MacAction Magazine

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ThomasvanW
Space Cadet

MacAction Magazine

Post by ThomasvanW »

For a long time I have been looking for editions of MacAction magazine.

My dad was a Mac enthousiast in the beginning and mid-90ies, so he came home one day with an issue of Macaction.

I was wondering of other people also can remember this magazine and maybe (hopefully) know a place were someone is selling them or can put them op digitally. On Macintosh Garden there are several discs for download but I want to re-read the issues for nostalgic purposes.

Macformat or Macworld (era 1990-1998) is also welcome.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: MacAction Magazine

Post by adespoton »

I've never heard of MacAction -- the closest I've found was https://issuu.com/ftmp/docs/june_2009 referring to a 2009-201x online publication for South African Mac users.

Did you mean MacAddict? If so, the entire archive has been digitized and put up on archive.org, right from the original 1996 issue through when they became Mac|Life in 2007.
ThomasvanW
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasvanW »

Thanks for the reply.

MacAction was pretty short-lived I guess. Digging into Google I couldn't even find the issues I had with A-10 Attack on the cover.

https://macintoshgarden.org/games/mac-a ... over-discs

http://www.cix.co.uk/~macaction/

This is the last update on the Magazine, after that it went defunct. Anyway. It would be nice reading those issues again.
mossy_11
Inquisitive Elf

Post by mossy_11 »

From what I can gather it was both short-lived and sorely-limited in its distribution. I found out about it around 18 months ago and have yet to find a copy.

When I finish writing my current book (which will be soon), I plan to ramp up my efforts — both using my public reach (it's much easier to research obscure Mac history post-The Secret History of Mac Gaming than it was pre-) and chasing down people who worked on the magazine. In the process, I'll also find out what I can about what happened behind the scenes.
Author of The Secret History of Mac Gaming — available via http://secrethistoryofmacgaming.com/ — and Shareware Heroes: The renegades who redefined gaming at the dawn of the Internet — available via https://sharewareheroes.com/
ThomasvanW
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasvanW »

That is true. As far back as I can remember there were like 3-4 copies distributed. The thing is, it was well written.

Not only reviews about games, but hardware in general was reviewed. And then there was the 'magic' cover disc. It was the pre-internet era. For me though. We had a 56-k modem, so it was amazing that is was packed full of extra levels for Dark Forces.

If it wasn't for MacAction I wouldn't have been exposed to allot of fantastic games and other different programs.

As for your book. Please keep us updated. I will buy a copy as soon as it comes out! Amazing!
kanongil
Space Cadet

Post by kanongil »

I just found a stack of MacAction magazines in a box in the cellar, purchased back in 95 - 96. Seems to be a mostly complete run 1 - 10, only missing issue 2 & 8.

I would like to get rid of them, but given the rarity I expect some kind of archival would be appropriate?
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

kanongil wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 7:13 pm I just found a stack of MacAction magazines in a box in the cellar, purchased back in 95 - 96. Seems to be a mostly complete run 1 - 10, only missing issue 2 & 8.

I would like to get rid of them, but given the rarity I expect some kind of archival would be appropriate?
Please! If you are unable to scan them yourselves, someone like Bob Kiwi would be happy to do so I'd bet.

Do you have the CDs too, or just the magazines?
kanongil
Space Cadet

Post by kanongil »

I will try to look into options for scanning them. Personally I don't mind if the magazines are destroyed in the process – it's only the content that matters.

I don't think I have the CD's, though they might still be around in another box or something. I found my old subscriber number, so it's possible the missing issues are somewhere as well. I probably won't have time to properly dig through it anytime soon, though.

FYI, there was also a separate floppy version of the magazine, with its own cover variant.
ThomasvanW
Space Cadet

Post by ThomasvanW »

Sorry for the late replay.

Amazing you found them!
I’d like to buy them if that’s possible. Do you have pictures?

Again amazing!