Sharing internet connection between Mac and PC

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Marc
Master Emulator

Sharing internet connection between Mac and PC

Post by Marc »

Right, I'm gonna break out the old 7200/90 to play about with again. Problem is, no USB ports on it means I cannot connected to my ISP from the mac, so I wish to share the interent connection between the Mac and a Windows XP box. Can anyone provide the idiots guide? Mac will be running OS 8.6 and seemingly....
Your Macintosh can be connected to a high-speed Ethernet network via an
AAUI Ethernet connector or a high-speed 10BASE-T Ethernet connector. You
can also connect to a LocalTalk network.
and the windows box has a 10/100Mps ethernet.

could anyone provide a quick idiots guide?

EDIT: would I just need some Cat cable and configure the Mac OS like I would sharing the internet connection in Basilisk II? I'm not to hot with networking thingies...

Many thanks
rcwire
Tinkerer

Post by rcwire »

You would need a PC with a Network card, preferrably running Win dows XP to make life simpler. Set up the internet connection on the PC and then setup Home Networking. The PC will act as the gateway to the internet and ratehr neatly will act as a DHCP server for anything connected to it. Do this, make sure you can connect to the internet after rebooting.

Get a short Cat V cable and plug it into the PC LAN port.

Plug the other end into the Mac LAN port (10-Base-T etc) and power up the Mac, if you have the LAN connection icon to show in your systray on the PC it will show Local Area Connection 10Mps.

Go to the Mac Control Panel for TCP/IP and confirm that it is set to Ethernet and DHCP Assigned.

Run Internet Explorer and try some pages...they should load fine.
Powerbook Pismo G3/400 256mb (on order)
Powerbook G3 192mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 128mb (Wallstreet)
Powerbook G3 32mb (Kanga)
Powerbook 280c 12mb (Duo)
PearPC P4 256mb (networking not working)
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Thanks! I shall try that :D
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Here's my setup.....

Internet -> DSL modem -> Wireless router -> {PowerMac 6100/Compaq Presario (AMD Athlon 800)/Compaq Presario (notebook with Intel Centrino)}

Having the router acting between the modem and my 3 computers is great because it can stay powered-on the whole time and any of my 3 computers can access the internet whenever they want.

It sure beats having to turn on your PC to share your internet connection with your Mac or vice versa.

Just make sure your Mac and PC are 10Base-T Ethernet ready. In my case, i had to purchase the AAUi->10Base-T Transceiver in order to get my NuBUS PowerMac 6100 hooked up to the router via standard Ethernet cable (CAT-5).
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Of course, if you don't use a router, you'll need a crossover network cable rather than a standard patch cable to connect two computers together directly.