Can't Save Config File

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

..::| Dave89 |::..
Mac Mechanic

Can't Save Config File

Post by ..::| Dave89 |::.. »

I've been trying to get PearPC up and running on my computer, but when I try to save the config file all I get is a message saying: "Run-time error '75' Path/file access error." I'm running windows Vista, I've set up PearPC according to the instructions at http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pearpc_setup.

I haven't got a Mac OS X installation disc yet, I thought I'd try to get the 6 GB boot disk running before I seek one out on eBay.

Dave
Australia
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

For starters, I would recommend uninstalling the control panel and trying again. It is awfully buggy, and I got a ton of mysterious run-time errors when I wrote that guide.

Here's a post I wrote:

"It is necessary to uninstall the control panel AND remove the leftover files from the program directory (lots of .ini files are not removed by the uninstaller).

Reinstall the control panel and it should work again.

Not sure what causes the runtime error in the first place... the panel worked well for a few hours and then crapped out on me."

http://pearpc.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5 ... ime#p48214

If that doesn't work, you can always create an ini file without the use of the control panel.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Meanwhile, if you need to set up the ini file without using the control panel, try this link:

http://wiki.pearpc.net/index.php?title= ... ation_File
Mac Mechanic

I uninstalled the control panel using the Programs and Features panel in Control Panels, couldn't find anything to do with the control panel in Program Files, and reinstalled the control panel with no success.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Then I suggest you give up on the control panel (it is too buggy to be of use to you) and consult the link I gave for creating a manual config file. You can copy and paste the example there and be finished in about five minutes.
Mac Mechanic

I've tried that, saved it as config.cfg in Notepad, but I'm not too sure where to put it.

I've copied and pasted the contents of the file into this message so someone can confirm I've done it correctly:

#
# Created with PearPC Control Panel
#C:\Users\Dave\Desktop\redscorp-release-20080329.1\redscorp-release-20080329.1\release\ppc-generic-mmx.exe
#FinderIcon

ppc_start_resolution = "1024x800x32"

ppc_start_full_screen = 0

redraw_interval_msec = 20

key_change_cd_0 = "none"
key_toggle_mouse_grab = "F12"
key_toggle_full_screen = "Alt Return"

prom_bootmethod = "select"

#prom_bootmethod = "force"
#prom_loadfile = "test/yaboot"
#prom_env_bootpath = "disk"

#prom_env_bootargs = ""
#prom_env_machargs = "-v"

prom_driver_graphic = "video.x"

#page_table_pa = 104857600

#cpu_pvr = 0x00088302
#cpu_pvr = 0x000c0201

memory_size = 0x8000000

pci_ide0_master_installed = 1
pci_ide0_master_image = "d:\PearPC\6gb.img"
#pci_ide0_master_type = "hd"

pci_ide0_slave_installed = 1
pci_ide0_slave_image = "d:\"
#pci_ide0_slave_image = "2,0,0"
#pci_ide0_slave_image = "/dev/cdrom"
pci_ide0_slave_type = "nativecdrom"

pci_3c90x_installed = 0
pci_3c90x_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"

pci_rtl8139_installed = 0
pci_rtl8139_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:35"

pci_usb_installed = 1
nvram_file = "nvram"
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Looks okay to me!

Put it in the main PearPC directory. That is, wherever the executable is.
Mac Mechanic

All I get is a black screen appearing and disappearing instantly. I tried to open the boot disk in Mac OS 8.6 in SheepShaver to see if there was anything in it, there was nothing. I'll try extracting the disk image with WinRar again.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

You need to run PearPC through the command prompt. Double-clicking on ppc.exe won't work.

AND as you do that, you need to let it know the name of your config file. Do it like this:

run---> cmd

cd c:\PearPC
ppc ppc.txt

(That assumes that you installed to c:\pearpc and that ppc.txt is what config file is called. Follow?)
Mac Mechanic

It still won't launch. I get "ppc.txt is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable or batch file. I even took the folder named "release" from the PearPC folder and named it PearPC, still nothing.
Mac Mechanic

I unzipped the boot disk again, tried to open it in OS 8.6, it's recognized as a HFS Extended disk with 5.8 GB free storage, named "untitled" with nothing in it, although in the Get Info window, it says there's 23 files in it. Perhaps Mac OS 8 isn't recognizing it properly?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

What boot disk are you talking about? You should try to boot a copy of OS X. That's what you should boot.

You said "I haven't got a Mac OS X installation disc yet." Do you have a copy yet? The 6gb image in the tutorial is for installing OS X to. It's not something that you can boot from before you install the OS.

Meanwhile, you should try to solve the problem you are having with the config file.

What is the name of your config file? I used ppc.txt as an example. Is your config file called ppc.txt? Or is it config.cfg? If it is the latter, you need to type that out in the command prompt. For example:

cd c:\PearPC
ppc config.cfg
Mac Mechanic

I've named the config file ppc.txt.

I thought the 6 GB disk image was bootable as the page said it was, I must have misread it. I'll have to get myself a copy of OS X in the next few days, I'll keep this thread in my bookmarks for reference.