Classic Game in PearPC - Classic Environment

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

maccloud
Space Cadet

Classic Game in PearPC - Classic Environment

Post by maccloud »

Hi

Sorry for my English....... :shock:

I want to Play a classic mac game (Star Wars Racer), but my iBook is broken, so i
try running this game in sheep shaver with OS9, but after the animated intro sequence the Screen is black and nothing
happens. (OpenGL issue, i think)

Then i try this game together with PearPc, but the Classic Environment is needed.
Ok :twisted: , i copy the System Folder from a OS9.2 InstCd (retail) to the root of PearPc's Tiger. I start Classic now, but the
blue timebar hangs after the first 2mm and some minutes later classic was finished automaticly.

OS9.2 System Folder isn't to see in the 'choose the Startvolume'-section of 10.4.

1) How can i install the classic Environment on PearPc correctly?

2) How can i play Star Wars Racer without my iBook-Hardware, if 1) doesn't work?

regards,
tilo
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: Classic Game in PearPC - Classic Environment

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

SheepShaver doesn't support OpenGL, as you correctly noticed.
PearPC doesn't support Classic and is too slow to run games.

So there currently is no solution to your problem (beside getting new hardware ;-)

Best,
Cat_7
maccloud
Space Cadet

Post by maccloud »

:sad:

nevertheless, thank you!

tilo
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Here's a quick rundown of what does what (that runs on OS X):
  • Mini vMac: emulates Mac 128k through Mac II, System 0.97 through 7.5.5. Running sound and color at the same time is still iffy.
  • Basilisk II: emulates a 68030 Performa or a 68040 Quadra, running System 7.1 through Mac OS 8.1.
  • SheepShaver: emulates an Old-World PowerPC Mac or early G3 Mac running System 7.1.2 through 9.0.4. Hardware accellerators and graphics cards not supported. 680x0 emulation appears to be mostly supported.
  • PearPC: emulates a New-World PowerPC G3 or G4 Mac running OS X 10.1 through OS X 10.4. Does not support Classic environment.
Then you have:
  • Shoebill: Emulates a Mac II, A/UX 2 through 3.1.
  • Executor: SIMULATES Mac OS 7.5.3 on a Mac II.
  • MESS: Emulates a Mac Plus and Mac II, possibly a Quadra now, and a Pippin. Work being done on Old-World PowerPC. Runs System 6 through 8.1. In process of being made Open Source, so it can share with others (like QEmu).
  • SoftMac and PCE can be run via WineSkin on OS X, but don't really contribute anything new.
  • FUSION can be run in DOSBox on OS X, but again, doesn't contribute anything new.
Finally, there's QEmu. There's a qemu-system-68k fork that reportedly emulates a Quadra, but no word yet on whether the fork will run Mac OS or just Linux. qemu-system-ppc currently emulates a G3 Beige Mac and can run OS X 10.1 through 10.4 (no Classic). Work has been in progress to make it support Mac OS 9.2, and by extension the Classic environment (and OS X Public Beta and OS X 10.0 by further extension), and work is also ongoing to emulate iMac G3 (Mac99) hardware.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

adespoton wrote:xecutor: SIMULATES Mac OS 7.5.3 on a Mac II.
More like System 6.0.7, and maybe System 7 on a good day.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

So summary:
Only no OpenGL at all, or maybe with QEMU or PearPC.. If im right.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

PearPC doesn't supports classic and OpenGL and isn't developed anymore.
Qemu actively developed and is the way to go, but also doesn't support OpenGL. As only a few people develop PPC Mac OS support OpenGL might take some time to arrive, if ever.

Best,
Cat_7
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

As only a few people develop PPC Mac OS support OpenGL might take some time to arrive, if ever.
It really depends how GPU is in QEMU realized, if it some sort of pass through to physical GPU and OpenGL would working
in more mainstream OS, it should work for Mac too, because it would not be platform dependent.
vasi
Tinkerer

Post by vasi »

For many older games that had Windows versions, you'll have more luck emulating that than the Mac version. CrossOver/WineSkin/Cider generally do a very good job of this.