Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.4)

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: Standalone SheepShaver for OS X (add ROM and OS 8.5-9.0.4)

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:57 pm [ like AppleScript's ability to be relatively easily debugged. That can't be sed for awk :D
Ouch!
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

Debugging sed is awkward.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The connection here turns out to be fast enough. I've notarized and uploaded revised versions of the Mac OS 9 app and the System761 app. Thanks again for everyone's help.
mabam
Master Emulator

Post by mabam »

This is even shorter:

Code: Select all

on getResolutions()

set resolutions to {}
	repeat with p in paragraphs of ¬
		(do shell script "system_profiler SPDisplaysDataType | grep Resolution:")
		try
			set {tid, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, {" X ", " x "}}
			copy {word -1 of text item 1 of p as number, word 1 of text item 2 of p as number} to end of resolutions
			set AppleScript's text item delimiters to tid
		on error
			copy {1440, 900} to end of resolutions
		end try
	end repeat
	# `resolutions` now contains a list of size lists;
	# e.g., with 2 displays, something like {{2560, 1440}, {1920, 1200}}
	return resolutions

end getResolutions
By referring to the items as “word”, braces and space are seen as delimiter automatically and don’t have to be set in a separate step.

No need to revise your apps again, though. I just wanted to post this for completeness. If at some point you update your apps anyway, you may or may not use this simplified script snippet.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I'll add that to the code for the next update. Since my own AppleScript is totally amateurish and redundant and spaghetti-like, it's good to have some parts of it that work efficiently. Thank you!
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Updated today with kanjitalk755's CapsLock fix and mabam's improved GetResolutions routine. I've also updated the SheepShaver Wrapper and my System761 app.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

All these apps (macOS and Windows) are now updated again with the latest code from kanjitalk755. Also, the Mac OS 9 app makes use of Mabam's terrific code for copying an image from the SheepShaver clipboard to the macOS clipboard.
de_199
Space Cadet

Post by de_199 »

emendelson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:58 pm Updated today with kanjitalk755's CapsLock fix and mabam's improved GetResolutions routine. I've also updated the SheepShaver Wrapper and my System761 app.
Where does one download the latest versions of these apps?

I'm looking for System761, OS 8.1, and OS 9.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

See first post in this thread.

Best,
Cat_7
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

de_199 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:10 pm
emendelson wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:58 pm Updated today with kanjitalk755's CapsLock fix and mabam's improved GetResolutions routine. I've also updated the SheepShaver Wrapper and my System761 app.
Where does one download the latest versions of these apps?

I'm looking for System761, OS 8.1, and OS 9.
And for the System761 etc. apps, forum rules forbid posting direct links, but you can search for

Mac OS 9 for OS X/macOS
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The installation instructions for the SheepShaver Wrapper were a bit unclear, so I've cleaned them up a bit. The software is unchanged.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

The SheepShaver Wrapper is now updated to the latest version from kanjitalk755.

I've also updated my standalone MacOS9 and System761 apps for the Mac, and the corresponding apps for Windows. No direct links allowed here, but they're easy to find through a web search.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I've now updated the SheepShaver Wrapper with the latest code from kanjitalk755. I've also updated my MacOS9 and System761 apps for MacOS only (not the Windows versions).
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Not working. Here's exactly what I did...

1. I started by downloadeding Sheepshaver Wrapper here.
2. I then downloaded New World ROM here.
3. I renamed the downloaded ROM file to be "Mac OS ROM" (no extension).
4. I launched "SheepShaver Wrapper.app" and it shows a dialog that says:

Drop a New World PPC ROM image file named "Mac OS ROM" on me.
I cannot start without this file.

5. I then quickly did what it asked, but nothing happened. Clearly, this "drop ROM on the dialog box" trick is NOT compatible with MacOS Mojave and/or my 2015 27" 5K iMac.
6. So I tried to outsmart the silly app by dragging and dropping the "Mac OS ROM" file atop "SheepShaver Wrapper.app". Nope. It coughs up an error dialog that says this:

Could not copy ROM file to this application. Sorry.

7. Frustrated to tears, I right-clicked "SheepShaver Wrapper.app" and chose "Show Package Contents" and then opened the "Contents" folder. I then manually copied "Mac OS ROM" into the root level and then launched the app. Nope! Tried again moving the ROM file to different folders, but to no avail.

