File Sharing with Chubby Bunny

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

AAPES
Space Cadet

File Sharing with Chubby Bunny

Post by AAPES »

Just set up Chubby Bunny emulator on my OS 10.5.8 mini. Can't figure out how to share files between the emulator and my OS 10 machine. I have a shared folder and I see the Unix folder on the emulator. But files put in them do not show up in the other location. Can anybody help? Thanks.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

Chubby Bunny COI is pre-configured to have /Users/Shared/ as the shared folder.

Note that applications will not run properly from the Unix disk. Application files need to be copied to one of the other volumes (disk images) first.
AAPES
Space Cadet

Post by AAPES »

Could you explain that - what is an example of a disk image that I would use for adding an application? Where would it be or how would I create it? I am now able to pass files back and forth between the emulator and my OS 10 machine, but I have so far not succeeded in adding or running any software to the emulator. Thanks.
enriqueg
Inquisitive Elf

Post by enriqueg »

AAPES wrote:Could you explain that - what is an example of a disk image that I would use for adding an application? Where would it be or how would I create it? I am now able to pass files back and forth between the emulator and my OS 10 machine, but I have so far not succeeded in adding or running any software to the emulator. Thanks.
If you're booting OS 9 in Chubby Bunny, you have a disk image, where Mac OS 9 is installed. A disk image is a file in the "host" system (Mac OS X) which is used to store the files in the emulator's "hard drive".

For example, you want to download an application called "MyApp". It's on the file "MyApp.sit".

1. Download it in OS X.
2. Put in shared folder.
3. Boot Mac OS 9. Go to "Unix" and copy/move the .sit file into the hard drive (the other drive icon in your OS 9 desktop, such as "Macintosh HD" or "COI".).
4. Extract and then, execute the application.

If you haven't got Stuffit Expander into OS9 (when I tried the COI's Mac OS 9, it hasn't got it.), extract it under OS X, then put the application folder/icon (with a prohibition sign on it as a Classic app) and, in Chubby Bunny, copy it to your hard drive from the Unix drive. Then execute.

You shouldn't execute an app which is into the "Unix" drive. It will not run properly.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

If you run out of space on the system volume, you can add additional volumes. Additional empty disk images (400, 800, and 1200MB) are provided with Chubby Bunny and you can add them to be mounted as disks in SheepShaver by dragging them into /Users/Shared/

It is explained in the ReadMe COI that comes with Chubby Bunny.
AAPES
Space Cadet

Some Progress - but still stuck

Post by AAPES »

Thanks for your help. I'm making some progress thanks to you.

I was able to download Stuffit Expander 7.0.3 and to transfer it to the emulator.
When I tried to expand it - it opened the instructions window and looked like it was working, but after I selected a folder to open it in, the beach ball never stopped spinning; so I bailed and tried again and this time it told me I need more space on the drive.

I tried what you said - I put the 1200Meg.dmd file in the shared folder, but I couldn't open it in OS 9.
When I tried opening it inside the shared folder in my OS 10 machine it created a drive on the desktop of my OS 10 machine. If I try to drag that into the shared folder it just creates a shortcut that can't be read from the OS 9 machine.

I'm obviously missing some step here. If you can help again I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

The file you opened in OSX is used as a hard disk in Mac OS in SheepShaver. Please do not open it in OSX and Mac OS at the same time! So, remove the link, and trash the icon of the disk from the OSX desktop.

For your other issue you'll have to wait till Ronald replies. I know nothing of Chubby Bunny.

Best,
Cat_7
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

To use one of the provided disk images in COI/SheepShaver, put it inside /Users/Shared/. Do not mount it in MacOSX and do not try to open it in the Unix disk. Just quit COI/SheepShaver and launch it again. The disk image will then appear on the SheepShaver desktop as a disk.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

In what form did you download Stuffit Expander? How did you transfer it into the emulator? Just like with any application, you cannot run it from the Unix disk and you cannot run it when it was moved directly from the Unix disk onto the desktop (that will only put it onto the Unix disk's desktop). You need to copy it from the Unix disk to another volume first. That can be the system volume or an additional volume that was added as I described above.
AAPES
Space Cadet

