Free g-mail invites (i have 49 of them)

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

joshlink01
Space Cadet

Free g-mail invites (i have 49 of them)

Post by joshlink01 »

Hello. To get your free g-mail invite all you have to do is click the URL below and complete a offer. it is for a free mac mini so you might be interested anyway. once you do that, PM me or reply and i will send you one.

http://www.macminis4free.com/default.aspx?r=389014

EDIT: I will send you TWO or THREE for completing an offer!
Last edited by joshlink01 on Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacOSX
Tinkerer

Post by MacOSX »

Nice way to get people to complete the offer.... :wink:
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

You can have an invite from many people, including me, without the hassle.

It seems joshlink01's little sceme didn't work on pearpc.net, now why would it work here?

Cat_7
joshlink01
Space Cadet

Post by joshlink01 »

Haha Cat_7 :(
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

I would look into it, if I'd lived in the US :( .
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

Cat_7 wrote:You can have an invite from many people, including me, without the hassle.

It seems joshlink01's little sceme didn't work on pearpc.net, now why would it work here?

Cat_7
At least here, he can't use the dirty big banner ad :evil:

Josh, I'm just curious: what type of 'offers' are these that people must complete for you to get your referral credit? What offer did you do in order to register?
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

It's just bullshit marketing. There are offers for mini macs, iPods, etc. all over the Internet. It's just another marketing scheme to get email addresses for spam.
Once you've made something idiot proof, they go and invent a better idiot!
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

Being rabidly curious, I went to the site (minus the referrer parameter, sorry josh) and they don't say anything about the nature of the offers, but they actually advise you to create a throwaway Hotmail or similar account to sign up with ... y'know, just if you're worried. That's an interesting statement on their own relationship with these 'advertisers'...
joshlink01
Space Cadet

Post by joshlink01 »

The offer I did was from that Tickle IQ thing. And, I signed up abotu 3 weeks ago and I have had not ONE piece of spam yet.
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

joshlink01 wrote:The offer I did was from that Tickle IQ thing. And, I signed up abotu 3 weeks ago and I have had not ONE piece of spam yet.
I'll bet you've not had one mini mac yet either...
joshlink01
Space Cadet

Post by joshlink01 »

Not yet because I still need referrals. That is why I posted my link!
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Do the math - the Mac Mini costs $499, so that means that the company needs to make $45.36 from each of those 11 referrals in profit. This is assuming that each of those 11 referrals is going to purchase or perform some task, which they are not obliged to do.

Searching on the Internet I have found out that those 11 referrals have to provide a valid credit card to complete the referral process (aah, it's all becoming clear now...), and the site itself says that you should search for "OfferCentric proof" to get some examples of satisfied customers. These are obviously all written by the company itself, and the text is exactly the same on different sites sometimes.

Why would the company get you to search for that string? If you search for "macmini4free" you get a different story... there are the same glowing recommendations (same copied and pasted text again), but there are also the sites that describe the truth.

Check this page out if you want some opinions on AccessMedia, which is what the site is actually selling:

http://www.ratetheoffers.com/offer_profile.php/47
joshlink01
Space Cadet

Post by joshlink01 »

I did Tickle:
http://www.ratetheoffers.com/offer_profile.php/75 which has a 88% good rating!
robojam
Forum All-Star

Post by robojam »

Call me a cynic, but those comments just seem too good to be true. They're all too enthusiastic and sound like the work of a marketer who has lots of time to go on the Internet and promote his product by entering these comments on sites like this.

It's up to you what you do, but I don't believe that you'll get that Mac Mini. I'd love to be proved wrong and see you get it, but I really doubt that it's going to happen.
joshlink01
Space Cadet

Post by joshlink01 »

Ok. I guess we'll have to see
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

robojam, I don't know what you did to get 'real' sites by searching for 'macminis4free' - I got up to page 15 of the results and nothing but "Join my conga dudes!"

...oh and a couple of links to (expired) pages from the blog of Kevin Rose (he the former G4 TV guy who promo'd PearPC, long ago? not sure...) that really grabbed me. Just look at what happens when a geek blogger allows comments (from Google cache):

http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:Mi ... scam&hl=en

Whether you call it a Pyramid scheme, Matrix scheme or whatever, the bottom line is that it's unsustainable. It expands quickly, sucking in everyone who:

(a) Wants the free thing
(b) Isn't concerned about who they give their info to
(c) Doesn't mind downloading trojans
(d) Doesn't read privacy policies as carefully as they should
(e) Knows (or can convince) ten people who meet the above criteria.

When all such people in the ecosystem have signed-up, and there's no resources left to feed the marketing machine, it stops paying out, and the people who just signed-up but can't get the referrals, get squat.
Due to the 'pyramidal' structure of the scheme, this can be a colossal number of people (I have heard estimates in the 5-figures).

Look at the forums where people go to join congas - look down to the older threads, you'll see they are locked. Why? Stopped paying out. I saw a free notebooks conga that had died-out particularly quickly - could that be because it required 18 referrals, not 10?
Seriously, do the math, and tell me your conscience doesn't trouble you just a tiny bit.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

From the terms and conditions from macminis4free:

"Sending your referral link to others in an unsolicited or excessive manner (this includes but is not limited to: email, instant messages or chat rooms) or posting your referral link in newsgroups or online forums where not allowed."

I would dare to say to Joshlink01 that by using that signature on pearpc.net you have disqualified yourself to be eligable to receive a "gift" 11 other people have to suffer for too.

Cat_7
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

Havin_it wrote:(he the former G4 TV guy who promo'd PearPC, long ago? not sure...)
Former? Promo'd PearPC?
Havin_it
Mac Mechanic

Post by Havin_it »

Memory is hazy, but I'm sure someone (either here or 'over there') mentioned TechTV/G4TV being where they first heard about PearPC, and the presenter was called Kevin Rose. Some or all of this could be apocryphal.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

These free stuff sites are legal and do work. Obviously some are set up just to scam people, but most are not scams.

visit http://www.exceem.co.uk for more information.