Thanks ! - and a question ...

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

bb_matt
Space Cadet

Thanks ! - and a question ...

Post by bb_matt »

First off, thanks for this great forum and of course the PearPC software !

Being a bit of an OS nut (like most of you probably are), I was intruiged by PearPC when I first heard about it, which was incidentally, via Wired.com's report on cherryos *if I'm allowed to mention that here !*

I actually visited the PearPC site and then promptly forgot all about it - got sidetracked.

cherryos once again got mentioned on wired, so I decided to give PearPC a go.

I snagged my brothers 10.2 install - he's just got a new mac with 10.3, so he let me borrow his disks temporarily.

Well, it was almost as much fun getting it running as it is configuring an obscure linux kernel module :) - without these forums I would still be running around like a headless chicken.

Got 10.2 installed on two test systems :-

WinXP, AMD Athlon 2400+, 1 gig 333 SDRAM

Slackware 10.1, AMD Athlon 1333+, 256meg 266 SDRAM

I was very suprised I got it installed on the Slackware box due to low end specs and lack of ram. In fact, I got the Slackware to start installing before the win box and used a few tricks learnt from the forum to then get the winXP box going.

I installed on slackware using CVS

Interestingly enough, although the AMD 1333+ is slower than winXP, running pearpc via blackbox resulted in far snappier mouse control than under winXP. (something to do with the latest pre release ?)

I intend to copy the 3gig image across to a slackware partition on my winXP PC's hardware to give it a good comparison tommorrow.

Ok, and now the question :-

10.2 and winXP networking with TAP installed - is it possible ?
I read somewhere here and forget where, that 10.2 + networking are an absolute bear to set up ? - should I rather try and snag 10.3 ?

I'm a bit reluctant to ask my brother for his 10.3 disks for this experiment - I guess it's not strictly legal, his 10.2 he hasn't got installed on any of his macs, so I figured it would be ok as a limited test.

I tried to get Linux networking setup following the guide, but after compiling the neccessary modules and following the instructions, I've had no luck.

Anyway, I'm getting a new laptop this year and I think I'm going to get an iBook - will have to see how biz and money goes ! :D
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

10.3 is very easy to setup. I have not tried 10.2 yet, and I think it's only been done by a certain few.