tell application "System Events" to count windows

About unsupported SheepShaver configurations, like COI (Chubby Bunny), SheepShaver Wrapper, etc.

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

MadDonna
Space Cadet

tell application "System Events" to count windows

Post by MadDonna »

Hello all,

I will introduce myself in another post. But...

I need help with the following (I'm really bad at searching, so if it's already been, please provide the link to that post);
When starting the preconfigured SheepShaver MacOS9 emulator, I get a message that the application does not have permissions to send Apple events to the finder (code -1743).

The Apple script also states the following:

tell application "System Events" to count windows.

Apparently this is not possible, anyone else having this problem?

System:

iMac 2012 (late)
CPU : i5
memory 8 GB
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Re: tell application "System Events" to count windows

Post by emendelson »

The "not authorized to send AppleEvents" problem is a well-known problem with AppleScript on Ventura running under OpenCore. It occurs with any reasonably complex AppleScript app. It seems also to occur with Monterey under OpenCore and perhaps earlier versions running under OpenCore.

There is no solution, but you can ask the OpenCore developers to try to provide a fix. Until they get this fixed, the only solution is to run the program in a macOS version that is natively supported on your system (without OpenCore).

Also, you might try my standalone SheepShaver version that doesn't use AppleScript. It should work correctly under OpenCore, but I haven't had any reports either way:

http://www.columbia.edu/~em36/selfcontained.html
MadDonna
Space Cadet

Post by MadDonna »

The System 7 is working, tried the MacOS Nine, but that one crashed. Don't know why.
emendelson
Forum All-Star

Post by emendelson »

MadDonna wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:15 pm The System 7 is working, tried the MacOS Nine, but that one crashed. Don't know why.
OpenCore presumably. It works perfectly on every Apple-supported system that I've tried.