8. I gave up and came here.

What do I need to do?
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Drop the ROM on the app itself, not the dialog box. Close the dialog box first if it is open.

EDIT: You said that you did that. Possibly your file has a hidden extension. Use Cmd-I to see if it does. If you drop the correct file and it doesn't have a hidden extension (or any extension at all), the app works correctly (as confirmed by testing it five minutes ago).

And if it still doesn't work on your system, then delete the app and try something else instead, preferably:

https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sh ... os_x_setup
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

emendelson wrote: Wed May 10, 2023 11:15 am Drop the ROM on the app itself, not the dialog box.
That worked to install the ROM, thank you. HOWEVER, even though the app now loads, I've yet to find a disk image file that will make it boot. I've tried several which claimed to be made for Sheepshaver. Usually, it gets to the boot splash screen and then it crashes.

For example, here's one of the latest images I tried...

https://www.emaculation.com/sheepshaver ... 85_PPC.img

But part way through the boot sequence, it crashes. Here are some screenshots...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yh2xq6spal9pi ... s.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aa696x7hi8ij3 ... g.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lcqheml41ooq4 ... g.png?dl=0

Here's the crash log...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wh2s2mznfy44j ... W.txt?dl=0

I have a late 2015 27" 5K iMac (Intel) running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

I just now installed MacOS 9.0.4 into the SheepShaver Wrapper from a disk image that I downloaded long ago, and I have no idea of where I got it from, so I won't be able to help. I hope someone else will be willing to help you.

EDIT: Also, this may or may not be relevant, but make sure to read the entire page about the SheepShaver Wrapper in case it has advice that can solve the problem.

EDIT 2: And this is no longer a SheepShaver Wrapper problem (because the Wrapper is working correctly), but a SheepShaver problem, so you may want to open a separate thread in the main SheepShaver forum.
adespoton
Forum All-Star

Post by adespoton »

emendelson wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:30 pm I just now installed MacOS 9.0.4 into the SheepShaver Wrapper from a disk image that I downloaded long ago, and I have no idea of where I got it from, so I won't be able to help. I hope someone else will be willing to help you.

EDIT: Also, this may or may not be relevant, but make sure to read the entire page about the SheepShaver Wrapper in case it has advice that can solve the problem.

EDIT 2: And this is no longer a SheepShaver Wrapper problem (because the Wrapper is working correctly), but a SheepShaver problem, so you may want to open a separate thread in the main SheepShaver forum.
Before creating a new thread in the SheepShaver forum, it's worth noting that there is already significant guidance on which install images work and which ones don't, and how some may appear not to work, but actually do work as long as you have "update drivers" disabled in the installer options.

The "then it crashes" seems odd though -- that may indeed be a wrapper issue, as I've yet to have any disk image crash SheepShaver.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

adespoton wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 3:08 pm The "then it crashes" seems odd though -- that may indeed be a wrapper issue, as I've yet to have any disk image crash SheepShaver.
The copy of SheepShaver inside the wrapper is my build from kanjitalk755's code, with only a different icon from the standard one. Maybe the app saw that the OP called it "silly" in an earlier post and resents it?

Of course, there could be a problem with the prefs that I use. This is what they look like after the AppleScript creates the file (by adding the user's folder as the unix folder, and setting keycodes to false or true (and, if true, identifying the keycodes file) depending on whether the system uses US/Canadian English or anything else):

Code: Select all

disk SheepShaver.4gb.sparsebundle
screen win/1024/768
windowmodes 0
screenmodes 0
seriala null
serialb null
rom Mac OS ROM
bootdrive 0
bootdriver 0
ramsize 536870912
frameskip 0
gfxaccel true
nocdrom false
nonet false
nosound false
nogui false
noclipconversion false
ignoresegv true
ignoreillegal true
jit true
jit68k false
keyboardtype 5
hardcursor false
hotkey 3
scale_nearest true
scale_integer true
cpuclock 0
yearofs 0
dayofs 0
ether slirp
mousewheelmode 1
mousewheellines 3
dsp /dev/dsp
mixer /dev/mixer
ignoresegv true
idlewait true
extfs /Users/<YOURUSERNAME>
keycodes false
Hmm... I just realized that my system keeps adding the line "keycodes false" even if it already exists. I don't think that should cause problems, but obviously it shouldn't be doing that. I'll have to fix that when I have some time to work over the code.

