how do I get files into the 1200mb virtual drive?

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

outerspace.visitor
Space Cadet

how do I get files into the 1200mb virtual drive?

Post by outerspace.visitor »

I installed Chubby Bunny months ago. I added some documents to the Unix drive.
I don't remember how I put them there.
now I've created a new user in Snow Leopard, and when I log in as that user, I can launch OS9 (Chubby Bunny) and the Unix drive is still there, and it's got all my old documents.
But they all are locked.
And, I can't add anything to the Unix drive.
I don't know how to get past this.
When I try to drag files to it, it won't accept them. I just get the circle with a slash.
I can't delete any of the old documents, either.
What am I missing....?
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I guess the old documents are owned by the old user.
You can assume ownership by doing a "get info" on the files and change the ownership.

Best,
Cat_7
uyjulian
Apple Corer

Post by uyjulian »

1 shift click the files or folder
2 command-i the files/folders
3 click the lock
4 enter ur password
5 add the group "Everyone" and change it to read & write
Last edited by uyjulian on Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

The folder on the MacOSX side that the "Unix" disk refers to in Chubby Bunny is /Users/Shared/. That is where your files are and that is where you can add or remove files on the MacOSX side.

Indeed, files owned by one MacOSX user cannot be changed or moved by a different MacOSX user. You cannot move those files from the "Unix" disk to the MacOS desktop because that is equal to moving the files in MacOSX to /Users/Shared/Desktop/. You will probably be able to copy the files from the "Unix" disk to another volume/disk in MacOS, though.

Note that you should not trash files from the "Unix" disk (or from files dragged from the "Unix" disk to the MacOS desktop) on the MacOS side. Even when you own the files on the MacOSX side, you cannot empty the trash with those files. Trashing those files should be done from /Users/Shared/ on the MacOSX side.

If you want to change ownership on files as described above, you need to do that on the MacOSX side.