MacOS Leopard installer can't make the computer start up

About Qemu-system-ppc, a PPC Mac emulator for Windows, macOS and Linux that can run Mac OS 9.0 up to Mac OS X 10.5

Moderators: Cat_7, Ronald P. Regensburg

z16166
Space Cadet

MacOS Leopard installer can't make the computer start up

Post by z16166 »

hello,

I want to install MacOS Leopard PowerPC version in QEMU(Windows version).
After nearly 3 hours, just at the end of installation, the error message says "the installer can't make the computer start up form the XXX volume". How to solve it? thanks!

There is only one volume in "macos.qcow2".

Leopard ISO is downloaded from "https://isoriver.com/download-your-file ... nstall.iso".

Detail command line info:

I:\PowerPC>qemu-system-ppc --version
QEMU emulator version 4.1.0 (v4.1.0-11789-g013a2ecf4f-dirty)
Copyright (c) 2003-2019 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers

I:\PowerPC>qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu -cpu G4 -m 512 -cdrom osx_leopard_install.iso -hda macos.qcow2 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -device sungem,netdev=mynet0 -sdl -usb -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -device VGA,edid=on
Cat_7
Expert User

Re: MacOS Leopard installer can't make the computer start up

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

I just installed 10.5. It also notifies me it cannot make the volume bootable. But it also suggests to use the start-up disk utility to select the boot drive. The drive does show up there and is bootable after restart. I do not know whether this step is necessary or that the drive would be bootable anyway.
Did you try booting from the disk, or did you assume it would not boot?

btw: your command line is too complex:
I:\PowerPC>qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu -cpu G4 -m 512 -cdrom osx_leopard_install.iso -hda macos.qcow2 -netdev user,id=mynet0 -device sungem,netdev=mynet0 -sdl -usb -device usb-mouse -device usb-kbd -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -device VGA,edid=on
I:\PowerPC>qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot d -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -cdrom osx_leopard_install.iso -hda macos.qcow2 -sdl -device VGA,edid=on
would do the same and would not add an additional usb controller and mouse/keyboard.

To boot the hard disk you need:
I:\PowerPC>qemu-system-ppc -L pc-bios -boot c -M mac99,via=pmu -m 512 -hda macos.qcow2 -sdl -device VGA,edid=on
Best,
Cat_7
z16166
Space Cadet

Post by z16166 »

I have successfully installed and booted Leopard with your simplified commands. Thank you.

The emulation is far too slow. And there is no gcc/g++/gdb installed, I just want to learn PowerPC assembly instructions with live debugging.
Cat_7
Expert User

Post by Cat_7 »

Hi,

When I read installation took 3 hours (takes a little over 1 hour on my machine) I thought it would slow ;-)
Even on my machine Leopard is slow.
To install the compiler, add the xcode application (probably on your dvd image). Then install the command line tools.

Best,
Cat_7
z16166
Space Cadet

Post by z16166 »

All developer tools are successfully installed and work well. great!
Finally the installed os is not so slow, the terminal/xterm speed is quite acceptable, that's enough for me.

I can fluently play game "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild" with CEMU emulator on this computer, so I think there may be some space for QEMU to improve performance.

Thank you!