Mac OS x86 Developer Install DVD Leaked

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Borg_Will_Rule
Tinkerer

Mac OS x86 Developer Install DVD Leaked

Post by Borg_Will_Rule »

"We can now confirm that the DVD that was included with the Developer Transition Kits has leaked and has been placed on a major torrent site with the name of "Apple.OS.X.x86.Developer.Kit.Install.DVD-pheNIX." According to sources, the DVD image is in .dmg format and an NFO was included. Of course, we can only assume that this DVD will not immediately be ready to install on x86 machines, as it still incorporates SSE3 and the TPM. More news as it happens..." Source: [url]http://www.osx86.classicbeta.com"[/url]
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

as far as i know it's an hoax. nobody real seems to have found any valid leaked version, and unless you made sure urself it was some real thing, i'll keep thinkin it's an hoax. seems like it's likely that Apple has put some kinda different code in each DVD so they can know who would leak it...
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

Nope, this one is the real deal.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

How do you know? Did you install it? I read that the DRM built into it prevents it from being loaded onto anything other than the system it was shipped with.
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

True, it isn't installable right now, but when you try booting with it it gives you a Darwin error message. A regular Mac OS X disk wouldn't even get that far.

It is the real thing.
Marc
Master Emulator

Post by Marc »

Yeah, I read about this after I read your post. It is an error regarding the Rosetta run-time environment I think. It is the real thing. Pity no one has figured out how to install it...
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

ummm... can't even turn the DMG file to ISO with DMG2ISO, says :

Code: Select all

reading property list...ok
found 5 partitions
decompressing:
partition 0...ok
partition 1...ERROR: Inflation failed
anyways, if it's the real thing, won't nobody write a virtual machine for it?

btw, whats supposed to be the file system for that DVD?
Kakaze
Tinkerer

Post by Kakaze »

Someone "supposedly" got it running in VMWare, but I haven't heard any information how, just seen screenshots.

The file system on the disk is HFS+
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

Kakaze wrote:Someone "supposedly" got it running in VMWare, but I haven't heard any information how, just seen screenshots.

The file system on the disk is HFS+
yeah I tried with UltraISO and it says it's HFS+ too.

I read reports talking about it works if you install Darwin 8.1 first, do some setting up, u can get it to work partially, but then that the Mac OS X GUI is unstable buggy and slow. Glad to know anyways that it wasn't an hoax.
CFran2
Mac Mechanic

Post by CFran2 »

There's a guy wrote an howto guide for installing OS X, Windows and Linux on a PC, and Apple made him take it down. Some websites relayed it, but I saved it from Google's cache, http://www.geocities.com/michel0528/mul ... .htm?20056, just in case anyone finds it usefull.
Neospy
Mac Mechanic

Post by Neospy »

CFran2,

That is pointless... You need the real dev kit box to do it.

>Neospy 8)
grayfox
Tinkerer

Post by grayfox »

Heres some good resources for anyone intrested in doing this.

-----
Guide
-----
http://www.xplodenet.com/

-----
Forum
-----
http://www.concretesurf.co.nz/osx86/index.php
CharredPC
Space Cadet

Post by CharredPC »

A UK friend of mine sent me screenshots and video of it done on his laptop.

He got the iso's from the newsgroup alt.b.comp. He offerred to explain to me how to install it, I turned him down as I have no Pentium SSE2 or 3 machine set up here for the project. He did state this, however: Minumum requirements is p4 sse2, 3 is preferred. He said he had to patch alot to get the straight ISO version working; the vmware version is easiest. "Best to get the vmware img from that group, mount it to a hdd and make it bootable.... you need ddwrite for linux or windows and write a raw img to a fresh hdd."

I'm posting this for the sake of passing on information only, not to encourage anyone to break copyright laws ;)

By the way, he verified that it appears to run twice as fast on his hardware than a true Mac's.

PS: What the heck, I just realized my 2.3Ghz AMD64 is SSE2 supported. Duh! And here I was thinking I had to be Intel P4+ or no go... :roll: