Newsstand – A New Google News RSS Reader for Mac OS 9

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

copland
Space Cadet

Newsstand – A New Google News RSS Reader for Mac OS 9

Post by copland »

Hi all,

I'm really excited to announce a new application I built for Mac OS 9. Newsstand is a native Mac OS classic application that allows you to read Google News across more than 200 curated topics and 24 countries. And it works great on SheepShaver.

I created Newsstand because I wanted to get more use out of my PowerBook G3 computers (Wallstreet and Pismo) while using a native app. Newsstand has been a personal project over the last few weeks and a really fun challenge. I'm ready to release it to all of you, and I'm eager to hear your feedback.

To learn more and try out Newsstand, visit: http://www.getnewsstand.com/

Thanks,
Alex
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: Newsstand – A New Google News RSS Reader for Mac OS 9

Post by adespoton »

copland wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:25 pm Hi all,

I'm really excited to announce a new application I built for Mac OS 9. Newsstand is a native Mac OS classic application that allows you to read Google News across more than 200 curated topics and 24 countries. And it works great on SheepShaver.

I created Newsstand because I wanted to get more use out of my PowerBook G3 computers (Wallstreet and Pismo) while using a native app. Newsstand has been a personal project over the last few weeks and a really fun challenge. I'm ready to release it to all of you, and I'm eager to hear your feedback.

To learn more and try out Newsstand, visit: http://www.getnewsstand.com/

Thanks,
Alex
Great to see that ready for the public Alex! How did you navigate the TLS situation?
copland
Space Cadet

Post by copland »

adespoton wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 pm Great to see that ready for the public Alex! How did you navigate the TLS situation?
Thank you! I'm processing a lot of content on my web server, which isn't using TLS, and then delivering the content to Newsstand as an XML feed through a TCP/IP socket connection. Since I've never written an app before, these were definitely heavy lifts for me. I'm really happy with how it came out though.
copland
Space Cadet

Post by copland »

Hi all,

I was blown away by the response of Newsstand over the past few days. I posted it here and a few other Apple forums, and it got picked up by John Gruber at Daring Fireball, large Twitter accounts and iMore. Thanks for all of your support and extremely positive feedback over the days. It completely exceeded my expectations.

I just released Newsstand 1.1, which brings the number one requested feature to the application: Add your favorite RSS feeds! In the left-hand sidebar, you'll see a section labeled "RSS Feeds". I populated it with a few of my favorite Apple news sources. To customize and add your own feeds, go to Preferences in the Edit menu.

Visit http://www.getnewsstand.com to get the newest version.

Thanks again for the feedback over the days. I'll be working on the second most requested feature next: support for 10.2 - 10.6, which will include an aqua UI refresh.