How to clone HDD with Linux parition to SSD on G5 Mac?

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ruthan
Tinkerer

How to clone HDD with Linux parition to SSD on G5 Mac?

Post by ruthan »

Hello,
i really struggling with cloning HDD to SSD in PowerG5. After i found compatible SSD, its easy to copy Mac partition to new disk.. but i have nice installed PowerPC Linux on second partition and im not able to copy it.

It seems that Disk Utility, Super Duper or Carbon Copy only care about main partition but not about other not MacOS ones.. Or i dont know how to do it and clone really whole disk.

Other complication would be that original HDD is 160 and target is only 120 GB.. i reality only ~30 GB of data is used space and rest is really freescape, but some clonning tools can have problem with that.

If there is some PC -HDD cloning tool, but is supporting Apple Partition scheme, let me know i dont mind use PC instead of old Mac for it.
galgot
Granny Smith

Re: How to clone HDD with Linux parition to SSD on G5 Mac?

Post by galgot »

The only way I could do it was using dd. As it copies the disk block by block.
Disk Utility, Super Duper or Carbon Copy or just Mac OS by default can't read Ext4 .
Check here :
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cl ... t-26330585
ruthan
Tinkerer

Re: How to clone HDD with Linux parition to SSD on G5 Mac?

Post by ruthan »

Hmm, i searched something better, i managed get it working.. But block copy mode seems to be bugged to.. i wasnt able to boot, because some inconsistend block.. i copied it with Lubuntu 16.04.. and i wasnt able to fix it with any fsck and other utils.. So i have to make copy on files basic with cp..