trying to install application software on MacOS 753 from .IM

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

TerryNYC
Student Driver

trying to install application software on MacOS 753 from .IM

Post by TerryNYC »

Hi there,

I am newish to Macs, OSX experience only, and have never used a classic Mac until today. I installed Basilisk II as per the instructions and now have a classic Mac running on my Mac.

I'm trying to install two applications

* Trapeze 2.1
* Wingz

Both came as SIT files. Using Stuffit produced an error message that the file could have been uncompressed if I had Stuffit Deluxe. A good chase for that lead me to move the files to the Shared directory and run BetterZip on them and copy the result over to the MacOS753 desktop.

If I attempt to run either of them I receive this error message -- the document xxxxx.IMG could not be opened because the application that created it could not be found. Could not find a translation extension with appropriate translators. Although a web search has only left me more befuddled, I assume that people familiar with Classic Mac OS will know what this means and how to install / open the programs.

Thanks in advance for your help, Terry
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: trying to install application software on MacOS 753 from

Post by adespoton »

If it has a file extension of .img, it's a disk image file, not a runnable application. Add it to your list of disk images, or use Disk Copy under 7.5.3 to mount it virtually from inside the emulator.
TerryNYC
Student Driver

Post by TerryNYC »

thank you. I'll try this in the morning
TerryNYC
Student Driver

Post by TerryNYC »

Anxious to see Trapeze working I did not wait for morning.

However I found that Disk Copy is an additional utility (Google) and downloaded two versions: 4.2 & 6.3.3, neither of which seem to work on Mac OS 7.5.3

Does anyone have a solution to offer or an appropriate version of Disk Copy?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Most .img disk images can be mounted in BasiliskII by simply adding the files to the volumes list in the BasiliskIIGUI. Then no Disk Copy application needed.
TerryNYC
Student Driver

Post by TerryNYC »

Thank you so much! Trapeze and Wingz are both working. I have a lot of reading and experimenting ahead -- Mac OS, both of these applications, and likely several more apps --- all of which shall be a pleasure. Thanks again.