Damn you PearPC, damn you!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Yukon Kid wrote:since MS bought it the updates have been lagging.
They are currently working on version 7 that will be far better than 6 (direct video card usage)
Yukon Kid wrote:As far as osx coming to the pc, that is a very real concept, after all mac has gone to the unix world and nt from ms is also a unix type os, and nt is the engine for 2000 and XP.
nt is NOT unix.
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

No but some of the concepts that inspired it were founded in Unix. However you are right, NT is not in any way, shape, or form Unix by any stretch.
brannoch
Tinkerer

Post by brannoch »

No, the concepts that inspired NT came from VMS, not Unix. The system structure is quite different from Unix. All of the Unix-like stuff was tacked on later. For that matter, so was the Windows-like stuff - it wasn't until NT 4 that the GUI subsystem was integrated into the kernel, to the extent that such a concept has meaning in NT.
brannoch
Tinkerer

Post by brannoch »

Yukon Kid wrote:MS and VPC... that is not the origon of pc emulation on the mac. MS bought it from another company who bought it from another company.

since MS bought it the updates have been lagging.
Given the circumstances I think we can forgive them for that. The circumstances on the Mac being in part the G5. VPC was previously optimized using the optional little-endian addressing mode of the Motorola PPC chips. The IBM G5 doesn't have that mode, and VPC without it was bog slow. You would have to add something like direct video card access just to catch up with the performance of VPC on the G4. Figuring out how to do that would take time, hence the delays.

With any luck they will be able to carry this video knowledge over to the Windows version of VPC and really give it a boost too.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Version 7 is still under BETA (VPN)

NT is not a UNIX System because it UNIX System are stable and not buggy...NT is a Microsoft's own UNIX Clone operting core aka Kernel which they call it "stable and secure"
ali
Student Driver

Post by ali »

brannoch wrote: Given the circumstances I think we can forgive them for that. The circumstances on the Mac being in part the G5. VPC was previously optimized using the optional little-endian addressing mode of the Motorola PPC chips. The IBM G5 doesn't have that mode, and VPC without it was bog slow. You would have to add something like direct video card access just to catch up with the performance of VPC on the G4. Figuring out how to do that would take time, hence the delays.
also they were waiting for sp2 final release for implementing it on their "Virtual PC 7 with Windows XP Product" :wink:
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

brannoch wrote:
Yukon Kid wrote:MS and VPC... that is not the origon of pc emulation on the mac. MS bought it from another company who bought it from another company.

since MS bought it the updates have been lagging.
Given the circumstances I think we can forgive them for that. The circumstances on the Mac being in part the G5. VPC was previously optimized using the optional little-endian addressing mode of the Motorola PPC chips. The IBM G5 doesn't have that mode, and VPC without it was bog slow. You would have to add something like direct video card access just to catch up with the performance of VPC on the G4. Figuring out how to do that would take time, hence the delays.

With any luck they will be able to carry this video knowledge over to the Windows version of VPC and really give it a boost too.
I don't think the lack of this addressing mode is a big thing, since they only need to flip the bits, and this is 1-2 cycles. The lack of this mode only prevents it from running, and the 6.1.2 (I think) update takes care of that.