EDIT: I made the fix that prevents multiple "keycodes..." lines and uploaded a new version. All it needed was a new "try" block containing a one-line shell script.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Here on my macOS host, the current SheepShaver builds will crash when trying to startup from Mac OS 8.5 (or 8.5.1) disks with the new world rom. The old world rom will work fine for 8.5 (and 8.5.1). The new world rom will work with 8.6 through 9.0.4.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:44 pm Here on my macOS host, the current SheepShaver builds will crash when trying to startup from Mac OS 8.5 (or 8.5.1) disks with the new world rom. The old world rom will work fine for 8.5 (and 8.5.1). The new world rom will work with 8.6 through 9.0.4.
That seems to explain it! I'll modify my SheepShaver Wrapper page to clarify this. Thank you.

EDIT: I've updated my page. Thank you again.
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 4:44 pm Here on my macOS host, the current SheepShaver builds will crash when trying to startup from Mac OS 8.5 (or 8.5.1) disks with the new world rom. The old world rom will work fine for 8.5 (and 8.5.1). The new world rom will work with 8.6 through 9.0.4.
I certainly appreciate the help. It now boots.

HOWEVER...

You are given this scary dialog when you install the OLD WORLD ROM...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fsu9x3k2rg0xj ... g.png?dl=0

I can't help but lament the totally convoluted process required to setup Sheepshaver, at least in comparison to the relatively easily install and setup of Basilisk II and Mini vMac. SheepShaver setup is quite messy compared to those other two emulators, at least it is for me as a Mac user.

Consider what is said on the ROM download page here...
https://www.redundantrobot.com/sheepshaver

Specifically: "New World PPC ROM (best for SheepShaver)"
The keyword being "best."
And yet, when you install that New World "best for PPC" ROM thinking the words used are correct, you get a crash! So basically it is absolutely NOT "best" at all!

And then when you open the DOWNLOADS page here on Emaculation...
https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/downloads
...and then scroll down to "Bootable Disk Images" and download "Disk Tools 8.5 (ppc)" and boot from it (using the OLD WORLD ROM), it coughs up this error...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5at35700cshb6 ... g.png?dl=0

Sure, it boots to the desktop after you click OK, but still.

Ack!
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Right. Edward Mendelson will need to change the Wrapper application to accept also an old world rom. Maybe he will.

The new world rom is indeed "best" for SheepShaver, but will work only for MacOS 8.6 through MacOS 9.0.4. The old world rom file is best for System 7.5.3 through MacOS 8.5.1, but will also work with later MacOS versions up to 9.0.4.

Not sure why you chose the SheepShaver Wrapper.

Do you insist on setting up SheepShaver with MacOS 8.5 specifically?
You can do a regular SheepShaver setup on Windows for any MacOS version from System 7.5.3 through MacOS 9.0.4.
Setup manual: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_setup
Downloads: viewtopic.php?t=5325

Or you can install a ready to use SheepShaver for Windows with MacOS 9.0.4 installed or a ready to use BasiliskII for Windows with System 7.5.1 installed.
For both, search the web for "Mac OS 9 for Windows".
JDW
Inquisitive Elf

Post by JDW »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:51 am RYou can do a regular SheepShaver setup on Windows...
I'm a strictly Mac-only guy who has no Windows machine. So my intent is strictly for use on a relatively modern Mac, in my case a late 2015 27" 5K iMac running MacOS Mojave 10.14.6.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

Ronald P. Regensburg wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 7:51 am Right. Edward Mendelson will need to change the Wrapper application to accept also an old world rom. Maybe he will.
Excellent reminder. Thank you. I've now updated the app to give an appropriate prompt when a ROM file with 4,194,304 bytes is dropped on it. That's the size of the Old World ROM at the Redundant Robot site. I can add other sizes if anyone finds any.

And to the OP, yes, Ronald is right. There is absolutely no reason to use the SheepShaver wrapper unless you need it.