Replacing the forum software?

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Jorpho
Master Emulator

Replacing the forum software?

Post by Jorpho »

By all accounts phpBB is apparently riddled with security vulnerabilities. This might be the last phpBB board I visit semi-regularly.

Have there been any thoughts on switching to something else?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Replacing the forum software?

Post by adespoton »

We've had discussions over the years; this one's been somewhat modified from vanilla phpBB, but could still have some potential vulnerabilities. It doesn't appear to have been hit yet though, and doesn't really store PII that could come back to bite you should it be breached.

The issue is keeping it so that older browsers can still access the site.
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I don't know. I really like how the forum is. We've had our trademark look here for 18 years now.
Last edited by ClockWise on Wed May 27, 2020 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

adespoton wrote:this one's been somewhat modified from vanilla phpBB
Well, it is a little more than somewhat modified. Nine years ago it became imperative that we upgraded from phpBB2 to phpBB3. But we did not want to loose our custom style. Having some experience with web editing, I offered to get the style into phpBB3. That proved to be a hell of a job. The original style on which the custom style was based was not available anymore for phpBB3. The only way was by editing files from a similar style manually: template files, css files, image files, even some custom scripts. It took me weeks or maybe months, I don't remember. In the end I dreamed of code in my sleep.

It is not something I will do again. We are very much attached to our custom style, but if we have to move to a new phpBB version or to different forum software I may limit myself to making only a few adjustments to an existing style, like with colors or images.

See: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... f=3&t=7319
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Wow. I can't believe that the upgrade was nine years ago. We've been using phpbb 3 as long as we used phpbb 2.

Time flies.