New Mac 512K Blog

Anything not about Mac emulation.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

Dog Cow
Student Driver

New Mac 512K Blog

Post by Dog Cow »

I recently started a Mac 512K Blog where I'm focusing on original research and investigation towards all subjects to do with the Fat Mac, such as software, repair, programming, peripherals, and history. It's chronicling my adventures and projects with a Mac 512K and 512Ke.

I have many articles planned out for the future, and the next one will be on Multi-Mac.

adespoton
Forum All-Star

Re: New Mac 512K Blog

Post by adespoton »

Thanks for the heads-up! Did Stacker run on the 512k, or was that just for 128k?

I have to admit, I moved from the 128k directly to a Plus, and so skipped the 512k altogether. The 512ke is essentially a Plus though, so if you're doing stuff on that, I may have some history to contribute :)

Up until 1993, my main computer was a Plus with a HD20. I eventually swapped out the 20MB SCSI drive in the HD20 enclosure for an 80MB drive from Quantum when I upgraded one of my later Macs to a 320MB SCSI drive.
Dog Cow
Student Driver

Post by Dog Cow »

adespoton wrote:Thanks for the heads-up! Did Stacker run on the 512k, or was that just for 128k?
I don't know. Wasn't that a disk compression utility that operated at the device driver level?
I have to admit, I moved from the 128k directly to a Plus, and so skipped the 512k altogether. The 512ke is essentially a Plus though, so if you're doing stuff on that, I may have some history to contribute :)
I own a Plus too. But this is the 512K blog, so I'm allowed to talk about the 512Ke, but not the Plus! :razz:
Up until 1993, my main computer was a Plus with a HD20. I eventually swapped out the 20MB SCSI drive in the HD20 enclosure for an 80MB drive from Quantum when I upgraded one of my later Macs to a 320MB SCSI drive.
You had the SCSI HD20? I have a disk port HD20 that has the PCPC SCSI upgrade board in it.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

Dog Cow wrote:I don't know. Wasn't that a disk compression utility that operated at the device driver level?
That's a name slip on my part; Stacker was indeed that disk driver level compression utility; I used it for a while under System 7. I was thinking of Servant.
Dog Cow wrote:You had the SCSI HD20? I have a disk port HD20 that has the PCPC SCSI upgrade board in it.
Yeah; I got one of the early runs of the SCSI HD20; it was WAY faster than the disk port version. Just think: we're now approaching 20TB drives.
Dog Cow
Student Driver

Post by Dog Cow »

adespoton wrote:
Dog Cow wrote:I don't know. Wasn't that a disk compression utility that operated at the device driver level?
That's a name slip on my part; Stacker was indeed that disk driver level compression utility; I used it for a while under System 7. I was thinking of Servant.
Ah, Servant. I've played around with that in the past. According to some posts from net.micro.mac, Servant requires the 128K ROM. Which you can put in the Mac 128K, to make a 128Ke, but then it's unclear whether you also need 512K of RAM.