Using an ADSL connection under Mac os 9

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

Using an ADSL connection under Mac os 9

Post by filipetolhuizen »

I'm having trouble using this kind of connection under os 9. I've already configured my ADSL modem in router mode (so it won't need a dialer), but I still can't use the internet (Internet Explorer 5 can't open any website). I've also tried using manual and automatic mode in the TCP/IP configuration (manual entering the addresses shown windows's ipconfig). What could I be doing wrong or missing?
Regards,
Filipe
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I guess this is on your G3? How do you connect to the ADSL router? Have you got a NIC in that machine?

Best,
Cat_7
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

I have had no problem using ADSL in OS 8 and 9 via ethernet.

I just conect the computer to the network, and select ethernet in the TCP/IP control panel, and set it to use the DHCP server.

I have never used a USB modem in OS9 though. These might require an install CD.
filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

Have you got a NIC in that machine?
Sorry, but what would a NIC be? :?
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

network interface card (sometimes called an ethernet card)
filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

Oh yes, it has one. That's how I tried my connection
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

Have you got any indication that the connection between the mac and the router is made correctly? Can you connect to the routers interface from the mac?

If not, are there some lights at the router and the mac that show there is a low level connection? This would be the first thing to check, as it might be your mac supports only 10mbit connections, while the router tries to connect with 100mbit.

Are there any control panels in Mac OS, or an interface on the router that allow you to play with those settings?

Cat_7
kikkoman
Master Emulator

Post by kikkoman »

Before you read any further down below this line, have you tried taking a look at your M.A.C. address and assigning it to your router's IP reservation section? If you have your router acting as a DHCP server, you may need to make sure that the router assigns an IP address to your Macintosh's specific M.A.C address. To see what your Macintosh's M.A.C. address, do the the following:

1) Apple Menu
2) Control Panels
3) TCP/IP
4) "File" menu
5) "Get Info"
6) take a look at the "Hardware Address:" section and copy the information down.

With that information, you should go into your router's configuration section and wherever it lets you assign MAC addresses (normally in the section that talks about "DHCP" stuff), just input the info you copied down. After doing so, the router should start communicating with your Macintosh.

Does your network look something like this?

Or something like this??

In any case, if your Mac just isn't able to detect the router or bonded modem/router, then you'll have to turn of the router portion of your DSL modem (if possible) and just get a stand-alone router that works with Macintosh computers.

If that ends up being the case, then I'd recommend any of the recent Netgear routers as they are designed to work with 10Mbps and 100Mbps connections and have different LED's built into each port to determine the kind of connection established between the router and the computer(s). Green for 100Mbps....... orange for 10Mbps....... "no color" for disabled, damaged, or no computer detected.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

kikkoman wrote:Before you read any further down below this line, have you tried taking a look at your M.A.C. address and assigning it to your router's IP reservation section? If you have your router acting as a DHCP server, you may need to make sure that the router assigns an IP address to your Macintosh's specific M.A.C address. To see what your Macintosh's M.A.C. address, do the the following:
This is not usually needed at all! This is only needed if you wish to configure the router to assign fixed addresses to specific network devices. In a average home-network this is not the usual configuration. The router's DHCP server distributes addresses from a range of addresses to devices it finds, or one can choose in the device to pick a fixed address, usually a address just outside the range that the router distributes by itself.
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

filipetolhuizen, what Macintosh are you using?

All the Macs that I have used with built in ethernet have worked as soon as I plugged it in ad selected ethernet in the TCP/IP control panel.

I don;t know wether the speed is a problem. My router supports both 10mbps and 100mbps and both 100mbps PCs work and 10mbps Macs work at the same time.
filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

I'm using a G3 B&W but without sharing the connection with other computer.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

It should be very simple. Connect Mac to the router with ethernet cable and set control panel "TCP/IP" to "Ethernet" and "DHCP Server". That is all that is needed. Provided, of course, that the modem is correctly configured to act as router with DHCP server.

Can you connect to the web-interface of the router? Enter the router's IP-address (see router manual) in your web-browser's address bar and hit enter.
filipetolhuizen
Tinkerer

Can you connect to the web-interface of the router?
It does work in windows but not in Mac OS. I changed it from router mode to brigde mode to see if it can connect. Let's see what happens