess what I got a Virual Soundcard driver in my PowerMac..I can just boost around

Simple thing,

Open WMP or any MP3 player and just play

Open iTunes in Mac and just play a file...

someone will be thinking you can play audio in your vitual mac...haaa
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

LOL! Yes that would make a good demonstration. :lol:
phazey
Student Driver

Post by phazey »

Just tried a build sent to the dev list a few hours ago - that has sound enabled via PortAudio.

\o/ Pearpc is making noises now!

Alough very lagged and broken, the sound is clearly audible, this may be because i am testing using my work laptop and not my faster home machine - for a first attempt this is awsome.

Good work devs - on the right track.

Cheers

./P
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Is PortAudio one of the streaming solutions?
sHARD>>
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sHARD>> »

Collaborate with security:
Use WASTE
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

And what exactly is that? ;)
sHARD>>
Inquisitive Elf

Post by sHARD>> »

CaptainValor wrote:And what exactly is that? ;)
I think the filename says it all. It works too...not very well....but it does.
Collaborate with security:
Use WASTE
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

A PPC build with sound? Could you elaborate please?
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Let me tell you
Its a build which has Sound Support on it (cool eh ?)..Of course the the mouse freezes and some other drawbacks

Try it for yourself

Here is a Picture of PearPC with Sound
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/ ... ound-1.jpg
MacOSX
Tinkerer

Cool

Post by MacOSX »

Cool! That's better than no sound at least! :lol:
inversation
Student Driver

Post by inversation »

any chance of getting a win32 build of that? :P
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Its a Win32 build...:D
inversation
Student Driver

Post by inversation »

Really? thats odd. First off, .tar.gz is ordinarily a linux extension (although I know programs such as WinRAR handle it), and when I download all 11 megs of it, it contains source code and the like. I dont see a ppc.exe in there. Am I grabbing the right file? Am I supposed to look in a subfolder within it somewhere or something? I was kinda just expecting a ppc.exe file, or a collection of required files or something of the like....
inversation
Student Driver

Post by inversation »

hurk huff duhh Found the release on your site, prasys. pearpc.net had put the link back up. Ordinarily its listed in my favourites folder, but guess who forgot to back that up when he did a system reinstall last week :oops:

Cheers! :D
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Hey. I got the build which included sound on prasys's site (nice!), but when will the sound sound like anything? Right now it kinda sounds like the audio track is choking. The sound is indistinguishable. Sound emulation would be great and all, but with the problems it creates and the horrible sound quality, it's really not worth it. Even when I use VirtualPC on my real Mac, sound is choppy, and slows the system down. Hardly worth it on that. There are other features that would be more useful and more likely to work in PearPC. Specifically many of the features that VirtualPC has, like an installation.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Okay , I understand...
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

No offence meant, but I wonder if this is worth pursuing? It really is poor quality.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

deos it really matter?
it is something that was asked for and now it is here.
I think everyone still forgets that this is still very early in development.

and if the sound emu is not up to your personal standard then don't use it.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Yukon Kid wrote:deos it really matter?
it is something that was asked for and now it is here.
I think everyone still forgets that this is still very early in development.

and if the sound emu is not up to your personal standard then don't use it.
Yes, it does matter. It isn't usable in any practical way, and although it's an achievement, I think the implication from most posts is that it isn't going anywhere.

If it's not up to my personal standard? Whose standard would it be up to? Nice achievement, but what use would you put it to?
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

my point is that in time the emu should smooth out, and if it is not usable to your satisfaction then continue using perapc without the sound.

it is nice to know that improvments are happening but not usefull to complain because it doesn't run like the real thing.

noting bugs or problems with using new builds helps to get corrections made, the wish list helps get improvments.

I don't use my computer sound much, probably about 1% of the time so I am not affected by the sound issue, although I would like to see it work well.

someone is working hard at trying to give us the things we want, and if I was doing some of the building I would not settle until it was as good as could be, but if you go back and read from the beginning you will notice that there was a big push to find a way to get sound, as a result it was provided.

all I can say is KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK and THANKS.
it is getting better every day.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

I'm sure that sound support will be in PPC soon as the level of commitment that everyone who has contributed to development has show keeps this project moving forwards.

I stand to be corrected, but I think this method of achieving sound output was attempted to prove that it could be done, not as a method of providing reliable sound support.

Of course anyone involved is going to be pleased at the result, but it is not something that can in any way be considered as a practical method of producing sound output.

Future development will probably find a far more practical method, and I don't think this is the one that will yield the final method.
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Agreed. We should all celebrate the "sound" that PearPC can now make, and move on to more important things, until somone just happens to think "I wonder if this would work", and lo and behold we shall have good if not choppy sound. Anyone who's tried VirtualPC has to admit that even then, sound emulation is pretty choppy.
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

Also agreed.
Cool the have sound emulated for OS X on PPC,
but as long as it'll be choppy, what good will it be?

Let's focus on speed for now.
There's a lot left to desire on that department.

;)
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

robojam wrote:No offence meant, but I wonder if this is worth pursuing? It really is poor quality.
PowerPC emulation was always a slow thing on x86, and if people like Sebastian would say that, then we probably wouldn't be talking now.
willhart wrote:Agreed. We should all celebrate the "sound" that PearPC can now make, and move on to more important things, until somone just happens to think "I wonder if this would work", and lo and behold we shall have good if not choppy sound. Anyone who's tried VirtualPC has to admit that even then, sound emulation is pretty choppy.
I used to work with the old Connectix virtual PC 5.0, and just a few days ago upgraded to microsoft VPC 2004, and the sound works much better (it's not choppy!).
liquex
Student Driver

Post by liquex »

i believe it's a great thing to persue.

i like to think of pearpc as a way of transforming my extra 2 GHz/512 MB ram dell system that i never use into a pseudo-mac... by using a small custom linux distro.

i believe that with sound, a pearPC linux OS would be much more worthwhile. yes... i know it's an EMULATED OS, and nothing is real. but hey, why not?

I envision an OS, where upon boot, displays the pearPC logo quick (push esc, or delete key to configure the pearPC)... and then loads Mac OS... as if it were on the system. (and nobody better change the topic on this thread.. i'd hate being responsible for that)

i say the current sound build is a damn good attempt. it really isn't anything a little more development couldn't solve.