Re: Can't see or start games/applications...

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

drzeissler
Space Cadet

Post by drzeissler »

(Moderator edit: This thread was moved from this topic: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 0&start=25 )

That is an interesting conversion.

Have you ever heard that it is possible to get the 32Bit-quickdraw-routines in the roms for the LC
in oder to get it compatible to old software, especially to the old Sierra AGI Adventures and to
the OLD B/W games for the early compact-macs ?

Thx
Doc
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Moved thread
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

drzeissler wrote:That is an interesting conversion.

Have you ever heard that it is possible to get the 32Bit-quickdraw-routines in the roms for the LC
in oder to get it compatible to old software, especially to the old Sierra AGI Adventures and to
the OLD B/W games for the early compact-macs ?

Thx
Doc
To answer the first... it might be useful to piggyback on mode32 INIT.

To answer part of the second bit... Sierra AGI games can be run via ScummVM. I believe that includes the Mac versions.

That said, I used to play KQII on a Mac Plus back in the day. That game's SCI, not AGI, but still -- it worked. Worked fine on my Colour Classic running 7.6.1 too, so I don't think there's an issue there regarding 32-bit Quickdraw.
drzeissler
Space Cadet

Running games on classic Macs

Post by drzeissler »

Thank you, I don't quite understand technically what you said and the question before was a bit wrong/misleading.
(Moderator edit: These posts were moved from this topic: https://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewt ... 0&start=25 )

I do not like those AIO classic macs. I only use machines with tft, but I want to play some old B&W Macgames as well, so I decided to go for a Macintosh LC. The Macintosh II and the slightly later clones that still had no 32bit quickdraw-routines in ROM would be perfect too, but too expensisive for me and they need too much space on desk.

The LC has in fact 32Bit-Quickdraw routines in ROM and therefore lacks the same compatibility issues with the early AGI games and perhaps lot's of other B&W titles as well. In short, I am not able to play any AGI game in B&W on my LC. They are all broken. Lot's of other B&W titles too, like defender of the crown, etc. But there are some titles that do work like some racing games. I made a short video of my machine (sorry for the bad filming-equipment) https://youtu.be/YicfqCx5m-k

I have chosen the LC because it can run System6. The later ones do only work with System7 and above. There are some games that do not work with System7 anymore. You talked about POP2 above. If I start this on my LC it tells me that it needs 32Bit Qucikdraw installed. I found a very early version of the quicktime extension and if I restart the LC it is loaded and it worked for me with POP2. Some other titles do report an error for not having System-Software 6.08 and above installed, but it is installed, I don't have figured out why I get such error-message.

Going back to the main focus. I want to play those old AGI titles on my LC. Playing them on ScummVM is not an option for me, I want to play them on the original machine. If possible in B&W and in color (16).

Current status on AGI
- regardless what agi-version of the game, B&W has false resolution on my 640x480 (512x384 not centered) and/or glitches on display or gui of the game.
- larry1 agi-version 2.06 works fine in 16colors (as you can see in the video above)
- I can't find that latest patches for AGI in oder to get the other AGI-games like SQ/KQ etc. to Version 2.06 that is compatible with my LC.

You mentioned the loading-routines on ROM/Extensions etc. and you also wrote abou 24bit vs. 32bit. As far as I understood that, I should not search for an option to check out if I get roms for my LC that include the old 24bit quickdraw-routines. beside that I can perhaps place an extension that get's me compatibilty to the older software?

What is the difference between the early quicktime-extension and the 32bit-quickdraw extension that I currently don't have for System6 and where I am currently looking for?

thx and greetings Doc
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Moved thread