AVOID 8/20/04 build. It fails to recognize bootable HD image

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

eaglebtc
Inquisitive Elf

Post by eaglebtc »

The hard drive image was suddenly "unbootable" with tonight's CVS builds. Stay away from them. If you go back to the stable build (0.3 official), your virtual hard drives will boot OK.
rccola70
Tinkerer

huh

Post by rccola70 »

I used RemoteCVS last night and the build it spit out worked fine.
dilacerated
Tinkerer

Post by dilacerated »

i just ran through RemoteCVS for the third build since last night and it does not see the .img files i have tried (blank img or a copy out of the working 0.3 final) as being a valid bootable partition.. Richard Goodwin's does the same as well.

edit: got an Altivec build from RemoteCVS to work just a moment ago.
willhart
Apple Corer

Boot Problems With PearPC 3 or later

Post by willhart »

PearPC version 3 or any nightly builds that are not pre3 do not seem to boot my hard drives. I think this is probably because I installed Panther w/o installing Darwin first.
I have tried running Panther on PPC3 on my P4 windows xp, but I end up with no bootable drives/partitions.
Another thing that bothers me is that PPC3 builds don't have support for "nativecdrom" or "aspicd".
dilacerated
Tinkerer

Re: Boot Problems With PearPC 3 or later

Post by dilacerated »

willhart wrote:PearPC version 3 or any nightly builds that are not pre3 do not seem to boot my hard drives. I think this is probably because I installed Panther w/o installing Darwin first.
I have tried running Panther on PPC3 on my P4 windows xp, but I end up with no bootable drives/partitions.
Another thing that bothers me is that PPC3 builds don't have support for "nativecdrom" or "aspicd".
interesting. first time i've encountered this issue were from the RemoteCVS 0.4pre builds out from the 21st on this month. if i read this post correctly the final build of 0.3 did the same for you? was the hard drive image one you downloaded or one you built personally? i've had no luck with either the downloaded 6GB img file from PearPC and a 10GB self-made img. builds made on the 20th work just fine. i am thinking i need to go and download Cyywin and work on some self-made builds. course this could all be hashed out by tonight and i can focus on other things ;).
rccola70
Tinkerer

Post by rccola70 »

Looks like tonight's build doesn't recognize the hd either. (the 22nd)

I tried tekmaven's P3 G4 SDL and Remote CVS P3 G4.
willhart
Apple Corer

More Specific

Post by willhart »

I tried a few 0.3 builds with my 3gb Mac OS X hard drive that I originally got from the pearpc.sourcefourge.net downloads page. The hard drive seemed to work extremely well on the P4 optimized 0.3pre builds. I tried starting from scratch with a 6gb Mac OS X preformatted drive, with little success. Either Windows says it has to close, or I get to the gray-ish apple boot screen, but instead of an apple there's just a box. I [not being very experienced with this] am totally dumbfounded about how to run Darwin on PearPC. I have a GNU-Darwin CD that Windows boots from (but then I quickly take out because it said it might destroy my hard drive).

Basically what I'm saying is this: Someone needs to make a new step-by-step installation that has been fully tested with PearPC 0.3 builds.
dilacerated
Tinkerer

Post by dilacerated »

direct path to the image doesn't do anything to resolve the issue as i have seen work for others. not sure what to do other than to try turning the drive into an .iso rather than an .img.
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

dilacerated wrote:direct path to the image doesn't do anything to resolve the issue as i have seen work for others. not sure what to do other than to try turning the drive into an .iso rather than an .img.
Try changing the boot partition back to 3 (rather than 2). I found that I was able to get the newer builds to work by doing this ...
the21st
Space Cadet

Post by the21st »

trexplorer wrote:
dilacerated wrote:direct path to the image doesn't do anything to resolve the issue as i have seen work for others. not sure what to do other than to try turning the drive into an .iso rather than an .img.
Try changing the boot partition back to 3 (rather than 2). I found that I was able to get the newer builds to work by doing this ...
huh? changing the boot partition back to 3? I'm lost here. Please explain. Thanks.
trexplorer
Tinkerer

Post by trexplorer »

the21st wrote:
trexplorer wrote:
huh? changing the boot partition back to 3? I'm lost here. Please explain. Thanks.
read http://www.emaculation.com/phpBB/viewto ... 02&start=0

but try setting boot partition to 3 instead of 2 ....
dilacerated
Tinkerer

Post by dilacerated »

trexplorer wrote:
ha, now that's rich. would never have seen that one coming :P. i'll give it a run in a bit.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

trexplorer wrote:
Now i know why i have no problems with these builds: i have no 3rd partition (i have only the apple_partition_map and mac_os_x, what is the third on your hd?)
rccola70
Tinkerer

Post by rccola70 »

i Can't do it!

