PearPC mouse going crazy

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

jakelarsen
Space Cadet

PearPC mouse going crazy

Post by jakelarsen »

I got PearPC successfully running on my windows 7 x64 host, but I do have a problem trying to run it within Virtualbox.

Before anyone says "Don't run it in Virtualbox" - I'm trying to do it this way so I have all of my machines on one list instead of having to jump back and forth between emulators/virtualizers.
I know it isn't the end of the world but I still want to have it within the virtualbox machine if it's possible.

My virtual machine is a Windows XP 32-bit SP2 Professional with 2gb RAM
In this machine, PearPC launches fine (os x 10.2), but the mouse does not work. It does move a little, but when I tip my mouse in any direction just a tiny bit, the pointer moves all over the screen. Sometimes it won't move at all. It takes me a few minutes just to click on a button sometimes.
The mouse works perfectly normal on my host machine without Virtualbox.

Is there a setting I can change so the mouse works normally like it does on my host? I tried changing the redraw interval up and down, changing resolution, even changing the mouse grab hotkey.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: PearPC mouse going crazy

Post by adespoton »

Why not just run the host version of PearPC, or run the Windows PearPC under wine? There's no reason your list has to be in a VirtualBox window.

I've got Mac OS 0.85 through Sierra running from a single list in a Finder window -- although I have to admit, I switched from PearPC to Qemu recently as my host is fast enough to not make much of a difference, and Qemu has better support.

Now that that's out of the way :D

Are you using guest additions? Which mouse emulation are you using in VirtualBox? Have you tried using a different guest OS?

I don't think your problem is with PearPC settings; I think it's with the VirtualBox settings not being very compatible with PearPC.
jakelarsen
Space Cadet

Post by jakelarsen »

adespoton wrote:Why not just run the host version of PearPC, or run the Windows PearPC under wine?
What exactly is a host version of PearPC?
As far as I know, Wine is for Linux and I'm running win7 host, win XP host on VBox, and trying to get mac 10.2, so no wine would be needed...?
adespoton wrote:There's no reason your list has to be in a VirtualBox window.
I know, I could revert to moving all my machines to desktop icons since I've got a second monitor with no icons on it.
I really like the Virtualbox list with all of my machines though and it'll be a pain to have most of my machines in virtualbox and then a few others lying around on other emulators.
adespoton wrote:I've got Mac OS 0.85 through Sierra running from a single list in a Finder window -- although I have to admit, I switched from PearPC to Qemu recently as my host is fast enough to not make much of a difference, and Qemu has better support.
I downloaded QEMU and I got Ubuntu running on an x86-64 .exe, but I can't get the PPC or PPC 64 to start up. It needs a lot of commands in command prompt and I'm not very good at that. Are there any good tutorials on PPC for QEMU? I couldn't find any.
I really would switch to QEMU in a heartbeat if I could get it to work, considering it can run mac 9 up to 10.5, including 10.0 and the beta's which Pearpc can't do.
adespoton wrote:Are you using guest additions? Which mouse emulation are you using in VirtualBox? Have you tried using a different guest OS?
Yes, it has guest additions.
I tried windows 7 guest on windows 7 host and the pearpc mouse within win7 guest didn't work either.
What is the mouse emulation? Is there a way for me to change that somewhere? That seems like it could be my problem.
adespoton wrote:I don't think your problem is with PearPC settings; I think it's with the VirtualBox settings not being very compatible with PearPC.
here are some of the main Virtualbox settings:
Paravirtualization interface: Default (should I change that to Legacy, Minimal, Hyper-V, or KVM?)
I/O APIC is disabled
PAE/NX is disabled
VT-x/AMD-V is enabled
USB controller is enabled, it's 1.1 (should that be changed to 2.0/3.0?)
I'm assuming XP SP2 Pro is fine, but I'm okay with using any other windows (or any OS for that matter) to get this working. All I know is that Virtualbox can't directly handle PPC, so I'm using the VBOX machine as a gateway to the real PPC emulated machine.

Sorry if that is too much information. Thanks for your help!
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Are there any good tutorials on PPC for QEMU? I couldn't find any.
You can take a look at our guide ;-)
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... or-windows

Best,
Cat_7
jakelarsen
Space Cadet

Post by jakelarsen »

Cat_7 wrote:
Are there any good tutorials on PPC for QEMU? I couldn't find any.
You can take a look at our guide ;-)
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/ppc ... or-windows

Best,
Cat_7
Thanks, when I have time I'll try to do it!
BitGid
Space Cadet

Post by BitGid »

Hi all!
I have similar problem
When I run PearPC within that virtual machine, it boots up fine. However, the mouse pointer is super crazy and goes all over the screen whenever I slightly move my mouse. It takes over a minute to click on a single button.
Is there a setting I can change on my VM to make the mouse work within the PearPC emulator on my VM?
Cheers.