DMG2ISO Converter Frontend

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

robojam wrote:This is probably a good starting point:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... erence.asp
I meant VB compatible API functions.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

PPC_Digger wrote:

All API functions are VB compatible.

That is the point of them - they are API calls, and that is the way that any programming language manipulates Windows - it is the compiler or a wrapper like ActiveX that makes the call, but if you make the call directly, you will use far less resources and remove buggy interfaces.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

robojam wrote:
PPC_Digger wrote:

All API functions are VB compatible.

That is the point of them - they are API calls, and that is the way that any programming language manipulates Windows - it is the compiler or a wrapper like ActiveX that makes the call, but if you make the call directly, you will use far less resources and remove buggy interfaces.
Oh, it's just that since they mention the c header files so much i thought these were c-only functions. i will take another look.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

The format of all Windows API calls is C++, as it was once assumed that C/C++ was the only language that Windows programs were to be written in.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

robojam wrote:The format of all Windows API calls is C++, as it was once assumed that C/C++ was the only language that Windows programs were to be written in.
I am in windows programming for only 5-8 years so I didn't know that.
Well, since this assumption there were added at least 2 "official" windows programming languages (vb, c#).
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

PPC_Digger wrote:
robojam wrote:The format of all Windows API calls is C++, as it was once assumed that C/C++ was the only language that Windows programs were to be written in.
Well, since this assumption there were added at least 2 "official" windows programming languages (vb, c#).
I'm almost loathe to start an explanation as there always seems to be the potential for an argument in anything that anyone tells you, but...

Firstly, I'm not sure I understand how you can been developing for Windows for 5 to 8 years? Is it 5 or is it 8? Not that it matters, but I have no idea what that means.

Secondly, if you have been developing for that long, I can only assume that it is non-commercial development, as API calls are generally something that people learn in the first year, especially if they are VB developers. If you become employed in the commercial sector, you will probably learn it very quickly.

Other languages have been created since this assumption was made, but they are not very low level languages, and more built for rapid development and are not often used other than for bespoke applications. The format of API calls is not going to change because a new development language is created!
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

robojam wrote:
PPC_Digger wrote:
I'm almost loathe to start an explanation as there always seems to be the potential for an argument in anything that anyone tells you, but...

Firstly, I'm not sure I understand how you can been developing for Windows for 5 to 8 years? Is it 5 or is it 8? Not that it matters, but I have no idea what that means.

Secondly, if you have been developing for that long, I can only assume that it is non-commercial development, as API calls are generally something that people learn in the first year, especially if they are VB developers. If you become employed in the commercial sector, you will probably learn it very quickly.

Other languages have been created since this assumption was made, but they are not very low level languages, and more built for rapid development and are not often used other than for bespoke applications. The format of API calls is not going to change because a new development language is created!
I meant i tryied a little 8 years ago, but i only started seriusly 5 years ago.

BTW ok ok i will stop arguing about everything.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

LOL....that would kinda be like myself saying that I have been programming since I was 8 because I was learning qBASIC and such back then :D But yeah when I went into networking in the Army everyone else that stayed in school went to college. Being the fact that I am now 24 and can setup a full backbone with branches in 5 different countries I had to rack my brain to be able to figure out how to make a OpenFileDialog box transfer the info over to a TextBox. When all I had to do was change

Code: Select all

If OpenFileDialog.Filename<>""then _
 TextBox1.Text=OpenFileDialog.Filename
I think that is what I put....however I have the code at home...I'm at work so I really couldn't tell you.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Cybermagellan wrote:LOL....that would kinda be like myself saying that I have been programming since I was 8 because I was learning qBASIC and such back then :D But yeah when I went into networking in the Army everyone else that stayed in school went to college. Being the fact that I am now 24 and can setup a full backbone with branches in 5 different countries I had to rack my brain to be able to figure out how to make a OpenFileDialog box transfer the info over to a TextBox. When all I had to do was change

Code: Select all

If OpenFileDialog.Filename<>""then _
 TextBox1.Text=OpenFileDialog.Filename
I think that is what I put....however I have the code at home...I'm at work so I really couldn't tell you.
When i'm at work i usually leave the home computer up with VNC or something so if i need something...
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Yeah I am on a restricted machine so that doesn't help me.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Cybermagellan wrote:Yeah I am on a restricted machine so that doesn't help me.
What do you mean a restricted machine? (some outgoing ports are restricted? same for me : i used 80 as the vnc port)
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

No, restricted meaning at work I am not permitted to install anything outside of what they have imaged. It's called corporate life....
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Cybermagellan wrote:No, restricted meaning at work I am not permitted to install anything outside of what they have imaged. It's called corporate life....
Tell me about it! I am trying to get a web server hosted with an application server to run ActivePDF so that users can output pdf files from web applications, and it has taken two weeks so far of the request being put through the various channels to tell me whether this is OK or not!
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Cybermagellan wrote:No, restricted meaning at work I am not permitted to install anything outside of what they have imaged. It's called corporate life....
So use the built-in HTTP server included with VNC - so you only need a browser and java.
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Robojam, don't worry whenever you do get it looked at by the right people the form will be filled out wrong :cry:

PPC_Digger: I didn't wanna come out and say this but I work in a call center all day. I don't have any creativity so I really don't have a need to do all that....however using the computer with VNC is an interesting Idea...
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Ironically it is the group that deals with security that are the best ones at losing forms...
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Reminds me of the days when I was in the military *sigh*
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Cybermagellan wrote:Reminds me of the days when I was in the military *sigh*
Congratulations on that post giving you "Needs a Girlfriend" status...err, I mean some unknown Canadian hockey player...
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

*mutters something to Clockwise* :roll:
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

not unknown to me....
Cybermagellan
Forum All-Star

Post by Cybermagellan »

Aren't all Canadian Hockey Players unknown? Does canada even have a hockey team? Canada....oh you mean north New York?
Autumnmist
Inquisitive Elf

Post by Autumnmist »

PPC_Digger wrote:
So use the built-in HTTP server included with VNC - so you only need a browser and java.
Yes or if your home computer is WinXP, you can enable Remote Desktop and then your work computer (2k or XP) can connect to it using the client side of Remote Desktop.
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

hmmm Cyber.... evryone in Canuckland is a hockey player at some time in their life.

north new york???? we have the real York of the new world..heheheh
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

As well as playing hockey, they also speak French with a very strange accent in Canada.

When I first went to Montreal I could understand everything that anyone said, but when it came to listening to me, they couldn't understand my accent at all (French taught as it is spoken in France)!
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

robojam wrote:As well as playing hockey, they also speak French with a very strange accent in Canada.

When I first went to Montreal I could understand everything that anyone said, but when it came to listening to me, they couldn't understand my accent at all (French taught as it is spoken in France)!
I don't know even one word in french (ok, one word - wee).
Why didn't speak english to them?