PearPC for windows runs in Cygwin!

About PearPC, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux that can run MacOS X up to 10.4.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Neospy
Mac Mechanic

PearPC for windows runs in Cygwin!

Post by Neospy »

I found that, if you start cygwin, you can start PearPC in cygwin, and cygwin creates the native pearpc window, without an error! Is this old news or new news? Why can ppc.exe be started in cygwin? This is a windows app that runs natively in cygwin.

>neospy 8)
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Yea, you can run PearPC in X11 using Cygwin too. There's a flag for it in the config, I think you need to set the window system X11. It works even if you have an SDL build. Cygwin can run command-line .exe's well.
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

Yea, you can run PearPC in X11 using Cygwin too. There's a flag for it in the config, I think you need to set the window system X11. It works even if you have an SDL build. Cygwin can run command-line .exe's well.
TheBigB
Inquisitive Elf

Post by TheBigB »

well i once brought up a windows command prompt up in an xterm. i'm serious! start x, open an xterm and type

Code: Select all

/cygdrive/c/windows/system32/cmd.exe
in windows nt, 2k or xp. i'll guarantee it will work.
EDIT: willhart if you didn't know you double posted. the icon with a "no" sign will delete your second post.
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

willhart wrote:Yea, you can run PearPC in X11 using Cygwin too. There's a flag for it in the config, I think you need to set the window system X11. It works even if you have an SDL build. Cygwin can run command-line .exe's well.
No , I mean not even in X11! I just executed it after I built todays G4 (Altivec) build. It runs even though I didn't type startx! Oh, and the Command prompt works even without X11

>neospy 8)
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Proof!

Post by Neospy »

PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Of course it does! Cygwin apps are just standard windows apps that use the cygwin dll as well as other windows dll's. There is no reason why windows apps won't run in cygwin and vice-versa. You can even run a Cygwin app without Cygwin, as long as you have the cygwin dll.