I don't know why but when I try to switch 2 and 3 it just goes back to top line command.

I can switch 3 and 4 though.
:?:
dilacerated
Tinkerer

Post by dilacerated »

well even after switching the partition locations still the same issue persists. hopefully this can be ironed by the 0.4 final release. i'm a patient person :).
rccola70 wrote:i Can't do it!

I don't know why but when I try to switch 2 and 3 it just goes back to top line command.

ok assuming you are booting off the first OS X CDROM to Shell then the commands will be as follows:

pdisk [enter]
e [enter]
/dev/disk0 [enter]
p [enter]
r [enter]
2 [enter]
3 [enter]
w [enter] y [enter]
q [enter]
q [enter]
reboot [enter]

i'm assuming this is what you did. this didn't work?
templest
Tinkerer

Post by templest »

Bah, I had the same hardisk not being recognized as bootable, but instead of getting the precompiled exe's, just build it yourself with cygwin, works fine. Don't ask me why. :?
blknight
Student Driver

Post by blknight »

To everyone:

Yes there has been a problem with CVS in 0.4pre that causes pearpc not boot OSX hd images.

The good news is that there is a fix that needs to be tested for verification.

Thanks,
blknight
eaglebtc
Inquisitive Elf

Post by eaglebtc »

Sweet. Tekmaven needs to remove some of those bad builds to make room on his file server ;)
rccola70
Tinkerer

Post by rccola70 »

dilacerated wrote:well even after switching the partition locations still the same issue persists. hopefully this can be ironed by the 0.4 final release. i'm a patient person :).

ok assuming you are booting off the first OS X CDROM to Shell then the commands will be as follows:

pdisk [enter]
e [enter]
/dev/disk0 [enter]
p [enter]
r [enter]
2 [enter]
3 [enter]
w [enter] y [enter]
q [enter]
q [enter]
reboot [enter]

OK, I found out that you have to press 3 then 2 for it to work.

So the steps would be:
pdisk
e
/dev/disk0
p
r
w
y
p (if u want to make sure)
q
q
reboot

8)
blknight
Student Driver

Post by blknight »

Guys: you don't have redo all of your hd images to be able to boot. As I said earlier, there is a fix in the CVS for builds. However, It is a good thing to go and test the fix.

blknight
entity00
Space Cadet

Post by entity00 »

Can anybody post a fixed build please (or a link to it) ?
I cannot the remoteCVS function (suspect my ISP blocks some ports...).

Thanks in advance,
EnTiTy
dilacerated
Tinkerer

Post by dilacerated »

rccola70 wrote:
dilacerated wrote:well even after switching the partition locations still the same issue persists. hopefully this can be ironed by the 0.4 final release. i'm a patient person :).

pdisk [enter]
e [enter]
/dev/disk0 [enter]
p [enter]
r [enter]
2 [enter]
3 [enter]
w [enter] y [enter]
q [enter]
q [enter]
reboot [enter]

OK, I found out that you have to press 3 then 2 for it to work.

So the steps would be:
pdisk
e
/dev/disk0
p
r
w
y
p (if u want to make sure)
q
q
reboot

8)
funny that'd be just like how one would do to install sans Darwin :P. and all of the drive images i have have already gone through that change. what has been said for some to work was to revert the 3 and 2 and essentially not make the change one needs to make to install without Darwin. oh, well i am going to just going to take to building my own builds from here on out via Cygwin.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

RemoteCVS is down at the moment , something wrong with Guru3's computer....It will be back soon

Oh yeah , if you want to make your new 0.4pre disk partation bootable in ealier builds , use my Toast Build fix , it fixes for that aswell

http://prasystem.uni.cc/pearpc

So you can still have the offical 0.3 and the latest 0.4 (just incase if you want to swap back)