Cherry OS - The Evidence!

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Marc
Master Emulator

Cherry OS - The Evidence!

Post by Marc »

I'd advise everyone to check out this webpage. The blogger totally rips apart Cherry OS leaning on a number of sources and there's proof that it's not JUST PearPC he's ripped off....

Evidence here
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Thanks Marc. Now Arben can cover even more tracks in the next release of CherryOS. :wink:
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

I wouldn't worry about that - Dan Foesch certainly doesn't seem concerned, as he stated in the thread on 'that other site'.

I think the fact that there are plenty copies of the original release out there in the wild is the main point. Hell, someone at Wired news even has that beta copy Arben gave them back in Autumn last year - when it was REALLY blatant.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Wired news are ass lickers tho! They published the nonsense that there was 80% native speed. Nonsense.

I'm sorry about letting him on the scent MacEmu, but I'm pretty sure they're screwed anyway!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Unfortunately my post made it sound like I was being sarcastic and blaming you for pointing out the article (to Arben). I did not mean it that way.

I'm aware of the earlier beta build that was shown to be a hack of PearPC. Arben cleared all those tell-tale signs for this public release, but now this article points out more signs, which Arben will undoubtably fix (if he can) for the next release.
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

I did wonder about this: is it sufficient to produce a copy of the incriminating app., or did someone need to get it witnessed by a lawyer etc. at the time?

I don't know how easy it is to falsify compiled code, so maybe you wizards can venture a theory on that one...
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

The article does say that the company has been removing signs from the app on a day by day basis without acknowledging a change as bloggers like himself are posting the evidence.

This charade must end!
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

You mean for some criminal to reverse engineer CherryOS and create a patch to show PearPC symbols in the resulting patched CherryOS executable? It could be done, if not in hours, then in days by a skilled software hacker.

But I believe there are enough witnesses who can take an oath that the CherryOS binary that they downloaded from the Maui site matched much of the code in PearPC.

I guess it would depend on what country the court was in. I imagine there are certain courts somewhere where GPL violations have been disputed in the past.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

Cherry OS's parent company is based in the US, so this would be interesting to see if GPL would stand up in court.

In the past it's only been due to a corporate decision to enfoprce the GPL, such as the time when an MPEG-4 codec was released that contained Xvid source code.

We've seen debates as to whether the GPL and other licenses could stand up in court. Now we will see what happens. And if people have enough money to defend it.
reub2000
Space Cadet

Post by reub2000 »

This guy needs a defense fund so he can sue these ****ers into bankrupcy. Anyone know where to donate?
CaptainValor
Forum All-Star

Post by CaptainValor »

Man this kind of stuff makes me angry...

I hope the PearPC folks get a good legal team together and make some serious cash off this thief. Then they can quit their day jobs and focus 100% on making PearPC the best it can possibly be.
niuus
Student Driver

Post by niuus »

reub2000 wrote:This guy needs a defense fund so he can sue these ****ers into bankrupcy. Anyone know where to donate?
8)
http://sourceforge.net/donate/index.php?group_id=108675
danboarder
Space Cadet

he can win.

Post by danboarder »

I contributed to the defense fund. I think PearPC can win.

Here is an article describing a similar case where the GPL won.
http://www.linuxworld.com/story/48833.htm

--
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

CherryOS page
The CherryOS test was taken from March 28th 2005 using CherryOS 1.2 and OS X 10.3. The results show that the CherryOS overall CPU score was a 5.44 (roughly 11 times faster than PearPC). In addition you will note that there is an Altivec Basic score of 6.38. CherryOS registers a score in this category because it is a G4 emulation not a G3 emulation like PearPC. Finally please note that the Bus Frequency registers at 458MHz (almost 8 times faster than the PearPC).

Could this bench be true? The fastest PearPC emulation gives 1/15th perfomance.
If CherryOS is 11 times faster (as would be the consequence of their PearPC is 11 times slower-statement), you'd get near-real time emulation of OS X on x86 with this new 1.2 CherryOS built... :cool:

Actually:
1/15*11=0.73 speed OS X emulation, which would still be V E R R Y cool if true.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

It probably means 11 times faster than the standard PearPC, i.e. non JIT version. There is no way it is near real time emulation.
willhart
Apple Corer

Post by willhart »

They are comparing the Altivec capabilities of CherryOS, which has Altivec to PearPC (non-Altivec). In a fair competition between CherryOS and PearPC Altivec, PearPC is about [b]3 times faster.[/b]
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

willhart wrote:They are comparing the Altivec capabilities of CherryOS, which has Altivec to PearPC (non-Altivec). In a fair competition between CherryOS and PearPC Altivec, PearPC is about 3 times faster.
So the Altivec builts are faster than normal PearPC. I understand that the Altivec simulate G4 instead of G3. First there was PearPC, which was 1/500th speed (...), then JITC was implemented which boosted PPC-emulation to ca. 1/15th speed, right?

