PearPC - Unofficial Guide

[ARCHIVED] About PearPC, a mostly obsolete PPC Mac emulator for Windows and Linux to run MacOS X 10.1 up to 10.4. Using QEMU is now recommended.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Kyle

Post by Kyle »

Nevermind, I fixed the problem.
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

For those of you who were successful and able to get to the OS X to come after partitioning, how long did it take for you to partition? It says on the PearPC site to turn of your monitor since it'll take a long time, but approximately how long is it?
PGHammer

How Long to install?

Post by PGHammer »

In my case, two and a half hours (6 GB partition, XP Pro/SP1 host; OS X 10.3 guest). Non-default screen resolution and redraw rate (1024x768x32bpp, redraw rate of 40 ms), but standard memory size.
valthewu

mouse problem II

Post by valthewu »

Stephen Coates wrote:
ataxy wrote:ok i got to borrow a cd of osx from a school mate but here is my new problem it boots and everything except i have one problem each time i do f12 to enable the mouse the installation freezes if i click f12 again to disable the mouse it continues so the problem is that ounce i get to the point where i have to select witch language i want to do the installation i cant select anything cuz as soon as i do f12 it freeze again
i dont know if it may help but i am using a logitech usb mouse
Could you enable the mouse, while you OSX CD is booting and NOT disable it again, or is it the PearPC programme that is crashing, not the MacOSX installer?
same OS, same mouse, same problem. changed the refreshrate, nothing better. it seems, theat when f12 is enabled, the framerate breaks down to zero, and no mouse aiming is possible. but until the first installation steps, it seems to work fine and quite fast!

maybe someone knows the reason?
thanks
prisbischil@hotmail.com

Post by guest »

>>sanderg14 wrote:
>Failure : DiskArbstart()-> 1102

>it's before the graphical setup

>what does it mean ?

>I got this error too. In order to get rid of that message, just make sure >you have this line in your config:

>prom_env_bootargs = ""

>and NOT this one: prom_env_bootargs = "-v"

>It worked for me..

I think he meant that prom_env_machargs="-v" should be commented out.
Zack H

Post by Zack H »

Kyle, how did u fix the .example part ? I cant seem to get passed this part
Phanbot

Post by Phanbot »

So has anyone tested which platform is more responsive running PearPC, Linux or Windows? I have a Athlon64 running Gentoo 64-bit linux but due to a boo-boo I made I need to do a re-install. I am currently attempting to install OSX on my P4 2.8GHz system, I'm waiting for the Mac OS X installer to find my 6 gig partition.
Selyr Black
Space Cadet

Error

Post by Selyr Black »

Ran PearPC with this config file

Code: Select all

#PearPC Configuration File

ppc_start_resolution=4
redraw_interval_msec=200
prom_driver_graphic = "video.x"
cpu_pvr=0x00088302
memory_size=0x10000000
prom_bootmethod="auto"
#prom_env_machargs="-v"
prom_env_bootargs=""
pci_ide0_master_installed=1
pci_ide0_master_image="disks/macosx_6gb.img"
pci_ide0_master_type="hd"
pci_ide0_slave_installed=1
pci_ide0_slave_image="disks/install1.img"
pci_ide0_slave_type="cdrom"
#pci_3c90x_installed=0
#pci_3c90x_mac="de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"
pci_usb_installed=1
nvram_file="nvram"
and got the (\) symbol. It sat for a min at the grey screen like it frooze, then it stared to boot the graphical installer...

Has this happened to anyone else?
bradg440
Space Cadet

all the problems

Post by bradg440 »

guys, i had all the problems everyone had combined, and i put what everybody said together... and came up with this (and it worked for me)
# PearPC Configuration File

#
# Resolution
#
# 0: 640x480x8 (indexed)
# 1: 640x480x15
# 2: 640x480x32
# 3: 800x600x8 (indexed)
# 4: 800x600x15
# 5: 800x600x32
# 6: 1024x768x8 (indexed)
# 7: 1024x768x15
# 8: 1024x768x32
#
# The indexed modes are unsupported.
#
# default: 4
ppc_start_resolution = 4

#
# Redraw interval (in ms)
# must be between 1 and 999
#
# If you set this higher, PearPC will spend less time doing redraws (and so run faster)
# but feel less responsive. You should adjust this to your computer speed and personal
# preference.
#
redraw_interval_msec = 100
#
# Loader
#

#
# Boot method
# this can be
# 1. "auto", prom will boot the first bootable partition found (default)
# 2. "select", prom will show you a list of bootable partitions
# 3. "force", prom will load and boot the local file prom_loadfile
#
prom_bootmethod = "auto"

