How resize MacOS partion on Imac G5 - PowerPC?

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

ruthan
Tinkerer

How resize MacOS partion on Imac G5 - PowerPC?

Post by ruthan »

Hello,
i want to install Ubuntu alongside of MacOS 10.4, but i dont know how to resize MacOS partition with Apple partition scheme, when i use Disk utility for partition, it could create new partition, but i will lost all data.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: How resize MacOS partion on Imac G5 - PowerPC?

Post by adespoton »

Use CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone your MacOS partition to an external drive, then partition the internal one, booting off the external one. Then set up your partition manager, and finally clone the external drive back to the new partition on the internal drive.

That's probably your best bet.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

And are these also in PowerPC version? Because before i have inserted disk to PC and used R-Drive - its worked, but know it have some issue - maybe some error on disk or something like that.

And what about disc utility from boot cd, can i count on whole HDD image, where are Linux partition included? I have MacOS 10.4 + Lubuntu 16.04.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/ ... ption.html -- should work on OS X 10.4 PPC and later. If 2.9 (the latest version) doesn't work, I know for sure that 2.7 will; it's available at alternate download locations.

I wouldn't count on a Disk Utility backup, as it sometimes doesn't set all the right boot flags for the drive; it only backs up the partition data.

I've never used R-Drive, so I can't say how well it works. I've been using SuperDuper and CarbonCopyCloner since 10.4 PPC (on a G5). Actually, I may have been using CarbonCopyCloner since 10.2 on a G3, but I can't find the old versions of CCC right now.
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

I have managed to use R-Drive in boot USB mod, i know if verify and repair with Disk utility or simply other mode helped, but i know have whole backup without error.

Only bad thing is that know after start is not started Yaboot - boot loader, but Mac boot loader - that is probably becaouse i have used Startup utility and there is only MacHD option, not Linux bootloader option - i only wonder how to make again Yaboot as default, i can hold ALT during boot is annoying, detection of Linux take half minute..

I wonder how Super Duper and Carbon Copy working, that procedure is strange, its possible just boot from some CD or USB, make whole HDD backup and again boot from CD/USB and make restore (include Linux ext4 partion)? If not is R-Drive and HDD removal better choice for me, only pain in the ass is that, i have used AppleGUI partition scheme, not GPT or MBR, so only R-Drive can recognize HDD, i have tried other tools like Paragon, Clonezilla etc and they not working with Apple Partition scheme.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Making an entire HDD backup and restore from CD/USB is likely the best way. Apple partition scheme instead of GPT could cause some problems; you may need to repartition as GPT to get dual boot as you want, and then restore your partitions separately from the partition. You may then need to overinstall 10.4.
Onlyzen
Space Cadet

Post by Onlyzen »

You will need to us iPartition but its not free and its work for me
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Why? Disk Utility has a built-in partition manager that works just fine....
ruthan
Tinkerer

Post by ruthan »

Disk utility at least on PPC mac has not resize and keep data option, so if exist something like PPC Mac partition manager with resize and keep data it would be better solution.