Who would know about Gobe Productive?

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Jorpho
Master Emulator

Who would know about Gobe Productive?

Post by Jorpho »

I was waxing nostalgic about Clarisworks again today. I became very proficient with that program during my high school years; it ran like arse on the Mac Classic, but was pretty decent when the school switched to the LC 475. Of course, after high school I pretty much never saw it again.

Wikipedia will tell you that Clarisworks' direct descendant is Gobe Productive, which was exclusive to BeOS before a Windows version was released in 2001. Since then it's pretty much disappeared down the rabbit hole. I guess I could try to pull it down from some torrent or another, though it might very well be incompatible with modern Windows. Of course, the Haiku team (working as they are on the next generation of BeOS) has some interest.

I don't suppose anyone here ever used Gobe Productive? Was it really anything like Clarisworks in the end?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Who would know about Gobe Productive?

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

I used ClarisWorks, which was renamed AppleWorks (in 1998?), up to AppleWorks 6.2.9 which ran as OSX Carbon application on PPC.

Edit: This article (link below) mentions Gobe Productive written for BeOS, but nothing about a Windows release.

http://groups.csail.mit.edu/mac/users/b ... sworks.php

Edit 2: This article is about Gobe Productive for Windows:

http://archive.arstechnica.com/reviews/ ... obe-1.html
Last edited by Ronald P. Regensburg on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason:  
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

I remember when Gobe Productive was being written -- it was intended to be a "better ClarisWorks".

As for direct descendent, the family tree of ClarisWorks goes something like this:
ClarisWorks (when Claris Corp. was spun off) (Mac computers) -> AppleWorks (When Apple re-acquired Claris) and then it was replaced by iWork (Pages/Numbers/Keynote) in 2007. This came to an end with iWork '09 -- iWork after this point is unable to open old Claris/AppleWorks documents, and is really a different product even though the interfaces look similar.

These days, LibreOffice is the swiss-army knife of old document formats, and can open some *Works document types (not terminal files, among others).

I seem to recall that Gobe Productive could open and save ClarisWorks Graphics files (which are bezier documents, not pixel-based paint documents that were introduced in later versions of AppleWorks) with enough accuracy to create and modify levels for Ambrosia Software's Avara -- the game that was too configurable for its own good.
Jorpho
Master Emulator

Post by Jorpho »

Someone pointed out that, surprise surprise, the 30-day trial of GoBe can still be downloaded.
http://download.cnet.com/GoBeProductive ... 69275.html

I doubt the registration functionality still works, though. I suppose the old trick of re-installing it every month in a fresh VM is always a possibility for the desperate.
psychosunshine
Space Cadet

Post by psychosunshine »

I'm not familiar with ClarisWorks. Although, I like GoBe Productive a lot. And, it still works well in Windows 7. The last Windows version available is 3.0.3. The trial version is 3.0.4. But, that version was never sold as a final release.

In it's day. It was one of the only applications that I knew of that could save to PDF format. Very nice!

Last edited by psychosunshine on Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.