Question#1
But why is Altivec faster (since I assume PearPC has to emulate this MMX/SSE/#D-Now! equevalant on top of emulating the PowerPC processor, right?)?

Q#2
& how do I enable this? Is is just a matter of selecting an altivec built in my PearGUI or do I have to alter/add something in it's config file?

Then there's SDL, which is supposed to use your graphics card. Isn't this much faster? The SDL builts I've downloaded contain an SDL.dll file.

Q#3
Is it sufficient to just have this file extracted to the PearPC.exe directory, or does one have to make the emulator aware of this option through config file too? And how do I do this?

CherryOS supposedly emulates G4 too.
Q#4
Does that mean it is based on a PearPC Altivec built?

Btw CherryOS is announced to become open source starting from may this year. Does that suggest it'll gonna be free from now on
(as it should have from the start, being the PearPC rip-off GUI+HFSExplorer it is).
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

wiebeest wrote:So the Altivec builts are faster than normal PearPC. I understand that the Altivec simulate G4 instead of G3. First there was PearPC, which was 1/500th speed (...), then JITC was implemented which boosted PPC-emulation to ca. 1/15th speed, right?

Question#1
But why is Altivec faster (since I assume PearPC has to emulate this MMX/SSE/#D-Now! equevalant on top of emulating the PowerPC processor, right?)?
Your mileage may vary, but the Altivec emulation doesn't bring much (if any) overall speed increase to PearPC. In fact I think it makes booting a little slower, but I don't benchmark...
Q#2
& how do I enable this? Is is just a matter of selecting an altivec built in my PearGUI or do I have to alter/add something in it's config file?
It is a different build, so you have to get a binary from Prasys' site or one of the other binary sites. Or install Cygwin and build it yourself. You do need to change the configfile too, though: change

cpu_pvr = 0x00088302

to

cpu_pvr = 0x000c0000
Then there's SDL, which is supposed to use your graphics card. Isn't this much faster? The SDL builts I've downloaded contain an SDL.dll file.
That's the SDL library, used by PearPC to draw the screen if you are using an SDL build. It is reputedly better than the Win32 build (which uses DirectX/OpenGL) for built-in graphics cards like Intel Extreme, as opposed to your GeForces and Radeons and whatnot.
Q#3
Is it sufficient to just have this file extracted to the PearPC.exe directory, or does one have to make the emulator aware of this option through config file too? And how do I do this?
No - SDL is another build option, so you need a PearPC binary built to use SDL. No configuration is needed.
CherryOS supposedly emulates G4 too.
Q#4
Does that mean it is based on a PearPC Altivec built?
We can neither confirm nor deny this at this time, but Daniel Foesch who does the Altivec branch was certain enough to call his lawyers...
Btw CherryOS is announced to become open source starting from may this year. Does that suggest it'll gonna be free from now on
(as it should have from the start, being the PearPC rip-off GUI+HFSExplorer it is).
Watch this space. Daniel has stated that, as CherryOS's 'developers' have already violated the GPL licence of PearPC, their rights to redistribute it under said licence are withdrawn. Even if a court considers this not to be automatically the case, Daniel is entitled to revoke those rights from them because of their violation.
wiebeest
Tinkerer

Post by wiebeest »

Havin_it wrote:
That's the SDL library, used by PearPC to draw the screen if you are using an SDL build. It is reputedly better than the Win32 build (which uses DirectX/OpenGL) for built-in graphics cards like Intel Extreme, as opposed to your GeForces and Radeons and whatnot.
Do you mean that SDL= better with the built-in graphics.
So for my AMD64/ Geforce6600 combo I should use the Win32 build???
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

Most folks seem to say so, I can't speak first-hand for such hi-end kit.

I have Intel on-board graphics and, while the speed difference doesn't seem noticeable, my Win32 builds can't go full-screen (I just get my original 600x800 with white trim). Your mileage may vary, I'd recommend trying both.