New PC and PPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Neospy
Mac Mechanic

New PC and PPC

Post by Neospy »

Yes!!!!!!!!! Now I finally got a new pc!

Specs:
3ghz P4 w/ HYPER THREAD
1 gb of ram
dual 150 gb SATA hd
Nvidia GeForce FX 6600 GT (PCI Express... A Heck of a lot better than my old Ti4200)
Sony DVD +R+RW
AOpen 52x
a floppy drive
and a new HP PSC 2355 Printer.

PPC is gonna kick BUTT with this!

just gotta get the latest builds....

>NEOSPY 8)
>Now with 3.0GHZ instead of 1.3!
Yukon Kid
Mac Mechanic

Post by Yukon Kid »

geez why not just buy a mac??? hehehehe
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

I like my windows games...
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

Boot Time for PPC 0.31 Non-Optimised:

1 minute and 46 seconds!
VERY FAST MOUSE!

After I defragged my C volume (PPC's on another) 1 minute and 37 seconds??? Made a Difference???
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

Neospy wrote:Boot Time for PPC 0.31 Non-Optimised:

1 minute and 46 seconds!
VERY FAST MOUSE!

After I defragged my C volume (PPC's on another) 1 minute and 37 seconds??? Made a Difference???
I've been saving up a whole year for a new pc,
which I will buy for X-mas. It's gonna be an Athlon64 system
(probably the 3500+ s939). Any other components I should consider
in relationship to speed improvement under PearPC/OS X?

p.s.: one thing I know: it's gonna be a whole lot faster than my current K6-2 450mhz system!!!

Greetings,

wiebeest
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

wiebeest wrote:
Neospy wrote:Boot Time for PPC 0.31 Non-Optimised:

1 minute and 46 seconds!
VERY FAST MOUSE!

I've been saving up a whole year for a new pc,
which I will buy for X-mas. It's gonna be an Athlon64 system
(probably the 3500+ s939). Any other components I should consider
in relationship to speed improvement under PearPC/OS X?

p.s.: one thing I know: it's gonna be a whole lot faster than my current K6-2 450mhz system!!!

Greetings,

wiebeest
Well, If Prasys finishes his hardware Nvidia GFX acceleration and it is better by christmas, maybe a good Nvidia Card. The 6600 GT is really awesome for games and the genie on PPC is um... ok... But my 6600 GT is PCI Express. Oh yeah, and some ram!

>Neospy 8)
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

THIS IS NOW MY OFFICIAL BOOT TIMES LIST:

Boot Time for PPC 0.31 Non-Optimised:

1 minute and 46 seconds!
VERY FAST MOUSE!
After I defragged my C volume (PPC's on another) 1 minute and 37 seconds??? Made a Difference??? both running w/ default 0x8000000 ram.

Boot Time for PPC 0.4 pre w/ SDL and W/O SDL

W/ SDL Build 12/5 :

W/O SDL Build 12/5:
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Wow! It's so fast it's not even a time! :lol:
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

Neospy wrote: Well, If Prasys finishes his hardware Nvidia GFX acceleration and it is better by christmas, maybe a good Nvidia Card. The 6600 GT is really awesome for games and the genie on PPC is um... ok... But my 6600 GT is PCI Express. Oh yeah, and some ram!
>Neospy 8)
Yeah, I am seriously considering a PCIe GeForce 6.
PCIe is supposed to be (theoretically) faster than AGP 8*.
And now the first socket 939 (A64) with PCIe are becoming available on the market here. Also the PCIe versions of Geforce 6 (6600/ 6600 GT) seem to be much cheaper here on Alternate (biggest & cheapest Dutch pc supplier).

Why on earth the versions of the future GPU-socket (PCIe) are cheaper than the current sockets (AGP) beats me, maybe it's marketing strategie to encourage PCIe amongst pc-consumers but...hey, I'm not complaining. :wink:

Memory will be 1024 mb (pc 3200).
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

wiebeest wrote:
Neospy wrote: Well, If Prasys finishes his hardware Nvidia GFX acceleration and it is better by christmas, maybe a good Nvidia Card. The 6600 GT is really awesome for games and the genie on PPC is um... ok... But my 6600 GT is PCI Express. Oh yeah, and some ram!
>Neospy 8)
Yeah, I am seriously considering a PCIe GeForce 6.
PCIe is supposed to be (theoretically) faster than AGP 8*.
And now the first socket 939 (A64) with PCIe are becoming available on the market here. Also the PCIe versions of Geforce 6 (6600/ 6600 GT) seem to be much cheaper here on Alternate (biggest & cheapest Dutch pc supplier).

Why on earth the versions of the future GPU-socket (PCIe) are cheaper than the current sockets (AGP) beats me, maybe it's marketing strategie to encourage PCIe amongst pc-consumers but...hey, I'm not complaining. :wink:

Memory will be 1024 mb (pc 3200).
PCI Express is a HECK of a lot faster. My intel board claims the PCIExpress Graphics slot is 16x. And 3dmark gave me really good scores except on 3dmark 05 it is like 9fps???

Oh, and about the boot times, the builds i downloaded were broken. I had to learn how to self compile con cygwin. It is soo fun (really) because I compile in about 2 mins. Oh, and I didn't clock them.

>Neospy 8)
bonehead
Tinkerer

Post by bonehead »

wiebeest wrote:Why on earth the versions of the future GPU-socket (PCIe) are cheaper than the current sockets (AGP) beats me
Most new AGP cards are based off the PCIe version, with an AGP<->PCIe bridge--sometimes on-chip, sometimes off. I would guess you're paying extra for the bridge.
wiebeest wrote:PCI Express is a HECK of a lot faster. My intel board claims the PCIExpress Graphics slot is 16x.
While the 16x term has little to do with its relation to AGP (16x PCIe means 16 PCIe 1x "lanes"), It does seem to work out. I think 16x PCIe is about twice as fast (4Gbps) as AGP 8x (2Gbps).

Question: Has apple announced support for PCIe?
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

bonehead wrote:Question: Has apple announced support for PCIe?
What do you mean by that? All high-end G5's have PCI-X (different term for the same thing) since there were G5's.
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

Now that was a big avatar, even bigger than mine :D
bonehead
Tinkerer

Post by bonehead »

PPC_Digger wrote:What do you mean by that? All high-end G5's have PCI-X (different term for the same thing) since there were G5's.
No. PCI-X is basically an extension of 64-bit PCI. Not even close to PCIe. Two completely different standards, and connectors for that matter.

Calling PCI-X the same as PCIe is like calling USB the same as "Firewire".
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

bonehead wrote:
PPC_Digger wrote:What do you mean by that? All high-end G5's have PCI-X (different term for the same thing) since there were G5's.
No. PCI-X is basically an extension of 64-bit PCI. Not even close to PCIe. Two completely different standards, and connectors for that matter.

Calling PCI-X the same as PCIe is like calling USB the same as "Firewire".
Sorry for my mistake. So, did Apple say something about PCIe in macs?