favourite linux distro

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

mike

favourite linux distro

Post by mike »

hey im gonna do a fresh install and gonna put linux on my box. im not a complete n00b to linux, but i want an automated install. (gentoo wouldnt work when i configured x and it was a pain in the ass to install). so anyway what do u guys recomend as a distro with a gui install?

thanks,
mike
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

I think SlackWare is super-duper. I installed all of the dev packages that my two CDs had (a lot of them), and SheepShaver compiled and ran perfectly.

If you want to run SheepShaver, avoid RedHat. A lot of reports here and on the Delphi forums have not been all that good.

Gwenole B. is on the Mandrake payroll, so that one might also be a good pick if you want to run SheepShaver.

If SheepShave is any concern to you at all, incidentally, you might do well to post in the folder for that program.

(also, if you register for the forum, that would be cool)
Mac Emu
Forum All-Star

Post by Mac Emu »

Victor Padra from Venezuela ported Red Hat's Anaconda GUI installer on top of Gentoo 2004.0: http://gentoo.vidalinux.com/?q=node/view/35

I've already burnt it, but haven't tried it out yet.

Post by Guest »

kinda offtopic.. can u run sheepshaver on SUSE or Mandrake?
ClockWise
Site Admin

Post by ClockWise »

Yeah. A couple of threads have reported success running SheepShaver in both SUSE and Mandrake.

And as has been said a bunch of time, Gwenole B. is employed by MandrakeSoft, so...

yeah.
The Balance Of Judgement
Apple Corer

Post by The Balance Of Judgement »

For ease of use, Fedora and Suse are great. But Suse needs to install via ftp unless you buy the CD's which is a pain.
Summers
Student Driver

Post by Summers »

My fav is Debian with its apt-get, but I haven't tried Slackware, SuSE and Gentoo. KNOPPIX has the best hardware autoconfig There's also a funny Core distro - only kernel and basic apps.
I haven't heard any opinions about new Fedora Core 2, is it worth?
The worst is Mandrake anyways :) .
grayfox
Tinkerer

Post by grayfox »

my fav is mandrake 9.2 hands down
prasys
Forum All-Star

Post by prasys »

Lindows is great , Love it...I have used Knoppix , Red Hat , and Currently I have installed Red Hat on my PC...Its runs like a charm
Stephen Coates
Expert User

Post by Stephen Coates »

WinLinux 2003 is great!
You can donwload a 300mb .exe file, it all extracts and installs on windows, then you can run a configuration utility and configure linux under windows, then double click an icon on the desktop and the computer will reboot into linux. You even create the user accounts under windows.
Unfortunatly it doesn't work with windows xp and the download version doesn't have stuff like OpenOffice.org, and all the development packages, but apart from that, its really good. (You can buy a CD version which comes with OpenOffice.org, development, etc.)

Go to www.winlinux.net
Avalant
Space Cadet

Post by Avalant »

Mandrake 9.2 or 10 are great choices for ease of installation. (10 has a newer kernel, but the ISOs aren't free yet.) I liked Fedora Core 1, and I'm hoping FC2 for AMD64 is good as well.

Post by Guest »

for pure speed.....i use Arch Linux....nothing else will do (except Gentoo)

Post by Guest »

I use Gentoo Linux.

"emerge" rulez. ;-)
lord_muad_dib
Student Driver

Post by lord_muad_dib »

gentoo all the way

and i run it within colinux too
PPC_Digger
Forum All-Star

Post by PPC_Digger »

I run Fedora Core 2 &3 and it works great. I tried Mandrake 10.1 for a few days, but I didnt like it - Returned to Fedora.
tuxman
Space Cadet

Post by tuxman »

By my thoughts is Suse a good Linux distribution.
DittoBox
Tinkerer

Post by DittoBox »

Gentoo linux, stage 1 installs only please.