Expander

Post by AAPES »

I moved it from the Unix folder to the OS 9 desktop and ran it from there. It opened up fine and asked me to agree to the conditions of use and to specify a location to put it. So it looked like it was being processed fine. I think the issue was not enough disk space to put the expanded application. As I described in my previous note, I couldn't figure out how to get the 1200MEG.dmd to be accessible from OS 9. I can only see it on the desktop of my OS 10 machine.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Expander

AAPES wrote:As I described in my previous note, I couldn't figure out how to get the 1200MEG.dmd to be accessible from OS 9. I can only see it on the desktop of my OS 10 machine.
1. Start with COI/SheepShaver NOT running
2. Extract the file 1200Meg.dmg from the 1200Meg.blank HD.dmg.zip archive by double-clicking the zip archive.
3. Do NOT open the 1200Meg.dmg image in MacOSX (= do not mount the volume on the MacOSX desktop)
4. Place the file 1200Meg.dmg inside the /Users/Shared/ folder
5. Start COI/SheepShaver
6. The volume "1.2Gig" will mount on the COI/SheepShaver desktop and can be used as a additional disk.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Expander

AAPES wrote:I moved it from the Unix folder to the OS 9 desktop and ran it from there. It opened up fine and asked me to agree to the conditions of use and to specify a location to put it. So it looked like it was being processed fine. I think the issue was not enough disk space to put the expanded application.
That was most probably because you ran it after moving it from the Unix disk onto the MacOS9 desktop. It will try to expand onto the Unix disk but the Unix disk file system confuses the application. You can transfer files through the shared folder/Unix disk feature and you can open document files from the Unix disk and save document files to the Unix disk, but all other files should be copied to a different disk first. (Try command-I on the Unix disk and you will see that to the Finder it is not a normal Mac disk.)

Note that in MacOS (unlike in MacOSX) the desktop is not one single location. Each mounted disk/volume has its own desktop. Moving the file from the Unix disk onto the MacOS9 desktop does not copy it, only moves it into the (in MacOS9 invisible) "Desktop" folder on the Unix disk.
AAPES
Space Cadet

Another Success - Another Question

Post by AAPES »

Again thank you - that worked. I was able to follow your instructions and get the 1200MEG image mounted and to expand stuffit. I could not possibly have succeeded without your guidance.

The reason I was trying to do this in the first place is that I have a lot of old files that I want to convert to more current versions - Word and Excel files mainly. Do you have any idea how best to proceed?

I have an old Mac Mini that runs Classic (PowerPC not Intel). Can I somehow take programs from it and convert them to .sit files and then move them to the OS 9 emulator? Or I think Appleworks has some translation modules. Is there a way to move that over to the emulator? I have Appleworks 6 on my OS X computr. The end result I want is to be able to open these old Excel and Word files on my current OS X Intel machine using NeoOffice (the openoffice near clone of Word and Excel). Appreciate anything you can do to steer me in the right direction.

Thank you.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: Another Success - Another Question

AAPES wrote:Can I somehow take programs from it and convert them to .sit files and then move them to the OS 9 emulator?
You can. But if the application is installed with various files across the system, you need to transfer all those files for the application to work properly.
Or I think Appleworks has some translation modules. Is there a way to move that over to the emulator?
The Classic version of AppleWorks is an example of an application that has files installed in several places in the System Folder. If you do not have the AppleWorks installer, you will need to transfer all those files manually.
The reason I was trying to do this in the first place is that I have a lot of old files that I want to convert to more current versions
I have an old Mac Mini that runs Classic (PowerPC not Intel). Can I somehow take programs from it and convert them to .sit files and then move them to the OS 9 emulator?
Why do you make it so complicated? It is much easier to do the file conversions in Classic on your old Mac Mini than trying to move the applications from the Mac Mini to SheepShaver to do the file conversions in SheepShaver.
AAPES
Space Cadet

Post by AAPES »

The reason for not doing it on the other Mac mini is that it has a problem with the hard drive and will shut itself off after a few minutes if there is any stress - running any program will do it. For example after about 10 minutes of running only Itunes it shuts down. That's why I'm trying to create a work-around soluton.

