PearPC Linux Distro

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Neospy
Mac Mechanic

PearPC Linux Distro

Post by Neospy »

Ok,

I propose a PearPC Linux Distrobution! Come on, lets make something cool! I can't program at all (although I have a Windows PocketPC 2003 Dev Disk) I can build a website (neonet.savefile.com) and can help out with testing, eye candy, and other stuff. I think we should build a graphical distrobution using some good window manager that doesn't eat RAM, spruce it up (OSX like look) and make it easy to set up PearPC with a GUI configuration file editor, HD file maker, and other helpful items like support for nightly build upgrading , the choice of G4 (Altivec) G3, and SDL builds of both.

Here's the plan:

1. make an initial build (really crappy no real good stuff yet)

2. get a sourceforge site (We'll show those people who "are planning" their distro) and if they don't accept us, well, I'll host it!

3. Build site (I can do that. I have Dreamweaver MX 2004 + Fireworks MX 2004)

4. public release - the initial lame build

5. work on it....

6. work on it more....

7. get in the online media so we get publicity, not Cherry 0$

8. Well.... We're done

That's it. Any takers? Any? Gee, we might even get donations!

>neospy 8)
TheBigB
Inquisitive Elf

Post by TheBigB »

well i'm not very good at it but i have photoshop cs. i would at least try to help with the graphics... i also have a website that could at least be a temporary one (i got one of those 6 month 1and1 businesspro package things for free and i'm not sure if i am gonna keep it since my dad has the same thing)
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

I can help with the initial consturction of the boot cd, and with some programming and automation as well.
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

There has been som projects trying to make a PearPC Linux distro, but none of them are active.
spruce it up (OSX like look)
Bad idea, because such themes use a lot of RAM. Better to use a simplistic theme with a simplistic window manager, like fluxbox or Window Maker.
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

trygvebw wrote:Bad idea, because such themes use a lot of RAM. Better to use a simplistic theme with a simplistic window manager, like fluxbox or Window Maker.
I'd suggest using a windows manager only for the configuration/installation(of the emulator)/etc. and disabling it when the emulator starts, because it'll run full screen anyway.
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Re: PearPC Linux Distro

Post by trygvebw »

Would this PearPC-distribution be made from scratch or be based on an existing distribution?
trygvebw
Granny Smith

Post by trygvebw »

If anybody wants to discuss this project, come to #pearpc-linux at the IRC server irc.freenode.net.
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Great...:D , I will take a look into it