Virtual Box style GUI for PearPC

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ClockWise
Site Admin

Virtual Box style GUI for PearPC

Post by ClockWise »

A GUI for PearPC in the style of Virtual Box is available over here:

http://pearpc.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5979

Not quite finished, but when it is fleshed out, it could be better than the other options available now.

Update from 2011:

A fresh download link is here: http://www.kxlan.co.uk/Jamie
Last edited by ClockWise on Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

TheGag96
Space Cadet

Post by TheGag96 »

The Rapidshare link doesn't work...
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I think you are out of luck, then.

You can try PearPC control panel:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/pea ... trol_panel

Or you can just edit the prefs using the config generator and launch manually (info on that page).
TheGag96
Space Cadet

Post by TheGag96 »

Actually, I was just saying the link was broken.

However, PPC Control Panel somehow doesn't work on my computer now for what ever reason, but I got it to work anyway through the command line.

BTW Anyone who reads this post and are trying to use redscorp as the PearPC executable and are having some problems, it won't work, as far as I've tried. Go to the PearPC website and use the 0.4 because that one works perfectly for me.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

The control panel is, indeed, very buggy. I try to recommend that people use the web-based config file generator and launch from the command prompt instead. That is a much better way of doing things.

I include it here only because back in the day I got a ton of e-mail requests for the file!!
smithdwsn
Space Cadet

Post by smithdwsn »

I think some parameters you have to add in it. First of all, the capability to choose boot parameter, video redraw interval, cpu type and network interface etc. Overall Virtual Box for Pear-pc is the best tool.
JamieBartlett
Space Cadet

Post by JamieBartlett »

Hi Guys, Jamie Bartlett here. I wrote The Virtual Box Gui a few summers ago. I realise this is a massive bump as this thread has been inactive for a while but when you search for PearPC gui on google this thread shows up.

Yes the rapidshare link is broken

The real link, along with my portfolio, is here. http://www.kxlan.co.uk/Jamie

I'm flattered that something I created as a pet project is being recognized.

(also, I lost the source code when I upgraded my PC so v 3.0 might be a long while coming)

Cheers

Jamie
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Welcome to the forum, Jamie.

I'll post the new link upthread, so everyone can find it.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Meanwhile... will this work with the redscorp builds of PearPC? I might like to update the PearPC setup guide in the wiki to include your GUI.
JamieBartlett
Space Cadet

Post by JamieBartlett »

Thank you, I would, again, be flattered for my software to be included on your wiki.

I haven't touched the project for... 2 years and my memory of how it works is a bit stale. I have only recently discovered that people are using it. I think 'yes' it did work with the redscorp builds but don't quote me on that until you test it. Jus replace the version of pearPC my gui installs with the redscorp build and give it a go yourself.
McIntosh
Tinkerer

outbreaking

Post by McIntosh »

WOW! That will save a lot of noob's time.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Virtual Box style GUI for PearPC

Post by adespoton »

Looks like the download's been offline since 2016. Here's an archive.org link: http://web.archive.org/web/201610190730 ... .uk/Jamie/
SistemaRayoXP
Tinkerer

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

Someone said :roll: (Clockwise I guess) that a possible solution is to encript the file with password, then to upload it to some site like MediaFire or MEGA (I personally choose MediaFire since it has no download limit). So here it is:

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/n3bxal549 ... %20GUI.rar
Password: PearPCVBGUI

Hope this helps a bit
Hill radio station first attempt: Failure. Retrying...
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Thanks; I may have a go at obfuscating it so it's no longer detected by any AV scanners. Seems like that may work better than getting it delisted at this point.

[edit] Well, now I know why it was detected. Avira and Kaspersky detect it as an archive bomb, due to the large null-filled disk images it has archived inside it. Symantec and McAfee (and a bunch of third rate scanners) detect it because Avira and Kaspersky do.

So there's no way around the detections, as they're trying to uncompress the contents and seeing the results blow up into huge files -- usually something done maliciously. To avoid the detections, the actual software would have to be tweaked to use password-protected zips to archive the blank images, or create them programmatically on the fly.

So yes, this password-protected rar file is the best solution. I recommend we stick it wherever we were hosting the old copy (maybe on this website)?

You definitely don't want AV software scanning this on a low-end system, as some will die unceremoneously after eating up all your drive space/memory, and others will detect it instead.

If someone wants to tweak the actual software and create a new installer, that'd be the best long-term solution.