Will Chubby Bunny be updated for Lion ?

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Will Chubby Bunny be updated for Lion ?

Post by rlesperance »

Hi,

This is maybe out of context, but maybe not, since it is an easy and useful adaptation of Sheep Shaver it self. I know that is is easy to find the last version of Chubby Bunny (4.0.1) on the web ... but will Chubby Bunny be updated to work on Lion ?

Who is the author of Chubby Bunny and how can I get in touch with this genious fellow ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lespérance
Québec, Canada
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

Post by Ronald P. Regensburg »

We do not support Chubby Bunny here and I have not heard about any future plans for Chubby Bunny. It can indeed be found in several places on the web and in file exchange communities, but the original site seems to have been removed.

The latest SheepShaver build posted in this forum runs in Lion. The only Lion-specific issue that has been reported so far is that in Lion full screen mode cannot be used.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thank you Ronald ... Could I request why Alexandre Daigle is written beside your name on the site ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

rlesperance wrote:Thank you Ronald ... Could I request why Alexandre Daigle is written beside your name on the site ?
It is the ranking system here. Like you, I once started here as 'Space Cadet". After passing other ranks you may finally reach "Alexandre Daigle".

I suppose that the owner of this site is a hockey fan. ;-)
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

I have not yet upgraded to Lion and am presently running Chubby Bunny. I like CB very much. It is stable and all previous version of SheepShaver gave me problem or idiosyncrasies I was not able to resolve. CB runs well ...

Can I try out the Lion version of SheepShaver on my Snow Leopard machine while I am also running CB ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

rlesperance wrote:Can I try out the Lion version of SheepShaver on my Snow Leopard machine while I am also running CB ?
It is not possible to use a standard SheepShaver setup as described in the setup guide and Chubby Bunny alternately because SheepShaver and Chubby Bunny use the same prefs file and each time Chubby Bunny is launched it will overwrite any settings made for SheepShaver.

If you want to try SheepShaver following the setup guide, you will need to first delete the prefs file with the script that is included in the SheepShaver download. You can then set up and use SheepShaver. As soon as you launch Chubby Bunny, you will have the Chubby Bunny configuration back, but the SheepShaver configuration will be lost.

A self-contained .sheepvm "virtual machine" setup is possible next to Chubby Bunny because it will use its own separate prefs file. Although compatible with SheepShaver builds since October 2009, I have not yet described that setup in the guide. Information can be found in this forum topic: http://www.emaculation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5754
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thank you Ronald ... What about if I open SheepShaver on 2 users at the same time ? Is this possible or will they be in conflict ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

The prefs file is saved in the user's Home folder, so you can run Chubby Bunny in one user and run SheepShaver in another user. You should not use the same disk images for MacOS startup volume etc. in both instances at the same time, that will cause file system corruption on those volumes. If you set up SheepShaver in a different user, best use a different setup with new files created in SheepShaver or make copies of the disk images used in Chubby Bunny for use in SheepShaver.

Note that the specific use of the /Users/Shared/ folder is a Chubby Bunny peculiarity that is generally not advised for SheepShaver.
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Thank you Ronald ...
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

I didn't find the Chubby Bunny prefs file. What's the exact name of the file ? Do you know where I can find it ?
rlesperance
Mac Mechanic

Post by rlesperance »

Ronald ... Is there a way to change the size of the displaying window in my Chubby Bunny setup ?
Ronald P. Regensburg
Expert User

rlesperance wrote:I didn't find the Chubby Bunny prefs file. What's the exact name of the file ? Do you know where I can find it ?
The prefs file that is used by both SheepShaver and Chubby Bunny is the file ".sheepshaver_prefs" in your Home folder. It is invisible in the Finder.

Code: Select all

Is there a way to change the size of the displaying window in my Chubby Bunny setup ?
In the regular SheepShaver you can set the emulator's window size (screen resolution) to any size you like in its preferences. Chubby Bunny does not let you change the window size by normal user actions. If you would edit the ".sheepshaver_prefs" file to change the size, Chubby Bunny would overwrite it the next launch with its rather unusual 1024x855 default.

If you want to try, you can edit the file inside Chubby Bunny where this is determined:
Right-click (or Control-click) on the Chubby Bunny (COI (Classic-On-Intel) V4.0.1 "Chubby Bunny".app) icon and choose "Show Package Contents" from the menu. The package opens in a window with a file "COI" (COI.app) and a folder "Contents". The file COI is in fact another package. Right-click on COI and again choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu. This package opens in a window with a folder "Contents" and a file "hih1".

The file "hih1" can be opened in TextEdit. Find the line:
screen win/1024/855

You can edit the values for the window size and save the file. Next time you will launch Chubby Bunny, it will use the new size.