Damn you PearPC, damn you!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Kakaze
Tinkerer

Damn you PearPC, damn you!

Post by Kakaze »

You made me go out and buy a Mac.

I just did it...

2857.40 for a 17inch PB with 128 megs of video RAM, a 5400 RPM drive and an air/car adaptor.

Thank god for the educational discount.

2800 dollars...

:shake:

I think this is what withdraw feels like.

x-posted to pearpc.net because I'm an attention whore
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Re: Damn you PearPC, damn you!

Post by PPC_Digger »

Kakaze wrote:You made me go out and buy a Mac.

I just did it...

2857.40 for a 17inch PB with 128 megs of video RAM, a 5400 RPM drive and an air/car adaptor.

Thank god for the educational discount.

2800 dollars...

I think this is what withdraw feels like.

x-posted to pearpc.net because I'm an attention whore
i wish i could do the same.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Man...that's a lot to burn on a computer... 8O

I would buy an iBook if I could. :?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

CaptainValor wrote:Man...that's a lot to burn on a computer... 8O

me too.
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

CaptainValor wrote:Man...that's a lot to burn on a computer... 8O

Well, the PC laptops I was looking at were around the same price. The Dell Inspiron 8600 configured the way I wanted it was the same price as the Powerbook before the educational discount...though with Dell I could've gotten a 20 percent off coupon bringing it to around 2500.

I was going to spend around the same amount anyway.

prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Ha,, there is antoher post..

PearPC made me to get an Ibook + .mac account

Curse you PearPC...
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I wouldn't put all my apples in one basket.

With Virtual PC, you should get pretty nice performance running Windows or x86 Linux on it if you wanted to. A 17" laptop display has got to be awsome.

Guard that PowerBook with your life.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Mac Emu wrote:I wouldn't put all my apples in one basket.

With Virtual PC, you should get pretty nice performance running Windows or x86 Linux on it if you wanted to. A 17" laptop display has got to be awsome.

Guard that PowerBook with your life.
when virtual pc 7 comes out, i'll buy a mac (then there will be no reason not to)
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

I managed to install Windows 95 on Virtual PC 6...You know what ...It runs like Intel/AMD Althon/Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz or even more....Guess what ?..Its just emulating a Pentium 2 233Mhz with 32 MB and it still fast..:D
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

on what mac host? (i managed to install windows xp in vpc 5 for windows, and it ran like a p3 1ghz on a athlon-4 1.3ghz host)
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

on a Mac of course..Of course , you can run really fast on a x86 host because it does not need that much of emulation and processor changing stuff...But , hey its still fun
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

i didn't ask if it was a mac or not, i asked what kind of a mac is the host (i understood it was a mac).
BTW does the emulation work fine? (e.g. no sound problems or networking packet-drops? i know the graphics adapter is slow - it's emulated)
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Na , it su*** , I am gonna try DarWine...see if i can run some WINE compatible programs
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

from what i know, darwine still can't run x86 windows programs, because it doesn't have a x86 cpu emulator yet. i guess it can run windows/ppc programs.
brannoch
Tinkerer

Post by brannoch »

I thought DarWine was intended to use QEMU to do the emulation work in QEMU's user emulation mode. Not there yet? I don't have a Mac to test...
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

brannoch wrote:I thought DarWine was intended to use QEMU to do the emulation work in QEMU's user emulation mode. Not there yet? I don't have a Mac to test...
that's what pearpc is for :lol:
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

I just got a 5500/250 and up-d it to 9.1 and 64mb ram. Pear, THANKS A LOT!!!!

>neospy 8)
rudefyet
Granny Smith

Post by rudefyet »

I've had a 6320 for the longest time...

but 120mhz and only Mac OS 9.1 gets boring
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

rudefyet wrote:I've had a 6320 for the longest time...

but 120mhz and only Mac OS 9.1 gets boring
9.1's cool, but apple and java arent going to make j2se for 9 (ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH No runescape)

>neospy 8)
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

I wish i had a powermac 6320 (i once found the upper-part of a mac iisi - i wish i will find the rest :lol:)
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

I wasn't able to post this a week ago, because I went through a hurricane and everything and only just got power last night, but...

I'm writing this on my new Powerbook!

17 inches isn't too bad. A lot of people told me it would be too big, but it's not, really. I think it's a pretty good size. I just wish they'd taken advantage of the extra couple inches over the 15 and put in a real numeric keypad.

Anyway, this is one very nice machine. So sleek and sexay...

I love it.

:hugs powerbook:

And being that it's my first laptop, it is so fucking nice to be able to sit in bed and surf the net, or sit in the living room and surf the net, or sit in the bathroom and surf the net!

It was a lot of money, but I think overall it was worth it.
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

When this PearPC first came out there was a big controversy whether this would help Apple, or hurt them. Near the beggining of 2004, I got an iBook, and not only did I like the iBook, I loved Mac OS X. If Mac OS X can gain a big enough user-base, it might become a primary operating system for the masses. It's a long ways away, but I think that PearPC is stepping towards that goal by showing people who wouldn't normally run Mac OS X that it's truely a great operating system.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

willhart wrote:When this PearPC first came out there was a big controversy whether this would help Apple, or hurt them. Near the beggining of 2004, I got an iBook, and not only did I like the iBook, I loved Mac OS X. If Mac OS X can gain a big enough user-base, it might become a primary operating system for the masses. It's a long ways away, but I think that PearPC is stepping towards that goal by showing people who wouldn't normally run Mac OS X that it's truely a great operating system.
Yes, I have used macs in the past (os 7), and pearpc gave me the oppretunity to try OSX for the first time, and now i think i'll buy a mac.
I think apple should help to develop PearPC and give it like somekind of testing version of mac os x for x86 users, so they can evaluate osx and like it and then buy a mac.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

I doubt Apple would do such a thing in the same way that Microsoft has done with VirtualPC. What Apple needs to do is port OS X to the x86 and allow people to literally choose whether they want to run Windows or OS X on the same hardware. Heck, if they did that I would totally run OS X exclusively, or in a dual-boot with XP where I rarely used XP.
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

MS and VPC... that is not the origon of pc emulation on the mac. MS bought it from another company who bought it from another company.

since MS bought it the updates have been lagging.

microsoft did nothing to encourage pc operation on the mac.
the only thing they did was hop on the bandwagon, and that includes the office apps. there have been translators to input/output the data to mac apps without the need for MS, for years. I like appleworks and I use it for most everything, including reading the word docs I use at work.

if you want to debate this then I suggest that you start a new thread.

As far as osx coming to the pc, that is a very real concept, after all mac has gone to the unix world and nt from ms is also a unix type os, and nt is the engine for 2000 and XP.

the trick would be to have the source code compiled on all the different cpu types. but then that also makes it very hard to keep everything the same from version to version.