weird

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

javier_garza4
Tinkerer

weird

Post by javier_garza4 »

six months and still no changes? im just going to wait until Knppix linux gets delivered to me and longhorn comes out. Longhorn's coming out in 2005, and my linux is STILL not delivered, after a week of waiting. (weird shipping method).
javier_garza4
Tinkerer

Post by javier_garza4 »

and the second turkey day (day after thursday the 27th) is exacly one year from when i joined.
ihartmacz
Student Driver

Post by ihartmacz »

Actually it might be 2006 now, but dont get your hopes up, Panthis will still be way better
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Longhorn is an evil, evil thing. I discourage everyone here from using it. As a programmer and as a citizen, it's a terrible OS with some buzzwords designed to woo the weak of mind.
javier_garza4
Tinkerer

Post by javier_garza4 »

just to see how it is, anyway, dumb linux still not here, if not here in the next three days, idont know what to do. (maybe i should sue the shipping company, or the shop i bought it from)oh well.
javier_garza4
Tinkerer

Post by javier_garza4 »

BTW the linux i bought is called knoppix and it runs directly from a cd and has up to 2 b storage on the cd u can use as a hard drive. if u want to use windows just eject the cd and everything goes back to normal. Cool huh?
ihartmacz
Student Driver

Post by ihartmacz »

There are tons of fucking live-cds (Disrtobutions that run from CDs)
goto distrowatch.com! Yull find out alot.

Linux is better than Windows, have a perminatnt distrobution, And if you have to, have a dual-boot w/ Windows. I highly reccoment College linux and RadHat linux, the newest RedHat is Fedora, I am yet to try it but I hear it is awesome. Windows Longhorn will fuck your computer in the ass. Linux wont even try cuz linux is cool... Linux is the closest thing yull get to running OS X on a PC.

Guese what?! GNOME and KDE both have Mac OS X skins that are so accurat you will piss your pants.

You bought Knoppix, Linux is freely D/L-able.......
javier_garza4
Tinkerer

Post by javier_garza4 »

dude, i cant download that much, my internet is is dialup and im not going to waste another 3 days downloading, i downloaded redhat, but i dont have partition magic, and it wont boot anyway. knoppix DID boot. i didnt waste 6 of my own cds on it, or money on partition magic.
ihartmacz
Student Driver

Post by ihartmacz »

That explains it... Sometimes dialup ends up costing you in the long run.

RedHat, now fedora, is a very nice distro.
javier_garza4
Tinkerer

Post by javier_garza4 »

actually my friend also triedit on road runner, and thats the one i tried to use, after that didnt work, i didnt bother to finish my download
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

I personally am a fan of Gentoo.

Live distros are cool, except, they don't offer the level of customizability and optimization other distros (*cough*Gentoo) offer.

Fedora is also nifty...but, I like Gentoo's emerge system (and I never will go back to RPMs and whatnot...too hard to maintain!), so Gentoo wins in the long run.
ihartmacz
Student Driver

Post by ihartmacz »

What's emerge?

I've heard of Gentoo, how long does it take to compile and install? I've heard a VERY long time
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Took me roughly 10 hours with an Athlon 2600, which isn't too bad...some people take almost 3 times that, depending on how much they build, how fast their machine is, etc.
Thyth

Post by Thyth »

Doing a stage 1 Gentoo installation is something every Linux user should do at least once. I've done it twice, and although it does take a while to install it and compile it the portage system for keeping the system up to date is still the best.

I still use live CDs, but these are ones I've created myself. Since I have no need for compiling an optimized kernel for the various machines I'd use it on. Or the capability to install and uninstall packages on the fly, I used Slackware, and a set of scripts which automate cleaning unused files, compressing everything, creating cramfs and then outputting an ISO.
phirkel
Apple Corer

Post by phirkel »

Yeah. I'm actually working on a GTK version of Parted (shhh, hasn't been announced officially yet...but someday soon, we will have a free equivalent to Partition Magic that can edit ReiserFS partitions!), and I've been whittling down a basic live CD for boot-time editing.

It's pretty cool, actually, a lot of the junk one can do with Linux that a Windows user can't even fathom (though, I did just install Windows 2000 onto a Zip750 and booted it...go figure).