Update me

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Stephen Coates
Expert User

Update me

Post by Stephen Coates »

As I have not used PearPC yet (the last version I downloaded was 0.1) I have sort of lost track of it.

Could someone please briefly update me on the following things?

*Which MacOS is supported
*How fast it is
*How stable it is
*Anything else that would be relevant to a PearPC n00b. (Well, I'm not exactly a n00b, but you could call me one as I have never actually *used* pearpc)

The reason I ask is so I don't have to go crawling round loads of different topics and sites.

Can someone also tell me roughly what sort of speed I could get running MacOSX Jaguar on a 400MHz Celeron processor?

Thanks
Steve
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi Steven,

I am sorry to disappoint you, but with your hardware, you will be looking at a turtle racing a snail. (sheepshaver vs. pearpc)

Also, Panther or Tiger are supported better with PearPC. To get maximum performance, pick up one of the optimized PearPC builds from here:
http://www.prasys.net.tc/

From the official site:
"the client will run about 15 times slower than the host."

So your PC will run a PPC machine at about 400/15=26 Mhz (ok, maybe more like 27Mhz). But still, it will be a nice experience seeing OSX booting on a PC.

Stability is excellent, though!

Good Luck!

Cat_7
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

Thanks.

I do have a 500MHz PIII, but it's being a pain in the you know what at the moment, so I've given up uing that until I decide I want to fix it.

I could try it on my dads computer tomorow as that is a 2.4GHz celeron.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

That would be a whole lot better idea.

And as a bonus, PearPC is not in the habit of screwing up a system.

Cat_7
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I'll go and do a copy of my mums Jaguar CDs. Unforuantely we don't have any newer versions yet.
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

I'm still stuck using Jaguar too. It runs (slow) ok, but there's always been a problem getting it networked (it can be done, at least with an older PearPC build). Let (us) me know if you ever get networking working on PearPC using Jaguar please.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hey MacEmu:

You know what to do: run PearPC 2.0 with mac OS 10.2, the correct TAP-device setup (Pearpc was rather picky on that in those days), and networking is no problem. I once spent a whole evening reinventing :lol: this knowledge when PearPC 0.4 pre was already among us.

Cat_7
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

When I quit school (and possibly quit my crappy job) and move into my own apartment in the upcoming weeks, I'll try it out again. Thanks.