# Example of how to use "force":
#prom_bootmethod = "force"
#prom_loadfile = "test/yaboot"
#prom_env_bootpath = "disk"

#
# bootargs: don't change unless you know what you are doing
# machargs: set to "-v" to get a verbose startup
#

#prom_env_bootargs = ""
prom_env_machargs = ""

#
# This is needed if you want to boot Mac OS X
#

prom_driver_graphic = "C:\pearpc\video.x"

# This will adjust the position of the initial page table (don't change)
#page_table_pa = 104857600

#
# CPU Config
#
# Processor Version Register
# Defaults to 0x00088302
# Only change if you know want you are doing
#
#cpu_pvr = 0x00088302

#
# Main memory (default 128 MiB)
# must be >= 64 MiB
#
#memory_size=0x8000000

#
# IO Devices
#

#
# PCI IDE Config
#
# Drive type will be set according to file extension:
# .img: Harddisk (filesize must be multiple of 516096)
# .iso: CD-Rom
# Or you can override this by specifying the type via
# pci_ide0_master_type / pci_ide0_slave_type

pci_ide0_master_installed = 1
pci_ide0_master_image = "pearpc-6gib.img"
#pci_ide0_master_type = "hd"

pci_ide0_slave_installed = 1
pci_ide0_slave_image = "macosx_1.iso"
#pci_ide0_slave_image = "darwin-701.iso"
#pci_ide0_slave_image = "/dev/cdrom"
pci_ide0_slave_type = "cdrom"

#
# Network (unavailable on windows)
#
#pci_3c90x_installed = 0
#pci_3c90x_mac = "de:ad:ca:fe:12:34"

#
# USB
#
pci_usb_installed = 1

#
# NVRAM
#
nvram_file = "nvram"

I used this on an OS 10.3 with a preformatted OS 10.2 preformatted 6gb image, and id also highly recomend, just for the duration that you install, change redraw_interval_msec = 100 to redraw_interval_msec = 999
it will cut your wasted time in half (plus you can change it back later)
i hope this helps
bradg440
Space Cadet

as it turns out

Post by bradg440 »

as it turns out, i have yet another problem (please help)
i install the first disc normally (approx 4 hours) but when i start it up again, either it tries to reinstall (if i dont change the config file)
it exits right away if i start with disc 2
and if i turn off the cd drive, it says insert disc 2 after it does what looks like starting up
if i click change start up disc, it shows the one i installed, but when i click restart, the problem above happens, id also like to ad that when it finishes installing disc 1, it closes immediatley please reply/help ASAP
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

as it turns out, i have yet another problem (please help)
i install the first disc normally (approx 4 hours) but when i start it up again, either it tries to reinstall (if i dont change the config file)
it exits right away if i start with disc 2
and if i turn off the cd drive, it says insert disc 2 after it does what looks like starting up
if i click change start up disc, it shows the one i installed, but when i click restart, the problem above happens, id also like to ad that when it finishes installing disc 1, it closes immediatley please reply/help ASAP
1. It's normal X tries to reinstall if you leave the config unchanged, it boots from the installation cd again. You should change the config in this way:
prom_bootmethod = "select" so you have something to choose from when starting (choose the option with "disk" in it to boot from)
2. If you selected software that is on the second or third CD when installing, it is normal OSX comes back in installer asking for cd 2. You can stop the installer from the menu, OSX should then boot on into the finder. Installing extra software can always be done from cd 2 or 3 or by starting Installer
3. You should not use "startup disk" inside OSX
4. It is also normal PPC quits right after installing the first disk.

After installation of cd 1 you should always boot from the hd you created and make some cd iso slave disk so you can access it from within PPC.

Hope this helps

Cat_7
nickbowick
Space Cadet

somewhat unrelated

Post by nickbowick »

i've been working day and night on both the PearPC tring to get it to boot with anything so far linux looks promising but the main problem i'm having is my imac isn't booting none of my MacOS cd's work don't know if there too scratched or what i seen someone saying that they have MacOS9 and i was wanting to know if there was a way i could get a copy or download the iso image i bought it from a pawn shop and thought i would reinstall the OS but after the formatting of the HDD i find out my cd's don't work so could anyone help please
Space Cadet

Post by 67781530 »

willhart
Apple Corer

Re: somewhat unrelated

Post by willhart »

nickbowick wrote:i've been working day and night on both the PearPC tring to get it to boot with anything so far linux looks promising but the main problem i'm having is my imac isn't booting none of my MacOS cd's work don't know if there too scratched or what i seen someone saying that they have MacOS9 and i was wanting to know if there was a way i could get a copy or download the iso image i bought it from a pawn shop and thought i would reinstall the OS but after the formatting of the HDD i find out my cd's don't work so could anyone help please
go fill your computer with spyware and viruses from kazaa you pirate.