A second reason is that all the files I want to convert are on my Intel Max OS X machine. But the first reason is the most important one.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

resizing the SheepShaver window

Post by dickplotz »

I'm not particularly interested in full-screen operation, but I'd like to be able to get to the bottom of the window the application provides, so I can resize it and access the icons at the bottom. Since the resize handle on a Mac window is only at the lower right (one of the few advantages of the Windows interface I can think of), I'm stuck. Or am I?

Dick Plotz
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Re: resizing the SheepShaver window

dickplotz wrote:II'd like to be able to get to the bottom of the window the application provides, so I can resize it and access the icons at the bottom.
Not sure about what kind of window of what kind of application you are talking.

Are you talking about a window that opened partly outside the emulator's screen? Click the resize button, the second button from the right in the window name bar.

Or are you talking about icons in a Finder window that moved far apart, or about icons on the OS9 desktop that moved out of sight across the border of the screen? Click "Clean up" in the View menu in the Finder.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

clarification on window

Post by dickplotz »

I'm talking about the window within which the emulator runs.

From OS X 10.6.4 running on a MacBook, I double-click on the OS 9 icon for the application called Classic. A new window opens called SheepShaver, and the OS 9 emulator boots within this window. In the upper right corner there's an OS 9 disk called Classic HD, and a Unix disk. At the bottom of this window I see the very top of the trash can, but the bottom edge of the window is offscreen. The yellow button minimizes the entire window, and the green button is grayed out.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Being pre-configured, Chubby Bunny COI has only few possibilities of setting screen resolutions. Its SheepShaver window may open in a resolution of 1024x856, which is higher than the hight (800) of your MacBook screen.

Go in the emulator to the Monitors control panel (Apple menu > Control Panels > Monitors) and set the screen resolution to 800x600. The window will resize accordingly and you can drag the window in a better position on your screen.
dickplotz
Inquisitive Elf

screen size

Post by dickplotz »

Thanks! That worked.
asdf
Space Cadet

Re: resizing the SheepShaver window

Post by asdf »

I'm trying to install from a CD disk onto a Chubby Bunny, but the Machintosh HD says it has only 25 MB, and while I have mounted and added the space necessary (the 1 gigabyte addition in memory), I can't access it. It's invisible on the desktop, and when I try to select it to install, it gives me the following error:

"The selected disk named "Unix" is a network server volume. The Installer cannot install on network server volumes. Please select another disk."

So I have the memory now, I just don't have anything else going for it. I can't find the 1.2GB anywhere in the os9 except when I'm trying to install. As a result, it is stuck in networked drive. So one drive has no memory, the other is a networked drive that won't take files.

Edit:

Okay, I've followed your advice to the letter, and it has appeared in the shared folder as a .dmg file. If I click it in OS9, nothing happens, it says: "The document "1,200meg.dmg" could not be opened, because the application program that created it could not be found."

Sigh. Okay, I've managed to create a folder on the desktop (finally) that's relying not on Classic9, but on the folder from Unix, so I have more than 25 MB available to me. Unfortunately, I still can't do anything with it, because it keeps saying: "The selected disk named "Unix" is a network server volume. The Installer cannot install on network server volumes. Please select another disk."

EDIT:
HA! GOT IT! Nevermind!
BluePeter
Space Cadet

Installing Programs

Post by BluePeter »

It seems critical to be able to install StuffitExpander, so that .sit (and .sit.hqx) files can be expanded. However, simply copying the StuffitExpander installer from Unix to, e.g., Applictions does not work, as SS can't launch it. Any suggestions?
(Running SS on Snow Leopard)
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Do you use the regular SheepShaver or Chubby Bunny (the subject of this topic)?

What do you mean with "Applications", the Applications folder on the MacOS system volume?

Which Stuffit Expander installer did you try, where did you get it, and what kind of file is it?

If it is a self extracting archive (.sea) or a self mounting image (.smi) file, you should be able to use that archive after copying it inside the emulated machine from the Unix disk to a volume that is mounted from a disk image added to the volumes list (in SheepShaver) or from a disk image with one of the required names added to the /Users/Shared/ folder (in Chubby Bunny).